News   Jul 22, 2024
 170     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 282     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1K     0 

Sharon Yetman's Subway Safety Plan (Better barrier for subways 'an obsession')

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because her 'solution' uses doors from Walmart (or maybe it is Home Depot) and ignores having to comply with relevant building codes and transportation safety by-laws and operations.

Maybe Canada's Wonderland could benefit from these... you know... with all those rollercoaster jumper suicides...

and with that comment, I vote to close this thread.

I've placed the posts about the TTC's scheme for platform edge barriers into its own thread. We can keep this one for discussing Sharon's plan.

I think I've finally figured out Sharon's plan. It took me a long time to visualize it, but I contacted Home Depot on what they feel are the best doors to use, and they've priced out these doors that range from $100-300 apiece, and use natural wood, great glass, and the sliding door is half decent. It might get stuck once and awhile, but apparently, they've guaranteed it would work.

Once you see this visualization, I hope you all understand as well. We need to give Sharon more credit than you would think.

There are two variations. The single row, and the double row. To save money, Home Depot offered to provide the warning flags for free!!!

Attachments

• sharon2.jpg
    sharon2.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 249
  • sharon1.jpg
    sharon1.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 233
subway safety

But they stole Sharon's plan didn't they? :confused: :cool:

You are absolutely right..... and I will be telling this to Mr. Gary Webster at my meeting, now you have it folks, this Monday.

Hey whose the wise guy who added "was"?

I will have you know that it has been mine (and others) hard work over the last two years that got this victory.

This is 1/2 the battle. Did you know though it will be about 25 years befor the traditional method would be in place. That equalls 450 deaths for commuters and drivers to watch, and 2.23 hours of subway shut down in rush hour weekly.

Hmm, hope you get on the lucky train without the misery.

Oh yes, now it is up to tax payers. Would you rather pay 1 billion dollars or 30 million dollars for the "same product" platform safety, and both are automated doors.

Oh yes, one you continue to push and shove just like before.

Oh yes, if you choose the billion dollar choice. add another billion to complete the ATO, which by the way, will not do anything, unless, you fix Yonge & Bloor which is another billion.

My innovation 30 million fixes all of the above in about 6 months. In fact, even if you fix Yonge / Bloor with a secondary platform etc. It is only with my innovation that one can effectively stage your train to make sure it is evenly loaded. That's adds a bonus of 10 % capacity.

Check out Chile Metro. Interesting story. Dec 2006, they had 1.3 million daily commuters, by March 2007 they had 2.3 million in just 4 months.

Guess what they did. Station skipping. Now they commute an extra 1 million daily. I wonder how Toronto would fare if an extra 1 million landed on their doorstep ???

The article is in Railway Gazette March issue. They even praised how station skipping had higher extra passengers/hour than to that of ATO.

Are you starting to take me seriously yet?
Sharon

Sharon, did you tell Chile about how to skip stations, or did they figure it out on their own?

Actually ,

because of their urgent need to actually do the job they are supposed to do which is to "move the masses", not 1/2 the masses.
...they then presumeably were in a crisis situation and had to figure it out for themselves.

Having looked at their station skipping plan, I feel mine is superior. They hit every 2nd station , and tend to have a lot of "all station stops",. My original maps looked closer to their set up now.

Innovation is like that it takes a few rounds to get to the best.

If someone could. Someone should post one of the line maps, describing the Operation Expresso, It shows the colour coding on each line separately and the specific instructions, It is quite cool.

They did a good job. My maps the instructions I feel are a little more understandable, but the colour approach is good and simple too.

Chile is a country. There is no subway/metro servicing it. It's capital city, Santiago, is where you're talking about about.

From wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transantiago
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santiago_Metro
One consequence of Transantiago is that the Metro system, which was to be a backbone of the system, was overwhelmed with over six users per square meter. The increase in usage was reported as having gone from 1,300,000 to 2,200,000. Metro president Blas Tomic was quoted as saying: "The capacity of metro has reached its limit" and the Colegio Médico (Chilean Medical Association) recommended that the elderly and users with medical conditions stay off the system.

Transantiago was a government initiative which revised all the bus routes which created a feeder system to their subway system, instead using a a more disjointed system. IE, the increase in ridership was from the rerouting, as I understand it, and not directly from the station skipping.

Last edited:
You are absolutely right..... and I will be telling this to Mr. Gary Webster at my meeting, now you have it folks, this Monday.

Why didn't you tell him that when you spoke to him for 20 minutes last year? Everyone knows the TTC has been toying on and off with platform barriers for years, so it's not like this is a novel idea. Just what content exactly did you change his demeanor with if it wasn't about platform barriers, saving lives, increasing capacity or skipping stations?

I will have you know that it has been mine (and others) hard work over the last two years that got this victory.

Not! You haven't had the meetings you claimed you've had. Your proposals don't hold up to any kind of scrutiny. So it just looks plain batty for you to try and claim credit for something that is demonstratively not what you have proposed.

Hmm, hope you get on the lucky train without the misery.

Specifically when was the last time you ever rode the subway? How many times have you actually taken the subway in your life?

Are you starting to take me seriously yet?

You've yet to present any reason for anyone to take you seriously so are you seriously asking that question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back