News   Jul 17, 2024
 439     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 970     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Sharon Yetman's Subway Safety Plan (Better barrier for subways 'an obsession')

Status
Not open for further replies.
At what point does an "open pit", "moving trains" and oh yes, lets add "electrification" meet safety code.
You really do miss the point, nor have you read my posts.

You do not need 300 metres in order to provide safety.

If your are an engineer try reading "Safety Requirement with Stations" 3.3.1.17 and 3.3.1.22 and tell there isn't something wrong with this picture. Oh yes, when subways were first built OHSA laws, required subway to provide protection. The only reason they got away with it I think is because a blind eye was given during the first few years, and then UNSAFETY became the norm.

Just because I am not an engineer, does not mean I am not right. As fas as a cost factor I have a price quote a 18 foot fully automated glass doors meeting CSA approval and break away features etc. cost $9,600 supplied and installed. Just add headers, posts and taxes.
Sharon

Subway Safety

Thanks Keithz for posting the patent application.

Remember for the masses who go south from Finch to Bloor or any stations south of Finch depending which train you board from Finch you can arrive at any station you need to.

Also, all stations are served going south. Nothing changes for all passengers. As far as the very few that a otherwise effected. This would likely only amount to about 5% of your passengers, and even then at say 8:30 everything's back to "normal".

This station skipping and "express subway" allows for double the masses. This is MASS TRANSIT isn't it. not 1/2 the masses as we are commuting today, when it could be twice as many people. It's all about the BIG picture.

No track fires, no dead people, no accidents, almost no PAA's ,(hardly no time to become ill), no door jams, no door charging, no door prying, just utter efficiency, reliability, and comfortableness. These are foreign words to transit agencies in general.

Safety is the open window for new possibilities. Yes of course a small few will be to a certain amount negatively effected. Remember years ago, we just put out the garbage. Now it is like a full time job to keep it all separate and organized. This is all part and parcel for caring for our environment together.

That's the whole problem. Nobody's looking at the BIG PICTURE. Hope you enjoyed my drawings etc. It's hard to be all things to all people. Remember I am primarily the inventor. The inventor has to be open to work with the industry as a team. I did choose to be an inventor. It just happens. This is now my 3rd of 6 patent pending inventions. The language, the technicallities etc. are all now cleaned up since my application, since I was on a time restraint for my filing. I could just provide the basics of the unique and novel function and description etc.

Don't we all want to get to work reliably on time, and perhaps in (for the masses about 95% of you) in about 1/2 the time,, in a train that would likely be nearly 1/2 full, and of course have a safe platform environment.

I can't remember who commented about the engineering etc. Do you have to get an engineer in to install your home doors.
Come on. It's not that complicated. It's a door. There are billions of them worldwide. Yes of course the header has to be so thick and so strong, and the post cannot be 1/2 an inch thick. But it is just a door that comes CSA approved.
Sharon.:D

At what point does an "open pit", "moving trains" and oh yes, lets add "electrification" meet safety code.
You really do miss the point, nor have you read my posts.

You do not need 300 metres in order to provide safety.

If your are an engineer try reading "Safety Requirement with Stations" 3.3.1.17 and 3.3.1.22 and tell there isn't something wrong with this picture. Oh yes, when subways were first built OHSA laws, required subway to provide protection. The only reason they got away with it I think is because a blind eye was given during the first few years, and then UNSAFETY became the norm.

Newly implemented safety standards usual include some grandfathering. In this case the TTC is not obliged to implement recently developed safety standards immediately. It has nothing to do with turning a blind eye. Authorities generally understand that such massive changes in the rules can be extremely disruptive. So they make exceptions of give organizations lots of time to comply.

Just because I am not an engineer, does not mean I am not right. As fas as a cost factor I have a price quote a 18 foot fully automated glass doors meeting CSA approval and break away features etc. cost $9,600 supplied and installed. Just add headers, posts and taxes.
Sharon

You should note that just because something is CSA approved does not mean it will meet engineering standards. When you engineer something, you have to ensure that appropriate safety margins are applied for that situation. Glass can be CSA approved and still not meet the safety margins required for that situation. And I strongly suspect in this case $9600 will not cover any design that will meet engineering and safety standards.

Also, nfitz was referring to the legal requirement that all persons who practise engineering in Ontario have to be licensed and registered professional engineers. This is the law. Failing to comply with it, can result in prison time, if somebody gets hurt due to your designs. But in this case, I am confident that's not going to happen, since no engineer will sign off on your drawing unless the absolutely believe your designs are safe.

Last edited:
Ho-ly shit...have you guys read the patent docs!?! They are A-MA-ZING! There's even a small electrical charge on the outside of the barriers to keep passengers back!

This can't be real. Ashton...is that you?

Platforms now can be air conditioned, and or heated properly. These costs will dramatically be lower.

Not really. any barrier sealed enough to contain heated or cooled air would promptly break anytime a train passed through [read, the glass would shatter]. If the glass was strong enough not to shatter, when the barrier was opened the pressure differential would create an unpleasant wind tunnel.

Plus, the barrier reflected in the patent proposal documents does not provide a full barrier anyways with open space at the very end for passenger exiting.

Moving on to the patents, wow - the system might be able to be installed at a handleful of stations. Even then, you have to think of this: When passenger screen doors were designed for other systems, even for new build systems, why did none come out looking like yours? As for cost, you seem to be leaving out the cost to retrofit the ceilings of stations to support your contraptions, and engineering the system to fit in all the different ceilings for different different roof heights. Also, I would think the system would have to adapt to the different slopes on every platform. A fair bet would be that every system would have to be custom designed. Also, the test work to prove that the system would reliably operate for lets say 3 months of normal use without maintenance would be expensive. Also, your system would require some sort of wireless interaction between the operators and the lift since conductors/passengers guards don't sit in the same car on every train, trains stop in different places on the platform, and new trains will only have humans at two ends.

Now on to the actual passenger flow - did you every stop to think that you are causing almost every rider to walk at best a half platform length and at worse a full platform length when they are getting off the train? needing to clear disembarking passengers from the 'safety zone' before opening up the loading doors will add a fair amount of dwell time, not decrease it. Not only that, but you also force all unloading passengers through choke points at the ends of platforms, forcing them also to interact once again with the loading people. Given that the loading waiting zone will be even more crowded due to the lost space of the safety zone, you are just transferring the 'hustle and bustle' of loading to the platform.

I still think the station idea has merit and would actually work (if you continued to skip stations downtown), and that might be a patentable idea. But what your ''flow' patent application is not is technically innovative, or a new idea (think about isolated passenger flow for 'swing gates' at airports.)

subway safety

Not really. any barrier sealed enough to contain heated or cooled air would promptly break anytime a train passed through [read, the glass would shatter]. If the glass was strong enough not to shatter, when the barrier was opened the pressure differential would create an unpleasant wind tunnel.

Plus, the barrier reflected in the patent proposal documents does not provide a full barrier anyways with open space at the very end for passenger exiting.

Moving on to the patents, wow - the system might be able to be installed at a handleful of stations. Even then, you have to think of this: When passenger screen doors were designed for other systems, even for new build systems, why did none come out looking like yours? As for cost, you seem to be leaving out the cost to retrofit the ceilings of stations to support your contraptions, and engineering the system to fit in all the different ceilings for different different roof heights. Also, I would think the system would have to adapt to the different slopes on every platform. A fair bet would be that every system would have to be custom designed. Also, the test work to prove that the system would reliably operate for lets say 3 months of normal use without maintenance would be expensive. Also, your system would require some sort of wireless interaction between the operators and the lift since conductors/passengers guards don't sit in the same car on every train, trains stop in different places on the platform, and new trains will only have humans at two ends.

Now on to the actual passenger flow - did you every stop to think that you are causing almost every rider to walk at best a half platform length and at worse a full platform length when they are getting off the train? needing to clear disembarking passengers from the 'safety zone' before opening up the loading doors will add a fair amount of dwell time, not decrease it. Not only that, but you also force all unloading passengers through choke points at the ends of platforms, forcing them also to interact once again with the loading people. Given that the loading waiting zone will be even more crowded due to the lost space of the safety zone, you are just transferring the 'hustle and bustle' of loading to the platform.

I still think the station idea has merit and would actually work (if you continued to skip stations downtown), and that might be a patentable idea. But what your ''flow' patent application is not is technically innovative, or a new idea (think about isolated passenger flow for 'swing gates' at airports.)

There is an answer to every question.

One must first admit two things.

One do we have a problem?

Yes.........you can't walk anywhere safe in the city. You can't drive, ....gridlock. And you don't move. On the transit system. there are delays virtually every single day....wherethere you realize or not.

The city is not moving. And what move there is, is not moving well.

The second thing that needs to be admitted, is we must find BIG SOLUTION, for this BIG PROBLEM.
Adding new extention lines to TTC only exasperates the exiting problems we have.

I have 3 patent pending inventions unique to subway platforms that improve passenger flow and provide cost effective safety.

This patent application is the first, and how ammendments to it.which will not show on the original application.

There is a reasonable answer to every concern. Hurricane doors are only $400 dollars extra per unit if the tunnel pressure is great enough to require it. There are other solutions too that can minimize tunnel pressure. ie. Widen the tunnel opening at the train entrance, provide release holes to reduce the tunnel pressure.

There are answers to all problems. There first must be a will to move the move more efficiently, more reliably, and more safely.
Why is every one a critic. The BIG SOLUTION is here to move the masses. You must first provide safety in order to station skip. This is either a portion, or all or none of what I have created. I believe the fact that the safety is no longer on the edge and the fact that passenger flow is "physically" separated is the key to setting the stage, for staging your train, and providing extreme cost effective platform safety. Right now there are primariliy two products for platform safety. One at 10 million dollars a station and my invention which has a range from about $200,000 and $800,000 per station. The invention also and most important accommodates the fact that you do not need ATC, precision braking or uniform rolling stock,...this is where the "uniqueness" and "novelty" comes in.and of course the "separated passenger flow".

It is impossible to commute passengers reliably, efficiently, effectively and safely, without platform safety.
What was previously seen as too costly, unfeasible, non sensicle, and non productive is NOW the KEY.

On the first day of operation, about 90% or more will immediately be surprized. Awe, I got to work in 15 minutes, a week goes by WOW, I am still getting to work in 15 minutes. A month, two months, three months go by, UNBELIEVABLE, I have got to work every day, without fail, in 15 minutes. Oh yes, I guess there was one morning it was about 22 minutes. Where now that same rider every day is between say 30 minutes and 45 minutes and say 1 hour or more on occassion.

Those door prices are a mass order which is the precise cost it is for Wallmart. for a 18 footer. This is why I will not yet sell it to a door manufacturer until I am met with the transit agencies direct such that there are no ridiculous middle man charges. This is about the people and their fair price, not to have middle men charge 3million per station for the job just because they are the "middle man", when in reality they are just everyday automated doors or even if need be everyday automated doors with a hurrican rating if need be.
Sharon.

Responding to Darwingo's post,

This is why this whole process has taking 15 different prototypes in the creation of "separated passenger flow".

This why I have 3 patent applications and not just one.

Innovation is never a one shot deal. But it does start with an innovation idea. This innovative idea is "unique", "novel" and "useful" in that passenger flow for single sided platforms MUST BE and CAN BE SEPARATED.

You fix your hub of the city, you fix a great deal of your city.

What TTC is doing now at Yonge and Bloor, is precisely what I have my patent application for. This application is prior to any other patent in the world and is prior to any transit agency using a physical component in separating passenger flow for a single sided platform.
I invented that as fas I have attempted to discover through thousands of hours of research. To date no one has shown me otherwise.
The traditional "wall of people" in front of train doors has been an ongoing problem for ever.
Excessive dwell times has been an ongoing problem for ever.
Look what they do in Japan, they actually spend almost an extra whole minute just to shove the last 10 guys on. How ridiculous is that.

Separating passenger flow, staging your train, and platform safety is the way to achieve these solutions. This is in "short form" what I have invented. Whether it is up and down, swing out, recessed in the floor, side to side, as long as it separates passenger flow in and as a "phsyical component" , this is what I have invented. Things like that optional charge, are just options.

As an up and down method I like the motorized screen wall best.....you see them in places like florida and all.

Ideally I like the standardized automated door system best of all. But I am not the transit agency the product choice, the materials used, the options added, the special side features are their choice not mine. I invented "separated passenger flow" for single sided platforms using an "apparatus", while having the capability for specific intented "method" or "methods". The uniqueness falls under the category of "separating passenger flow" using an apparatus found no where worldwide, so far.

OK, so if i understand the diagrams correctly, those posts are only waist height and the screens are only supported by cables. What's to stop a TTC user from being hit in the head if the screen were to sway? There is nothing on the bottom of the platform screen to prevent swaying caused by air pressure of moving trains, wind gusts, or someone intentionally hitting it. Even the force caused by the screen being raised and lowered would be enough to cause the platform door to sway while suspended. I also fail to see any locking mechanism once the platform screen actually reaches the bottom.

Even your concept of a "Safety rope" makes little sense. By having someone freely suspended by a rope while they are climbing out of the pit, aren't you drastically increasing the chances of someone inadvertently touching the third rail? If I am not mistaken the third rail located on the platform side. That, and the fact that anyone falling into or being pushed into the pit would likely be injured, and possibly unable to support their own weight being pulled up on a rope. I'm not sure about the exact layout of each platform, but i am sure there is a way to access track level without falling in, such as ladders or stairs behind a restricted access door.

Last edited:
Even your concept of a "Safety rope" makes little sense. By having someone freely suspended by a rope while they are climbing out of the pit, aren't you drastically increasing the chances of someone inadvertently touching the third rail? If I am not mistaken the third rail located on the platform side.

The third rail is always located away from the platform. Not that I'm defending her concepts or drawings or anything like that.

Do you have to get an engineer in to install your home doors.
Come on. It's not that complicated. It's a door. There are billions of them worldwide. Yes of course the header has to be so thick and so strong, and the post cannot be 1/2 an inch thick. But it is just a door that comes CSA approved.
Sharon.:D
Except this is not 'just a door. You are installing a system that has safety implications and requires platform structural mods. A PEng will have to sign off. and that's usually the case for any system or process involving public safety. Please read up on engineering and the law. If you can't understand the difference between installing a door at home and doors on a platform safety systems nd the implicationof each, you will be laughed away in the meetings you have.

Ho-ly shit...have you guys read the patent docs!?! They are A-MA-ZING! There's even a small electrical charge on the outside of the barriers to keep passengers back!

This can't be real. Ashton...is that you?

Actually, based on the customer service of the TTC as of late, this would be right in line with how they treat customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back