News   Apr 25, 2024
 111     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Shabby Public Realm

Yes, but no, not always. I spend time in Montreal every month,and I will agree that Montreal can do some really good things, and look really good as well doing so with imagination, flair and panache not always seen in the more regimented and regulated T.O. And then not. There are all sorts of areas, corners, streets, parks and shopping venues in Montreal that rival T.O. for general shabbiness and lack upkeep, maintenance, investment and energy. And the never ending misuse of the paint spray can. Both of these cities are suffering from lack of investment, reflected in their operating budgets, and the shared need for services that higher levels of government seem fit to downplay.
I am originally from Québec of course, my last stay in MTL was in 2019 and, well... my husband and I ordered glasses of champagne at the restaurant at the top of Place Ville-Marie to celebrate our departure. I don't know what it is about Montréal but I have always disliked it. Number one on my list of annoyances: it's the middle of summer and there is no air conditioning in the subway.

Back