444     0 

Senate Passes Stem-Cell Measure Bush Says He'll Veto

• Thread starter prometheus the supremo
  • Start date
P

prometheus the supremo

Senate Passes Stem-Cell Measure Bush Says He'll Veto

By William Roberts and Scott Cendrowski

April 11 (Bloomberg) -- The Senate fell short of a veto- proof margin in approving legislation today to lift President George W. Bush's 2001 ban on federal funding for new embryonic stem-cell research.

The Senate voted 63-34 in favor of expanding federal funding for stem-cell research using discarded human embryos. The vote showed little shift in Republican support for stem cell research after Democrats won control of Congress in the 2006 election campaigning on a promise to lift Bush's ban.

Supporters had sought to secure the two-thirds of the Senate needed to override a promised presidential veto. Bush reiterated he will veto the bill when it reaches his desk.

``This bill crosses a moral line that I and many others find troubling,'' Bush said in a statement released by the White House after the Senate vote. ``If it advances all the way through Congress to my desk, I will veto it.''

Three Democratic senators who would have voted `yes' were absent, meaning the vote might have totaled 66 had all three been present. ``I would have voted `aye' had I been here to vote,'' said Senator Mary Landrieu, a Louisiana Democrat who said she missed the vote because she was traveling.

Connecticut Senator Christopher Dodd also didn't vote, nor did South Dakota Senator Tim Johnson, who is recovering from a brain hemorrhage.

``In reality, we do have 66 votes,'' said Senator Tom Harkin, an Iowa Democrat and leading sponsor of the legislation. ``Three better than last year. So the momentum is building. I think the overwhelming majority of Americans and their members of Congress want to take the shackles off researchers.''

Hope for Cures

Advocates of stem-cell research say using cells taken from discarded human embryos may lead to cures for diseases such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's, juvenile diabetes and Lou Gehrig's disease as well as spinal cord injuries and other ailments.

Bush issued an executive order in August 2001 prohibiting federal support for research using newly created embryonic stem cells on grounds it would destroy human life. He allowed research to continue on about 71 pre-existing embryonic stem- cell lines, of which 21 remain viable for research.

Elias Zerhouni, director of the U.S. National Institutes of Health, told Congress last month the available lines under Bush's order aren't sufficient, and ``the momentum of research'' in the U.S. can't be sustained unless the ban is lifted.

Congress passed a law last year lifting the ban and Bush used the first veto of his presidency to block it.

``We cannot have tomorrow's miracles if we tie scientists hands with yesterday's rules,'' said Republican Senator Gordon Smith of Oregon. ``It is a morally right thing to do. It is a pro-life thing to do.''

`Moral Boundary'

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, a Kentucky Republican, said the ``moral boundary that it crosses is troubling to me and to others.

``Biomedical research must be done in an ethical manner and with respect for human life,'' he said.

Senator Bob Corker, a Tennessee Republican who replaced former Majority Leader Bill Frist, voted against the measure. Frist, a medical doctor, had voted in favor of the bill.

Three Democrats voting for the bill replaced Republicans in November's election who voted against the bill last year. They were Jon Tester of Montana, Jim Webb of Virginia, and Claire McCaskill of Missouri.

Democrats Bob Casey of Pennsylvania and Ben Nelson of Nebraska voted against the measure.

Two-Thirds Majority

If all 100 members of the Senate were to vote, a veto override would require 67 votes. With only 99 present and voting the number would be 66.

Advocates and opponents said there isn't enough support in the House to override a veto. The House voted 253-174 on Jan. 11 to lift the ban, short of the two-thirds needed to override.

``It's going to be vetoed, and it's unlikely there's going to be a veto override,'' said Senator Sam Brownback, a Kansas Republican who opposes using embryonic stem cells for research.

Harkin said supporters may try to attach the legislation to a spending measure that must pass because it funds government agencies.

Privately funded researchers and state institutions aren't prevented from conducting the research, and scientists in the U.S. are conducting a wide range of experiments using stem cells derived from embryos. Advocates say federal funding would give U.S. researchers a greater opportunity to make advances.

Second Proposal

The Senate measure would allow federal funding for stem- cell research using lines derived under strict ethical requirements from among excess in-vitro-fertilization embryos.

A second proposal, sponsored by Minnesota Republican Senator Norm Coleman, passed 70-28, would promote research into developing stem-cell lines that wouldn't require the destruction of potentially viable human embryos.

Coleman urged its approval as a path around ethical constraints so that federal funds could be used to support new research without undoing Bush's ban or provoking a presidential veto.

``Scientific research should be something that we as a society can embrace,'' Coleman said.

Senator Johnny Isakson, a Georgia Republican who co- sponsored the alternative Senate proposal, said it allows ``the promise of embryonic stem-cell research'' to go forward while ensuring that ``ethical lines are not crossed.''

him and his twisted supporters.

he's mcfly's biff tannen.

PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- I am pleased to join millions of Americans in thanking Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and Senators on both sides of the aisle for putting partisan differences aside and passing S. 5, the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act. It's a great day for scientists and patients across this country.

This vote reaffirms the Senate's commitment to funding embryonic stem cell research that provides hope to patients and families living with diseases and disorders including cancer, diabetes, spinal cord injuries, heart disease, Alzheimer's and even Parkinson's.

Today a majority of the U.S. Senate, a majority of the House of Representatives and over 70% of Americans support expanding funding for stem cell research. I am hopeful that President Bush will consider their wishes and not stand in the way by vetoing this important legislation.

Michael J Fox

CONTACT: Media contact, John Rogers, +1-414-978-5498, for Michael J Fox

Human sperm cells have been created artificially for the first time, scientists said on Thursday.

The ground-breaking research offers hope to thousands of men with low sperm counts or who have been left infertile by cancer therapy.

Fully-functioning reproductive cells could be manufactured in laboratories within five years for use in in-vitro fertilisation treatment, experts hope.

German scientists took samples from the bone marrow of male volunteers and isolated stem cells known as mesenchymal cells, which were already known to be able to grow into body tissue such as muscles.

These cells were then treated with vitamin A to transform them into primordial germ cells – the first stage in the production of sperm. Some then developed further into more advanced spermatagonial stem cells.

Prof Karim Nayernia
Prof Karim Nayernia, who carried out the research

'We are very excited about this discovery, particularly as our earlier work in mice suggests we could develop the work even further,' said Prof Karim Nayernia, who carried out his research at Göttingen University but now works at the North-East England Stem Cell Institute in Newcastle.

He is studying how to force spermatagonial cells to enter the final stage of development, called meiosis, which is when they start dividing into mature sperm cells.

'If we could solve this problem, and I think it is possible, the next stage will be to produce functional sperm,' Prof Nayernia added.

Pro-life campaigners welcomed the research. 'This is using Mother Nature in the best way possible,' said a spokesman for the Life charity.

'Yet again, we see another example of how adult stem cells can be used to deal with the miseries of people.

'This shows we don't need to create embryonic stem cells.'

shaking my head. this is a great discovery but how can you compare apples to oranges? adult stem cells have proven to provide positive therapies for some conditions but when dealing with organs, spinal cords, brain tissue, etc, they can not provide the same results (according to what i've read so far) as embryonic stem cells would.

it's funny how hall these articles about the wonders of adult stem cells come out during the same time when embryonic stem cell laws are being debated. i follow these discoveries
every day - i have RSS feeds to inform me and i can see a pattern.

yes, adult stem cells can help some conditions but they can't help them all. it would be nice if they could, don't get me wrong.

tens of thousands of embryos are discarded every year. what a waste.

of course there are no restrictions for private funding on embryonic stem cell research but public funding would make the research more available to the little guy and not just the large companies. it's my opinion that the cures brought in by embryonic stem cell therapy won't come from the large established pharmaceutical companies because their business is established and they've already spent billions on their research and they might not wanna start all over with new treatments that will make their old research and development obsolete. of course this is because their profits are comfortable and not under any threat at the moment.

the cures will come from the university students, the small startup companies, etc. that need government grants. they will bring the cures into the spotlight because they want to start their own business empires. capitalism will prevail but government funding would give it a headstart.

once the startup company becomes a giant and threatens the older giants with its profits, the older giants will be forced to keep up with the times or die off.

Bush renews call for 'culture of life'

By ANN SANNER, Associated Press Writer Fri Apr 13, 5:22 PM ET

WASHINGTON -
President Bush, at the national Catholic prayer breakfast, stressed his opposition to easing restrictions on federally funded embryonic stem cell research, a reference to a bill he's threatened to veto.

"In our day there is a temptation to manipulate life in ways that do not respect the humanity of the person," Bush said Friday. "When that happens, the most vulnerable among us can be valued for their utility to others instead of their own inherent worth."

The Senate on Wednesday voted 63-34 to pass the measure that it hopes will lead to new medical treatments. The vote, however, fell short of a veto-proof margin needed to enact the law over Bush's objections. The House, which passed similar legislation earlier in the year, is expected to adopt the Senate's version in the weeks ahead.

"We must continue to work for a culture of life where the strong protect the weak and where we recognize in every human life the image of our creator," Bush said.

His brief speech also included a call to Congress to pass immigration reform, a prayer for U.S. troops serving abroad and praise for Catholic schools across America. Later Friday, Bush planned to meet with parochial education leaders and parents at the White House.

The prayer breakfast at a Washington hotel attracted religious leaders, members of Congress, Chief Justice John Roberts, Justice
Samuel Alito and top government officials. After the president spoke, a female heckler shouted "War criminal! War criminal!" It was unclear whether the president heard her.

Bush, a Methodist, noted that this year's prayer breakfast occurred the Friday after Lent.

"You can eat your bacon in good conscience," he joked.

--------------------------------------------------------------

if only that pretzel would have done its job. >:

In our day there is a temptation to manipulate life in ways that do not respect the humanity of the person

Just in our day and just this one issue? Going beyond mere temptation and invading another country on a false pretext has "manipulated" many lives and has certainly short-changed the notion of respecting the humanity of the person in the process.

bizorky, but it's okay. didn't god tell him to do it?

or was it the booze?

doesn't this constitute as a reason for commitment to a mental institution?

it's bad enough his brain is a peanut. did anyone check his skull for squirrels??

US Stem Cell Bill-Potential Bush veto?

Everyone: I am all for stem cell research. GWB in my opinion is playing to his hard right base-the Religious Right.
This research has the potential to help so many-that is why the vast majority of Americans support it. LI MIKE

Re: US Stem Cell Bill-Potential Bush veto?

i like to refer to them as the religious wrong.

If "God" did'nt want us to use stem cells s/he (it) would not have created it, I believe that if stem cells can do all the wonderful things claimed then what the hell should we care what a bunch of ultra right-wing bible-waving fanatics care, it is true that one just might be the most powerful person on the planet, and leader of the free world (kinda make you fell like we all may be screwed) but only for another year and a bit, then who knows, perhaps Hillary, perhaps Obama, or perhaps Rudy will allow stem cell research and use...

If "God" did'nt want us to use stem cells s/he (it) would not have created it

careful, don't use their logic. it's a slippery slope with no grab bars. they could easily say if god didn't want people to die from "whatever" he wouldn't have created "whatever".

you must use the path of reason.

they preach saving life and ending misery in iraq and using adult human sacrifice to do so. it's okay yet making use of cells that would end up in the grabage is immoral.

also, spending a million dollars on a program to adopt embryos - "potential people" (less than 200) while there are real "alive" starving children to be looked after and adopted.

"snowflake children because none of them are alike and they are all white"

- jon stewart. LOL

I was just stating that I doubt that we were gifted with higher brain functions so we could figure out how conduct a more effecient form of genocide, I believe stem cells are there to benefit all mankind, and it annoys me greatly, when people discard something like this just because thier religion is against it, where in the bible does it say "thou shalt not use stem cells"? I dont get it, we need to start thinking with our heads and not relying so much on so-called faith to guide us...

If there's anything we need to wage open war on, it's religion. Religion is managing to contribute significantly to the destruction of this planet. For instance, it is a major component of the recalcitrance of the US to be involved in reducing GHG. Why reduce GHG when the rapture is only a few years away? These people will destroy humanity.

People who advocate 'open war' on religion almost scare me as much as religious nuts.

Back