2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 521     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Sears Canada (1952-2017)

• Thread starter CanadianNational
  • Start date
I checked out the Yorkdale location a couple weeks ago. They're already in liquidation. Lots of empty shelves and big messes. Their selection of clothes is garbage. No wonder they can't compete. Outdated looking stores and ugly clothes. Do we know yet who will move into this space? Is it still Simon's?

Not to mention the advertising. "We told ___ that we'd be taking away his Kenmore Range for a week." "That's okay, I'll eat jerky." No, he'll buy one somewhere else you yutzes!

Not to mention the advertising. "We told ___ that we'd be taking away his Kenmore Range for a week." "That's okay, I'll eat jerky." No, he'll buy one somewhere else you yutzes!

Yeah I know. I hate those commercials. Especially the Winter Parka commercial. Cringe worthy.

I wouldn't be surprised if what's now the lower level of Sears is going to be converted to stores rather than be part of whomever is taking over.

Toronto Eaton Centre to get a new retail anchor
Who will move into the huge Eaton Centre space that will be vacated by Sears Canada in February?

Sears Canada says it is selling the leases on five more of its department stores, including its flagship location in Toronto's Eaton Centre, above.. The $400 million transaction is the largest sale of leases since the retailer began shedding assets and cutting jobs.
By: Francine Kopun Business reporter, Published on Tue Oct 29 2013

In a move that had begun to feel inevitable, Sears Canada announced Tuesday morning it will be vacating the Toronto Eaton Centre at the end of February, opening one of the best retail addresses in the country to stores vying for prime spots in a crowded market.

Among the possible contenders: Nordstrom, Saks Fifth Avenue, Bloomingdale’s and Simons, the family-owned Quebec department store that has begun expanding outside the province.

Retail consultant Wendy Evans said the space is so large it could be rented out to two or more retailers.

“For most single stores, I think it would be too big,” said Evans, founder of Evans & Company Consultants Inc. Evans worked in expansion planning and research at Eaton’s when it opened the Eaton Centre in 1977.

“I think the first thought would be Nordstrom and second, potentially, Saks. It would be really great if Cadillac Fairview pulled that off,” she said.

“There could be several large tenants.”

When it first opened, the Eaton store was 900,000 square feet on nine floors, according to business writer Rod McQueen in his book, The Eatons.

But the upper floors are occupied by Sears Canada head office operations and Sears will retain the upper four floors, said Sears chief executive officer Doug Campbell in an interview on Tuesday.

He said the downtown head office location is popular with employees.

Evans said Bloomingdale’s, now owned by Macy’s Inc., has long been interested in moving into Canada.

She didn’t rule out the possibility that the space could be claimed by a single retailer – the Bay store opposite the Eaton Centre on the south side of Queen Street West is one million square feet. Evans estimates roughly 800,000 square feet are in retail use.

The space will require major renovations to accommodate new tenants, said Evans.

Nordstrom has already announced it is opening five department stores in Canada, beginning with a Calgary location in the fall of 2014, and Sherway Gardens and Yorkdale in the fall of 2016, but it has yet to land a marquis location in downtown Toronto.

Nordstrom is also looking for sites for its discount Nordstrom Rack stores in Canada.

“We are hopeful that we can land a downtown location so that we can better serve customers in Toronto. While we continue to work toward this goal, at this time we just don't have anything specific to share as to where this might be or where we are in the process,” said Nordstrom spokesperson Colin Johnson.

John G. Crombie, national retail director of the global real estate firm Cushman and Wakefield, said Nordstrom seems like a good fit for the location.

“I think it makes more sense for the Nordstrom folks to come downtown,” said Crombie.

It also offers Cadillac Fairview an opportunity to revitalize the area of the mall anchored by Sears.

HBC announced in July that it had purchased Saks Fifth Avenue for $2.9-billion (U.S), and planned to open up to seven full-line Saks stores in Canada as well as two dozen locations under its Saks Off Fifth discount stores.

The Bay has been renovating the store on Queen Street West. Putting a Saks into the north end of the Eaton Centre where Sears is now would bookend the mall with HBC properties.

The Toronto Eaton Centre is one of the busiest and most productive in Canada and operates 364 days a year. It is closed only on Christmas Day.

Saks is one of the world’s leading luxury brands.

Simons owns flagship properties in Quebec City and Montreal selling unique fashions designed in house and by up-and-coming designers. It also has a store in the West Edmonton Mall.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2013/10/29/toronto_eaton_centre_to_get_a_new_retail_anchor.html

At Pacific Centre in Vancouver, Cadillac Fairview is extending the mall through the lowest level of the former Sears store, with Nordstrom occupying 3 levels above that and office space taking the last 4 levels.

The Nordstrom will have no presence in the mall other than an elevator (and maybe escalators up).

For the office floors, they are currently constructing atria to make them more appealing
- however, no office tenants have been announced and it appears that the space is still unleased.
So keeping Sears' office in the top of the TEC store may just save Cadillac Fairview from some headaches.
However, it would prevent the wholesale re-cladding and upgrading of the building as is being done in Vancouver.
Would Nordstrom move into a building that still looks like the way it does?

Who the hell can affaord to shop at Nordstrom, or Saks? Keep those stores in Bloor-Yorkville or Yorkdale. I would rather see a Macy's, Kohl's or Simons, replace Sears.

Who the hell can affaord to shop at Nordstrom, or Saks? Keep those stores in Bloor-Yorkville or Yorkdale. I would rather see a Macy's, Kohl's or Simons, replace Sears.

The same people who can afford to shop at the stores on the top level of Eaton Centre now. Some of those places aren't cheap!

The same people who can afford to shop at the stores on the top level of Eaton Centre now. Some of those places aren't cheap!
[sarcasm]Who in the right mind locate an Apple Store in the Eaton Centre? Those Macs are extremely overpriced! One can get a Windows computer much cheaper![/sarcasm]
Well, right. Macs are of course not cheap. They have high quality and I am typing this post with my Mac. Yes, the Apple Store belongs in the Eaton Centre. After all, it is Toronto's most popular tourist attraction.

When it first opened, the Eaton store was 900,000 square feet on nine floors, according to business writer Rod McQueen in his book, The Eatons.

It was actually ten floors...I distinctly remember the retail floors going from the 7th floor Annex all the way down to Minus 3 (that was all painted black with lots of neon and housed "street wear" for young people. And I'm pretty sure it topped one million square feet.

The Eaton Centre location of Sears has started their "Closing Sale" early, since yesterday morning. I thought they would have waited until after Christmas. The sale is okay, but not great. Most merchandise is 10-40 percent off, plus an extra 10 percent if you use their credit card. Everything is final sale though, and the Eaton Centre store is not honouring any other coupons or discounts that the other Sears locations are offering.

Back