News   Apr 19, 2024
 342     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 8.9K     2 

Scotiabank Cinema

Just small news today. The Imax theatre beginning today will have assigned seating just like Ultra AVX.

Also on the same day Coke will introduce their new self serve Freestyle soda fountains that were only available in the U.S. at the theatre were the Burger King used to be. Scotiabank Theatre for the time being is the only Canadian location that serve cherry Coke and Pibb ( Coke's version of Dr Pepper ). The existing soda fountains will be rip out from the counters.

Out of curiosity do you have a list of the best performing theaters in the GTA ?

Anybody recall or know a link that refers to what Scotiabank payed for the naming rights for the Paramount?

I seem to recall hearing Colossus was one of the best per-screens of anywhere in North America...Wish I could remember where.

Good news about the IMAX seats too. I'm quite happy to pay the extra couple of bucks to have reserved seats with AVX and like the idea of not having to show up an hour early for IMAX screenings like I do now. Do you know if this is just at Scotiabank or all the Cineplex IMAX screens?

That wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

I always find: Suburban locations are by large and far busier then ones in dense urban areas. As generally there are many alternatives in the core, actually that's only one part of it.

The other part being I find going to a movie, is more popular with kids in the suburbs for whatever reason.

Parmount does seem to get fairly busy, but I bet it wouldn't be in the top 10 list in the GTA, or just crack it. Now the AMC downtown, it always seems empty !

The other part being I find going to a movie, is more popular with kids in the suburbs for whatever reason.

More things to choose from to do downtown obviously. I used to go to the movie theatre a lot when I lived in Scarborough. Now that I live downtown, I hardly ever go because there are a million other things I can do.

The Imax theatre is closed for the last few days because it is getting new seats that are the same as the Ultra AVX except it is in black vinyl. Each seat cost $160 and they are designed to keep out bed bugs.

I wonder if they wouldn't take this downtime as an opportunity to install digital IMAX projectors? "Dark Knight Rises" could possibly be one of the last IMAX on film presentations as the IMAX Corp. aggressively moves towards digital presentations in their venues.

I do not heard anything about Scotiabank is getting digital Imax but I do agree this is the right opportunity during new seat installations. Colossus Woodbridge already converted theirs into digital.

Last edited:
Well, it has a bar inside. The room is use for corporate rentals.

It's also used as a green room during TIFF and special movie premieres throughout the year (for example, The Hunger Games premiere, which featured a few of the film's stars who had been interviewed at muchmusic prior to the screening).

In tandem with this announcement, I think it's possible that Scotiabank Theatre may be closed. I can see the merit of keeping them both, but because of the no competition clause, they can't both show the same movies and it would be like operating two competing theatres within walking distance of each other owned by the same operator. My hunch is that the Y&D will become the new Scotiabank Theatre and this property will be sold off.

Original announcement in the 10 Dundas E thread:

Cineplex also operates the Scotiabank theatre on Richmond St. West and John. Because of the no competition clause, both theatres cannot show the same movies because they're within a certain radius of each other. This leads me to believe that Cineplex will close the Scotiabank Theatre.

This may be wishful thinking, but it's not a stretch to imagine that Cineplex and/or Scotiabank will put some money into 10 Dundas East, perhaps buying the naming rights. The word is that they bought 4 AMC theatres for a bargain so they'll have a budget to invest in re-branding the properties as Cineplex, which in Yonge & Dundas' case, I hope it includes the common areas of the building and its exterior.

At the very least, we'll see the signage changed outside, the ticket booths at street level rebranded and likely the entire theatre areas brought in line with Cineplex's dark and neon branding.

We may finally see some movement on improving this property.

Back