News   Apr 24, 2024
 196     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 510     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 3.1K     7 

Scotiabank Cinema

I guess all the suburb's a living room with the movie theatres it's big screen TV with surround sound.

The grammar police should have a field day with this ;) .

As I pointed out earlier on this thread, the $20 a head opera broadcasts have brought new audiences to the Scotiabank Theatre - and all the broadcasts have sold out.

At first we were just dazed-middle-aged-people experiencing the former Paramount for the first time. Now, with each broadcast, we "newbies" are beginning to form a small community of sorts - I recognize people from COC events there for instance.

With a small bank branch, a few decent eateries instead of candy and popcorn, and a renovated upper level lounge ( which is already kinda like the City Room ) in the complex, Scotiabank can probably turn a bigger profit than by sticking with their traditional teen movie crowd. They're a bank - they wouldn't be making these changes if they couldn't.

Scotiabank doesn't own the theatre formerly known as the Famous Players Paramount - Gerry Schwartz owns Cineplex which owns the theatre. Scotiabank just paid for the naming rights and the right to deface the exterior.

Though I am surprised that the broadcasts have sold out there.

A great yawning hunger for all things operatic stalks our land.

I guess this means the end of that FU IS PARAMOUNT sign. (Actually FUN IS PARAMOUNT, but with the N being yellow, it's hard to see...)

It was an appropriate sign, as that is how one often felt after leaving the latest "blockbuster."

I'm not one to scream out "dated" and "overdue for a makeover"; but if anything's currently at that stage of existence, it's the Scotiabank complex...

It was on fire a long time back, looks like they never fixed it since then.

So I contacted them the other day regarding the cube, and also the fact that the signs were off, and it was dark outside. It looked like the place wasn't even open haha. For a place with a bank's name on it, you'd think they'd spend more money on this theatre.

Anyway, they replied to me. Here's the reply:

Hi Kris,

Thank you for feedback regarding our exterior signage. At this time we are in the process of re-designing the signage. It is a long process as several companies are involved and is a very timely project.

As for the lighting is scheduled to come on at 9pm daily 9 and this might be a little too late, we have changed this to 8pm now.

We do appreciate your feedback. I have shared your comments to my superiors as well.

Hope to see you soon at the movies.

Thank you,
Adrian Neagu
Senior Operations Manager

So that is good news. Sounds like the cubes days may be numbered though.

Hopefully they have a clue to change their timer to 7pm by this time next month. Geeze, how lame.
In the past 3 or 4 years almost every time I see a movie at Scotiabank there's a problem, the screening gets canceled because of a technical problem (twice), the projection bulb is flickering badly (a regular problem), blown speakers fluttering (another frequent problem), the picture isn't centered properly on the screen etc. The IMAX auditorium has a dedicated and trained projectionist so it's usually problem free except when I saw "Inception" (great movie) when during the first trailer the sound dropped about 90% and stayed that way until a few of us got up to try and find someone in that maze who worked there (which sounds easier than it really is) to report the problem. The sound came back on about half a minute into the feature. There's no excuse to run a shoddy operation like this, especially when they're charging $13-$20 admission. Their bathrooms smell real bad too, but I do like that they are offering paper towels again at Cineplex after a decades long absence.

Back