News   Apr 16, 2024
 208     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 566     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.4K     0 

Scotiabank Cinema

I can count on one hand the number of times I've been to this place since it opened quite a few years ago. I really could care less.

Now, if they wanted to sponsor the Royal, on College Street, or a reopening of the much-lamented Revue ...

If they reopened up the Revue again as a artsy film centre, I'd be quite happy with the "Scotiabank Revue". Actually that sounds OK by branding standards - not as much as the Four Seasons Centre (the gold standard, in my view, of a corporate name that fits on several levels), but ok.

I'm not that worried about this name change, I just don't get it - even from a marketing point of view (though I generally loathe Cineplex Entertainment). The rendering FM posted is hideous - that's my biggest complaint.

scotiabanktheatre.jpg

Oh, that's gross. :(
I've always loved the Paramount sign.

If they reopened up the Revue again as a artsy film centre, I'd be quite happy with the "Scotiabank Revue". Actually that sounds OK by branding standards - not as much as the Four Seasons Centre (the gold standard, in my view, of a corporate name that fits on several levels), but ok.

I think the funniest name to come from corporate sponsorship is the "Gaylord Entertainment Centre" in Nashville, where the Predators play.

For some reason trying to increase hockey's popularity in the deep south and having the team play in the Gaylord Entertainment Centre doesn't seem like the best fit :p .

I suppose that one day they'll be able to buy another bank and call that bank Scotiabank, too.

Never mind.

Except if it means monkeying with the sign + marquee
2006_7_24revue.jpg

which is the whole point of the joint...

DON'T. RAPE. THE. REVUE. MARQUEE.

Any questions?

I was at the theatre last night and they already had the signs all up. "Where is it playing?" "The Paramount." It rolls off the tongue a lot better than "The Scotiabank Cineplex."

Paramount has movie history in its name!

In a similar sense, the Sky - uh - Rogers Centre looks like a Skydome more than it looks like a "Rogers Centre."

Besides, "The Scotiabank Cineplex" might be tough on those who've had a little too much to drink.

"Rogers Centre" violates several renaming conventions.

One is the simple fact that a baseball stadium is typically never called a "Centre" - that is reserved for hockey/basketball arenas. They are always fields, domes, parks or stadia (Camden Yards is a exception).

Secondly, it is the complete renaming of a landmark that is famous for what it is. SkyDome, for better or worse, was considered by many to be a marvel - the epitome of the 1980s mega park projects.

Precedent - the Calgary Saddledome became the Canadian Airlines Saddledome, then the Pengrowth Saddledome. The name Saddledome stuck.

Rogers Centre erased any link to its former name that existed for 16 years in order, I presume, to quickly change the lexicon to force people to say "Rogers". Owning a sports channel and radio stations that immediately said "Rogers Centre" as much as it could in its traffic reports wouldn't hurt its cause.

Those reasons, plus the fact taxpayers were taken for a ride by Godfrey twice with the renaming, is why I will go to my grave without muttering the rename, unless to express the reasons why it is wrong.

I hate how the cube will be entirely red and will probably have the bank logo.

I love how you can see this mulitcoloured flashing cube when looking up John Street.

As for Scotiabank being a good corporate citizen, I believe they sponsor all the City of Toronto Events including the Toronto Street Festival and Winterlicious.

Louroz

From my earlier posts on this matter it's not hard to see that I'm rather scornful of this renaming. I got a bit carried away when describing the loyalty program they have introduced - the first two points I noted regarding the loyalty program are true, and the program is free, so no big deal - and that should work for Scotiabank. In regards to the renaming however - I don't think it will help the bank that much. I'll be hard-pressed to say Scotiabank Theatre without scorn in my voice, and that will likely only happen when I find I have to explain what the Paramount is now called. I'm having trouble seeing people happily saying "we'll see you at the Scotiabank at 6:45". It sounds awkward, and while there will normally be a context within which to understand the direction, it still begs having to add another word.

Maybe Scotiabank could sell the naming rights to their branches, so that I don't have to add the word 'Theatre' when referring to the cinema. Money Mart could look into that.

Well, you do have some influence on the matter. Just refuse to change the name on the cinema on the products you produce. I'll be your super-best-friend if you do the same for SkyDome (Canuck 36 and his brainwashed mind be damned!).

After all, some editorializing can't hurt. There's precedent.

I am looking forward to the Taxtron Scotia Plaza brought to you by CashMoney, though.

I think the funniest name to come from corporate sponsorship is the "Gaylord Entertainment Centre" in Nashville, where the Predators play.

I wonder if they also own the Gaylord hotel chain, which runs the highly amusingly named "Gaylord Palms" resort in Florida.

Corporate naming is the style de jour, maybe in a decade or two our public/publicly built institutions will retain some naming heritage, but in the mean time why expend energy fighting what amounts to a relatively minor issue.

Rogers Centre, Skydome. Paramount, Scotia-super-duper-cineplex... it's still the same building.

It's strange because I can fundamentally agree with those like Spacing magazine who fight for 'public space', but for a corporation to buy naming rights to a building, I just don't see any need to get worked up or quite frankly, care.

That said should we ever have BMO Square in front of City Hall, I'll be out there protesting with the rest of you.

Back