News   Mar 28, 2024
 147     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Scotiabank Cinema

Ya, last time I was there the speakers were crackly. It's annoying to watch any movie when you are hearing that. And like you said. For the price, the quality needs to be much better.

AMC is getting an Imax at their Yonge and Dundas location. Imax stickers all over the window of the AMC box office. This would be interesting for the Scotiabank Theatre since it looked so run down compare to AMC.

AMC is getting an Imax at their Yonge and Dundas location. Imax stickers all over the window of the AMC box office. This would be interesting for the Scotiabank Theatre since it looked so run down compare to AMC.

That's terrific news (though 2 IMAX screens there would be even better!). Do you have any further details? When and where is it going and how are they doing it? I hope they will be using film, not that crappy new IMAX digital process (which would be a first in Canada if they do).

The Scotiabank's IMAX theatre is good, it's just all those dark walls in all of their cinemas that I find so depressing and lacking any charactor whatsoever.

Last edited:
That's terrific news (though 2 IMAX screens there would be even better!). Do you have any further details? When and where is it going and how are they doing it? I hope they will be using film, not that crappy new IMAX digital process (which would be a first in Canada if they do).

The Scotiabank's IMAX theatre is good, it's just all those dark walls in all of their cinemas that I find so depressing and lacking any charactor whatsoever.

From what I heard from an employee at guest services, in a few weeks. She never said if the Imax would be digital or not. I will get more information on my next visit there to confirm if their Imax is digital.

I highly doubt their new Imax will be film by judging the article below:
www2.tbo.com/content/2010/sep/22/220708/br-brandon-gets-imax-theater/news-metro/

Last edited:
That sucks, I already had it in my head that they'd be raising the roof at the AMC for a couple of cinemas to potentially accommodate a 2nd or 3rd IMAX screen in the future and that it would maybe be done in time for the Christmas films. This is a bastardized version of IMAX which shouldn't even be called IMAX as it's completely misleading. I've read a lot about these "mini IMAX" installations in the US (sometimes referred to as LIMAX), the screens are small and the 2K digital projection is far inferior to film even on a small "shaped" IMAX screen. Google "IMAX digital" to learn more and read people's comments. Between crap like this and 2D movies being converted into 3D, no customer service at cinemas, poor quality projection, bad sound etc. the film industry is really scraping the bottom of the barrel. I don't believe people will keep paying big bucks to be ripped off over and over again forever.

Last edited:
This is a bastardized version of IMAX which shouldn't even be called IMAX as it's completely misleading. I've read a lot about these "mini IMAX" installations in the US (sometimes referred to as LIMAX), the screens are small and the 2K digital projection is far inferior to film even on a small "shaped" IMAX screen. Google "IMAX digital" to learn more and read people's comments. Between crap like this and 2D movies being converted into 3D, no customer service at cinemas, poor quality projection, bad sound etc. the film industry is really scraping the bottom of the barrel. I don't believe people will keep paying big bucks to be ripped off over and over again forever.

You beat me to it. So far all the IMAX theatres here are legit IMAX.
These quasi-IMAX screens (but charging IMAX prices) have been a growing trend in the USA and I suspect this is precisely what AMC is building.
It's a rip-off for consumers and a a degradation of the IMAX brand.

Scotiabank Theatre is getting an Ultra Avx, not to be outdone by AMC. One of auditoriums needs to close down for the renovation to make the screens wider, new "leather" seats, speakers and more stiffer and durable carpeting. Christie Solaria 2230 DLP Cinema projector will be install inside the Ultra Avx auditorium. No date is set for the opening for the Ultra Avx at the Scotiabank.

www.marketwire.com/press-release/Ci...olumbia-Ontario-Quebec-TSX-CGX.UN-1346088.htm

I was hoping the Scotiabank Theatre would get one of those. They need to fix the outside of the theatre. The lights are still not on properly.

Scotiabank Theatre is getting an Ultra Avx, not to be outdone by AMC. One of auditoriums needs to close down for the renovation to make the screens wider, new "leather" seats, speakers and more stiffer and durable carpeting. Christie Solaria 2230 DLP Cinema projector will be install inside the Ultra Avx auditorium. No date is set for the opening for the Ultra Avx at the Scotiabank.

www.marketwire.com/press-release/Ci...olumbia-Ontario-Quebec-TSX-CGX.UN-1346088.htm

That's very interesting. I hope that they select the 4K projection option, 2K doesn't cut it on those big screens.

I'd like to see a cinema with D-BOX downtown, I think only Queensway has it in the GTA right now.

I forgot to add. Starting today at the Scotiabank, renovation will start at auditorium #2 which is beside Burger King for the conversion into an Ultra AVX theatre and its first movie will be Tron 3D.

Tron isn't going into the IMAX?

Back