News   Apr 25, 2024
 253     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 814     2 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 823     0 

Scarborough Town Centre mall renovations

3386455612_005fbfd2ec_b.jpg

From the renders on the posters, looks like the rafters/girders will still be visible below the skylights - seems like a cheap renovation.

It does? It just looks like it's the structure of the skylight. Otherwise...

Last edited:
I'm going to miss the balloons if in fact they will be gone. When I was a kid they would always grab my attention.

new mall, same old hoodrats :D

...And same old ignoramuses roaming the planet...

Hoodrats? Okay, well you establish your ignorance with authority..ha ha...

Anyhow Clown, the real issue is that change is a happening and is coming. Yep, those multi million dollar skylights being installed are certainly cheap. Probably is less money than the lint and two red cents in your flea jacket.

Are you people so deep in your hatred for anything not in the city core that you can't welcome and acknowledge change? Just saying what I've read...toodles ;)

Yeah, all the Costa Blanca, Lulu Lemmon, Birks, Disney, Body Shop, etc...etc...are all sucky global brand names.

How about letting them spend the $60Million Reno budget, then the stores, then make your totally ignorant rants.

You can try to pretend a two year $60Million Renovation will not have a significant impact on quality and quantity of foot traffic. All retailers will be bitching to get into the mall. Any that does not want to will have to deal with their shareholders. Revenue drives profits. Foot traffic and quality will boost that.

With the exception of Holt's and that ilk of reatiler which 95% of the public does not visit - this renovation PROCESS in addition with the two new condo buildings adjacent to the mall; and the several by Tridel slated for Kennedy and 401 will be transformative...never mind the Transit Hub at Kennedy/401 and LRT lines...

im taking about the quality of the mall it self, its not worth the money of the renovation. im not saying its not gonna look nice, im sure its going to make a very big impact...and even a more "green" community.
just whish they had better stores,
+ the mall is almost always empty except on weekends and friday nights.

i agree "Out-of-date malls just don't make for a pleasant experience."

i think maybe the amount of $ that is being put into the renevation is a little high. Just my thoughts tho...so try not to beat me up for it.

I think busy times for most malls are Friday-Sunday. So that's not unusual. As for STC, I don't recall it being empty the couple times I've been there. Hell, it's much busier than Erin Mills TC.

I grew up in Scarborough and have fond memories of the mall, but found that it took a real downturn when the Wal-Mart arrived and it's never been the same for me since. Not really a big fan of the power centre that emerged on the outer parking lots either, but that seems to be the way retailing is going right now, so I guess that's more of a complaint against power centres in general as opposed to STC in particular.

Equinox does feel like a bit of a lost opportunity tho. I would have liked to see that bus station decked over in a couple spots with some sort of park above, maybe offering another connection into STC. The new condos seem like a lost opportunity as well. Sure, there's density there and new residents are always a good thing, but the buildings just don't relate to each other on the ground. There's no sense of connection to the surroundings, just a random assemblage of structures here and there. There really could have been a chance there to create a short boulevard connecting STC with the forest/park. And the same goes for the backsides of the condos; they just sort of back onto Albert Campbell Square instead of actually engaging it or offering anything. It would have been a great place for some restaurants and patio space.

But the renos do look good. One small step I guess

Back