372     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1K     7 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 624     0 

Scarborough Photographs: Then and Now

1953 aerial - note the house that's still there at the corner of VP & Paget
YorkMillsVicPark1953resized.jpg

Anna, do you know where we can find more 1950 to 1960 aerials of Scarborough?
I'd like to see my house (near Ellesmere/Scarb. Golf Club Rd).

Anna, do you know where we can find more 1950 to 1960 aerials of Scarborough?
I'd like to see my house (near Ellesmere/Scarb. Golf Club Rd).

Yes Anna , where did you find these? If you have more , Brimley and Sheppard or Midland and St.Clair would be nice to see.

I didn't bother to Then/Now this photo as I wasn't sure Anna but by looking at your 1970 aerial on the left it must be the same farm house looking S/W from just below the 401.

Series 65 -Metropolitan Toronto Planning Department Library collection of Alexandra Studio photographs by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

Yes, that is the white house on York Mills in the aerial. I think it is where the retirement residence is now. The house was there for a while after the area was built up - not sure about the barn.

The house I was referring to was this one on Victoria Park
http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Paget+...d=4uAEr0p1aepnr8Ghq8GzLw&cbp=12,49.8,,0,-0.13

Yes, that is the white house on York Mills in the aerial. I think it is where the retirement residence is now. The house was there for a while after the area was built up - not sure about the barn.

The house I was referring to was this one on Victoria Park
http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Paget+...d=4uAEr0p1aepnr8Ghq8GzLw&cbp=12,49.8,,0,-0.13

2205 Victoria Park was the workers house. Paget road was the driveway leading up to the main house and barn's, of course all gone except for 2205 , glad they left it. I was chatting to the owner one day and that's how I got the above info.

I agree with the location, but when you look on Google Streetview, the church building that is there now is definitely not what was there in 1955.
The church there now is Scarborough Bluffs United. I don't know anything about it's age, but it doesn't appear to be 55 years old. However, if you go to Google Streetview, on the Kingston Rd frontage of their property, there is an old bell and part of what looks like a stone structure mounted on the lawn. Perhaps these were artifacts from that old church. I wonder why it was torn down, or if it was destroyed by fire.

Last edited:
I agree with the location, but when you look on Google Streetview, the church building that is there now is definitely not what was there in 1955.
The church there now is Scarborough Bluffs United. I don't know anything about it's age, but it doesn't appear to be 55 years old. However, if you go to Google Streetview, on the Kingston Rd frontage of their property, there is an old bell and part of what looks like a stone structure mounted on the lawn. Perhaps these were artifacts from that old church. I wonder why it was torn down, or if it was destroyed by fire.

I have a vague recollection of a fire and rebuild at that church. Perhaps you're right, Jonny5.
I also noticed different designs of the two steeples.

This is approximately where Eglinton once intersected with Kingston Rd.
I wonder what that concrete artifact was - a lamp post?
Eglinton-oddconcrete.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
6159248088_42fa44434f_b.jpg

Boy, that infill on the Elane site is even more oppressive and depressing than 60s-style high-rises would have been...

Back