News   Mar 28, 2024
 121     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 182     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 251     0 

Sammy Yatim Shooting

having to park in a handicap spot because there is no where else to park and its an emergency call is one thing... shooting people another.

having to park in a handicap spot because there is no where else to park and its an emergency call is one thing... shooting people another.

That's totally acceptable and should be sanctioned - vs. illegal parking on personal business, which is an abuse of authority.

AoD

Called it. All my military colleagues agreed that this was beyond the pale. Wasn't surprised to see a conviction.

Any changes to TPS will probably hike the cost of Toronto policing even more.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/01/25/critics-see-bloat-in-police-payrolls.html
In a shifting economy where precarious work reigns, the job-for-life is much like an exotic animal: rare, valuable, and teetering on the edge of extinction.

With a few notable exceptions.
Statistics Canada tells us that in 2014, 99 per cent of Canadian police officers worked full time. By contrast, around half of Ontario workers now work less than 40 hours a week, often juggling two more jobs to piece together full-time work. In Canada, the average hourly wage for a police officer is $28.22. In Ontario, almost a third of all workers are now making within $4 of the $11.25 minimum wage.

The unionization rate for Canadian police officers is 78 per cent, but averages just 30 per cent in other sectors.

While policing is one of the last bastions of long-term job security complete with a good salary and entitlements, it is also, critics say, bloated, antiquated and unaccountable.

Well Unionization rate might be 78% if you are just counting numbers of cops but the real story is that ALL full service traditional Police Forces in Canada are unionized......with the (for now) exception of the RCMP

I did a quick search but founding nothing on the subject yet. Mods, I figure this should be under Toronto issues, though if a better place is found for it, please go ahead and move it. Edit: i also realize that there's a typo in the thread title, but I'm not certain how to change that.

From the Toronto star:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201..._well_all_want_to_see_whats_next_dimanno.html

And further coverage in Vice magazine, with links to the actual footage

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/why-did-the-toronto-police-kill-sammy-yatim

All I can say is, "I'm glad I'm not a cop trying to do a job in Toronto," where the murder/thug rate is approaching that of New York, a city FOUR times the size.

All I can say is, "I'm glad I'm not a cop trying to do a job in Toronto," where the murder/thug rate is approaching that of New York, a city FOUR times the size.

?

In 2015 Toronto had 55 murders and New York had 352 murders. New York is also has one of the lowest murder rates (per capita) in the United States for large cities (pop over 2 million). Being in the company of NY on this item isn't really a bad thing. NY today isn't the same as NY in the 80's.

Now, where you really don't want to be a Canadian cop is in the mid-west (Saskatoon, Regina, Winnipeg).

Last edited:
Yes, my mistake, I was looking at a "per 100,000 population" murder rate for New York. Still, someone waving a knife around is likely to get shot. If you think it's easy trying to control such a person, try to stop a friend with a pretend knife and see if you don't get stabbed. Also, for crazy armchair cowboys who believe stuff like "shoot the guy in the leg" or "shoot the knife out of his hand" you can go to a gun range and see what it's like trying to shoot a fixed target with a handgun, let alone a moving one.

This seems surprising to me.

Court of Appeal upholds conviction for Toronto cop who shot Sammy Yatim

I was wondering whey they still haven't fired him, but apparently they had to complete the criminal proceedings before doing that. He still has 60 days to take his case to the Supreme Court.

I'm not surprised. His appeals were a hail mary.

This is good.

Forcillo is still facing charges for failing to comply with his recognizance, perjury and attempting to obstruct justice. His sentence may end up being longer.

Back