News   Apr 18, 2024
 393     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.7K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2K     4 

Sam the Record Man Closure

The terms of the historical listing are such that only the sign really need be considered; the interiors might as well be expendable...

Neither of the buildings has any architectural merit. Not to mention that one building is only two storeys high, and one building (the former bank branch at the corner) is only one storey in height. They would be of little use to Ryerson, and I would not think that even the facades would be preserved. Some imaginative way will no doubt be found to preserve the signs. I'd still like to see one of them set up at Dundas Square.

It sounds like Ryerson plans on using the existing buildings, at least initially.

Ryerson ramps up plan to win Sam's site

Founder Sniderman backs expropriation bid to make his defunct store university's `front door'

Jul 03, 2007 04:30 AM
Daniel Girard
Education Reporter
Toronto Star

Ryerson University will today announce plans to ask Queen's Park to expropriate the Sam the Record Man building, a move fully supported by the company's founder.

"I want Ryerson to get the building," Sam Sniderman, 87, said yesterday when told of the university's play for 347 Yonge St., which he established as the flagship store in 1961. "It's a relationship we've had from the very beginning of time. We've grown simultaneously.

"Now, Sam's is no more. But it will go on eternally if Ryerson takes over the building and establishes it as their front door on Yonge St.," he said in an interview.

Both Sniderman and Ryerson president Sheldon Levy prefer a negotiated deal for the recently designated heritage building, which ceased operating as Sam's on Saturday.

However, it's no longer the founder 's to sell. Sniderman and his late brother and business partner, Sid, long ago put the property in trust for their children. Sam's sons, Bobby and Jason, and Sid's daughters, Lana and Arna, now control it.

Sniderman said as recently as last week he told representatives of all four he hopes they sell to Ryerson.

Bobby Sniderman said yesterday the family's focus has been on "closing the store in a dignified and honourable manner" rather than making decisions on a deal to sell the property.

But Ryerson informed him last week of its plan to seek expropriation in the absence of a deal, Sniderman said. Any discussions could have waited until after the store closed, he added.

"I would have expected something more respectful from the university," he said of the timing.

In a news release to be issued today, Levy said despite 18 months of discussions, no deal has been reached. So, he's told the family, "given the closing of the business and our need to move quickly to accommodate growing numbers of students," expropriation will be pursued. Ryerson is making the move now because, the news release said, it has just two-thirds the space needed for a university its size.

"We also reinforced that our preference continues to be to purchase the property from them," Levy said in the release, a copy of which was obtained by the Toronto Star.

(Sam's) will go on eternally if Ryerson takes over the building. Sam the Record Man Founder Sam Sniderman​
A letter requesting expropriation is to be sent to Queen's Park in the next couple of weeks.

A government source confirmed there have been preliminary discussions with Ryerson about expropriation but no formal request has been made.

If and when that comes, it will be "considered thoroughly," added the source, noting a decision will take some time.

"It's certainly not just a matter of a few short weeks," the source said.

Under the Expropriations Act, a university can ask the province to take over land for it without the consent of the owner in order to achieve academic or community goals.

If that happens, the price is fixed at market value.

In March, a building at Yonge and Gerrard Sts., right next to Ryerson's campus, sold for $19 million.

Sources have said the price offered in negotiations is a little more than $20 million.

Sniderman paid $140,000 to buy the building at Yonge and Gould Sts. in 1961.

If successful in getting the building, Ryerson plans to expand library and study space west across an alley and into the upper floors of Sam's. It would look for partners to operate commercial space on the ground floor.

Toronto councillor Kyle Rae, whose ward includes Ryerson and the stretch of Yonge St. between Bloor and Queen Sts., has long backed the university's bid to redevelop the property while maintaining Sam's heritage and a commercial presence on the ground floor of the building.

"This is the redevelopment of Yonge St.," said Rae.

"What a message to send about its safety and about its diversity," he said. "South of the border, where universities have gone through this type of transition they have brought the neighbourhoods up with them.

"There is an impact beyond the campus. The university will be a catalyst for improving the downtown."

From The Globe and Mail

Sam the Record Man still spinning when Ryerson edged in
Headshot of John Barber

JOHN BARBER

Bobby Sniderman is upset that Ryerson University pounced so heavily onto the gravesite of his family business last week, applying to expropriate Sam the Record Man two days before the iconic retailer closed its doors following a second bankruptcy.

He was even more upset last year - with better reason - when Ryerson president Sheldon Levy first mused publicly about a higher and better use for the choice little parcel on the Yonge Street strip, a rare (for the area) assembly of five adjoining properties. At the time, he and his brother, Jason, along with two cousins who jointly inherited the business from founders Sam and Sid Sniderman, were still trying to make a go of it.

"It really hurt my staff and my suppliers to hear that when we were just in the process of rebuilding and coming out of bankruptcy," Bobby Sniderman said yesterday. "I don't know any basis on which somebody would say this was an acceptable remark for the president of a university to make."

It couldn't have felt much better when his father, Sam, endorsed the Ryerson plan last year - and repeated his hope this week that the property go to the university.

Nobody is standing on ceremony in this latest public-sector land rush, even with the horrendous price of the last one that ran through this strip - the exceptionally awful Metropolis cinema now visibly overshadowing the former Sam's. The spinning-records sign may be sacred, having been declared historical last week, but everything else is in play.

Neither Mr. Levy nor Councillor Kyle Rae, an ardent backer of the Ryerson plan, make the slightest apology for the grab. "We thought it was only fair to everyone to be very clear at the outset about our intentions," the president said. Given booming enrolment and a tightly constrained campus, applying to expropriate Sam's was "the responsible thing to do," he added.

Mr. Rae (Ward 27, Toronto Centre-Rosedale) is less diplomatic. "It's about time!" he exulted, pounding his finger on a map illustrating the fractured holdings that frustrate redevelopment on the strip. In his view, expropriation is the only way forward.

Mr. Levy adds a moral dimension to his plan, hoping that Ryerson's Yonge Street frontage inspires a social cleanup of the drug dealers and malingerers on what he calls "my front door."

There's nothing charming about the strip, according to Mr. Levy.

"Why is it that one of the most significant streets in Canada remains the way it has remained since I was a 10-year-old boy riding wooden escalators in Eaton's College Street?" he asks.

One possible reason, demonstrated by the widespread laments over Sam's closing, is that people like it that way. But no matter. A change has come - and its name is Ryerson.

There is something terrific about the way the institution has infiltrated its commercial environment in recent years - first arranging for the Metropolis cinemas to become lecture halls in off hours, then building a new business school above a big-box store on Dundas Street. But the execution of those clever ideas has been horrendous.

The multistorey, windowless backside of the Metropolis building is the worst thing that has happened to any street downtown in a generation - and it overlooks the heart of the campus. The business school is lost inside its garish box, making no impression whatsoever. With every new building, the Ryerson campus becomes less coherent and more strikingly mediocre.

If that pattern continues on Yonge Street, every Torontonian will have good reason to be upset.

I agree the that Business Building and Metropolis are both architecturally horrendous but to be fair the university didn’t have much control over the design of the projects as they we’re both funded and built by the private sector.

The old bank building = the low-rise former CIBC; it had smaller spinning discs. (Decommissioned, it was added onto the Sams complex sometime c1990 or so.)

Sam's closed - July 15th

Too sad for words

Too sad for words

Agreed. I hope they can preserve those icons--they're our Sydney Opera House for godsakes!--but I have my doubts since they are advertising signs which no longer advertise anything. The only local white night I can see is Ryerson but I really doubt their commitment in keeping those lights spinning without any return. Down the memory hole they go.:(

Agreed. I hope they can preserve those icons--they're our Sydney Opera House for godsakes!

Now, *there's* an overstatement.

Either New City Hall or the CN Tower are stronger candidates for "our Sydney Opera House".

That's not to knock the Sam's sign, though.

Agreed. I hope they can preserve those icons--they're our Sydney Opera House for godsakes!--but I have my doubts since they are advertising signs which no longer advertise anything. The only local white night I can see is Ryerson but I really doubt their commitment in keeping those lights spinning without any return. Down the memory hole they go.:(

Well, they are designated now. It's no guarantee that they will be preserved, but Ryerson can't simply decide that it wants to trash them. It will need to negotiate the future of the signage with the City.

Back