News   Sep 06, 2024
 2.8K     3 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 1.9K     8 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 650     0 

Salvation Army's Harbour Lights Centre (Diamond Schmitt)

It isn't like the nearby Fred Victor Mission is any less "hostile"--and yet, it was designed by some of aA's predecessors (and it shows)

Thanks torontovibe!

I found the brick "wall" in the southern part of the complex really unfortunate - like replicating the worst aspects of past institutions and keeping the "undesirables" from the public domain. Eek!

Well, there's two sides to that. I see what you're saying - from the outside, the wall does have a slightly Dickensian look to it. But it works both ways: it creates a private space for the centre's clients, and I'm guessing that if one thing is at a premium when you live on the street, it's space where you feel some degree of privacy and ownership.

I don't mind the building as a whole but I wish they would get rid of those little brick walls and put some trees and benches there. This fortress mentality has to stop, no matter who the occupants are.

SNF:

The site might not allow for it - but a better way to offer private space might be to have an interior courtyard, oriented towards the back instead of fronting Jarvis.

AoD

It isn't a particularly deep site, from west to east; an interior courtyard might be rather cramped - like an old prison yard.

A couple of men up on a lift were working on the chapel exterior this morning when I walked past, with a policeman standing on the sidewalk below as part of the show. The mellow red brickwork is in several calm shades.

From today.

3333991913_88ab8dc6dd_b.jpg

3334827636_5cc5952913_b.jpg

3333996165_4b5c9130a7_b.jpg

Isn't there supposed to be a glass frosting on this cake? When will the glass arrive?

3334828972_9d90b31229_b.jpg

I'd say we got the better building. For all that structure's cool zinc cladding and undulating roofline, it still seems cold and unforgiving - precisely the message that a Harbor Lights Center would want to avoid. The concrete courtyard (trees, grass?), lack of fenestration and the general favoring of mass over void really give this place the air of a showy, new-age, detention center.

I generally agree with PE here: the zinc is rather cold, etc., - but the stained glass spire does provide some real warmth for the UK project. We get the brick for warmth in our exterior. I wonder if the UK project has a warmer feel inside? The clue in the article may be that it's "entirely built with timber", so there is definitely an opportunity to take advantage of there.

Back