News   Aug 02, 2024
 108     0 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 780     1 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 763     1 

Salvation Army's Harbour Lights Centre (Diamond Schmitt)

Thanks for the pics Nmoraitis (and AlvinofDiaspar). Yes, I was quick to judge but given that the rest of exterior was near complete, and the general inclination of many developments in the city for the 'cheapening', I had good reason to fear for my aesthetic health.

Does anyone know when this is going to open? It looks like it's close to finished - the hoarding's down and they're working on the interior.

Is there a plan for closing the Queen & Sherbourne Salvation Army after this one's ready to go?

The streetscaping didn't do any favours to Jarvis. Head-height brick walls, iron bar fencing, odd and awkwardly placed windows, it kind of gives me a feeling somewhere between a penitentiary and an asylum

Almost finished.
c1FEB1021.jpg

c3FEB1020.jpg

c2FEB1019.jpg

Last edited:
Eeeeyow. I'll have to go see it in person, but judging from the photographs (thanks for the updates!) it looks remarkably charmless. Not that anyone was expecting a festival of exotic delights from this one - and D&S were a sober, respectable choice of architecture - but...well...
They can always grow ivy and plant a few shrubs. Maybe that will help. Especially around that chapel. Judging from the photo, it looks about as spiritual as a nail factory.

I really hope the building is truly charitable in function, because is sure looks starved to the bones in form.

Last edited:
the building looks respectable and that's all that really matters as far as aesthetics are concerned. and let's not forget what this site used to look like. we should all be happy that a charitable institution has a new home in a needy neighbourhood. one thing toronto should strive for is greater social awareness and accountability. i think we're slowly getting there. a society is not merely judged by its architecture.

Last edited:
Very similar to the New College residence at U of T. Definitely not flashy, but we've come to expect little from D&S.

What kind of people are going to be using this facility? Is it going to be run just like the Salvation Army facility on Sherbourne? I live pretty close to this thing and im a little worried about what it will do to the area, though I understand what was there before was MUCH worse.

^ Sir NF:

I know - I'm sounding pretty grouchy and a tad unfair.
I'm a bit biased - Some bad personal experiences in the past where I had to deal with both seamy urban poverty and evangelical fervour have left me spooked a bit around the whole kit and kaboodle, I suppose.

That said, I'll have to go down and see it myself. There's not much that looks like a miracle of revitalization when seen under a grey January Toronto sky.

Last edited:
Well, the building IS austere though, and CN, I note your earlier comment regarding the ivy and bushes it could use. Hopefully they'll plant a couple of trees as well. Give it a decade or more and I think the handsome - but still austere - facade could be softened, humanized, and made more welcoming by some greenery.

The streetscaping didn't do any favours to Jarvis. Head-height brick walls, iron bar fencing, odd and awkwardly placed windows, it kind of gives me a feeling somewhere between a penitentiary and an asylum

I would say that just about sums it up - though it is almost finished I must say they have done little or no exterior work since Christmas but assume they are working on the inside finishing.

Thanks torontovibe!

I found the brick "wall" in the southern part of the complex really unfortunate - like replicating the worst aspects of past institutions and keeping the "undesirables" from the public domain. Eek!

AoD

Allowing the "undesirables" to hang around in public domain has its consquences too. (Dundas & Sherbourne can attest to that) I doubt it makes the "undesirables" feel any better about themselves either.

Last edited:

Back