News   Sep 06, 2024
 2.8K     3 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 1.9K     8 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 649     0 

Salvation Army's Harbour Lights Centre (Diamond Schmitt)

M

mark simpson

looks like construction is starting and hopefully the Diamond & Schmitt plan is still implemented which would completely reverse the current ugliness

I find it odd the city threw so much money at this religious organization to get this thing built, so quickly.

For the centre:
"Two million dollars in funding has been allocated from the Government. The Ontario Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing will provide rent supplements for all 98 units. The Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care has contributed $6.8 million for the supportive housing facility and will contribute $1.49 million annually for its operation. The Salvation Army has raised more $17 million in other donations."
2004, Community Action Publishers

The Salvation Army has two outlets flanking Moss Park at its east and west ends. Pity it couldn't have consolidated them. The poverty overwhelms Moss Park. Any step towards redistributing the sheer volume of shelters, soup kitchens, and social housing out of the eastern downtown would be welcome.

I noticed the hoarding is also surrounding the two buildings south of the existing Harbour Lights complex.

HarbourLight-June15,06(2).jpg

HarbourLight-June15,06(4).jpg

Looks like most if not all the buildings on the site will be gone - hostel or not, it's an improvement from what's there right now. Some pics of the project culled from Diamond + Schmitt:

salvation1.jpg

salvation2.jpg

salvation3.jpg

salvation4.jpg

AoD

So what is this? Transitional housing for those starting back up from nothing, or a shelter like any other? I think it reminds me of Fred Victor just down the street at Queen, which has not aged well.

Ed's shot and the one of the renders are almost prefectly placed for before-after comparisons.

HarbourLight-June15,06(2).jpg

salvation1.jpg

Harbor Lights? Thats a pretty silly name considering that its nowhere near the harbor. I get the whole 'light at the end of the tunnel' reference but it still sounds lame to me...

too bad we can't rename Trump something like this to ease the pain

Back