News   Jul 12, 2024
 753     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 690     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 301     0 

Ryerson: Master Plan

it was interesting walking by the site in the past week and seeing sam's being torn down section by section.

walking by earlier this evening, there was a bit left on the northwest corner. the site will be clean by the end of the week i'm guessing.

does anyone know if they are also going to demolish the old futureshop building right after?

Jan 28... Sam's looks awfully eerie at night.

3237530461_28de1bb6b1_b.jpg

3237530161_8bc9fd0408_b.jpg

3238371674_83c044f399_b.jpg

3238372082_45d0b1fe0d_b.jpg

This Ted Rogers article brought to you by Ted Rogers

Ryerson U now Rogers U

The Eyeopener
Written by Chris Battaglia

ru.jpg

Construction workers had the sign halfway down before someone realized that the acronym could remain the same.

Ryerson University is honouring the memory of Ted Rogers in the only way it knows how.

The school has announced plans to change its name to Rogers University as a gesture of gratitude towards the late Canadian media mogul.

“We felt it was the most fitting tribute to such a great man,” Ryerson spokesperson Shauna Brassard said.

“Mr. Rogers was one of the most generous contributors to the university and our expansion projects, and all he asked in return was that we sprinkle his name here and there.

“This one’s on us, Ted,” she added, wiping a tear from her eye.

Rogers’ name already graces two buildings at Ryerson: the Rogers Communications Centre and the Ted Rogers School of Management. There’s also the concrete pattern on the outer south wall of the Podium, which forms a giant Rogers Communications logo if you look hard enough.

“We’ve been working on a way to honour Ted’s life for over a month,” Brassard said. “We thought about changing Kerr Hall to Ted Hall, but that wouldn’t be enough. We needed something bigger, yet inexpensive.”

“This way, we won’t even have to change those giant letters we’ve been sticking on every building around campus,” she added.

The plan also includes the creation of a new faculty – the School of Ted Rogers, complete with a Ted Rogers degree program. Initial student reaction to the announcement was positive.

“Who wouldn’t want a BRog (Bachelor of Ted Rogers)?” said Jamaal Kadri Jr., a 2nd-year business administration student, “I mean, the guy obviously did something right, and I want to do those right things too, y’know? I’m even considering switching majors now.”

Numerous brand-new courses will be offered under the new faculty of Ted Rogers, including ROG 110: The Life and Times of Ted Rogers, ROG 120: Intro to the Ted Rogers Method of Business, and its follow-up, ROG 220: Getting Your Name on a Bunch of Buildings. Upper-level ROG courses will offer a chance to study Ted from a more personal angle, including the highly anticipated ROG sociology course, Ted Rogers and Sexuality.

“The course possibilities are endless,” said Brassard, “Ted Rogers and Film, Rogers vs. Nietzsche, even Rogers Calculus -- we here at Rogers University are very excited to be at the forefront of this new area of study.”

Anticipating a high level of interest in the Ted Rogers major, Rogers University has already begun construction on a building to house the faculty. Located at Yonge and Gould, the 10-storey all-gold palace shaped like Rogers’ head will be called the Ted Rogers Centre for Learning and More Learning, brought to you by Ted Rogers.

I think I read the Eyeopener maybe once or twice during my two years at Ryerson, while I read the Imprint almost every week during my four years at Waterloo.

Let's see...he donates millions of dollars to the university and he is no longer alive: so this is how one shows appreciation and respect?

Heck, one could argue its not meant to be disrespectful or unappreciative (although it comes across as such)...but it is in no way even mildly funny.

alklay:

It's a student paper - besides, the Eyeopener isn't what I would consider to be a publication focused on appreciation and respect.

That said, I do think that donor recognition are oftentimes rather crass - and the dependence of the universities on donations is also a legitimate concern.

AoD

I doubt there are many in this city who would not acknowledge that Ted Rogers was not a generous philanthropist, but it is not a secret that many people decry the name change from SkyDome to Rogers Centre, and that many people hate Rogers (Co.) for poor customer service and high prices when it comes to cable tv and telephone. It's reasonable then, that at a university that has more than one building named after the man, there may be some gentle mockery of Rogers' penchant for naming things after himself.

Exactly. Besides, just how much taxation is lost by the governments from these donations? While you can argue that donations are public benefits, the ability to decide what public benefits are needed are basically out of the hands of public representatives.

AoD

If Ryerson wants to look gift horses in the mouth....all the power to them. Just don't ask successful alumni for support (and be prepared to rely on inadequate public funding).

Back