News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 922     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 357     0 

Ryerson: Master Plan

Downtown becomes a much more local affair for those of us downtowners that don't drive. Living in the St Lawrence Market area and working close by means I rarely go up to Yonge and Bloor for exemple. Hence Yonge and Bloor becomes another world. Going to the Canadian Tire at Yonge and Dundas is something I can do without giving it a second thought. Going to the one at Yonge and Church is a bigger effort that does require a real reason to go.

"Not really. A number of people in my office have mentioned how nice it will be to have access to a hardware store downtown."

Front and Sherbourne is EASILY within a 15-minute walk of the financial district. So is Queen just west of Spadina. And there's another one on Spadina South of College.

I work at Queen and Bay and Queen west of Spadina is about a 30 minute walk one way (and one would be quite brave to do so on a bad winter or summer day)...and I do not walk slow. Its not an area anyone is going to walk to during lunch.

^ Bay to Spadina in 30 minutes is a very leisurely stroll.

I can get from Bay to Spadina and back at lunch, and that includes time to shop.

Front and Sherbourne is EASILY within a 15-minute walk of the financial district.

Perhaps but that store is the size of a small variety store. Not even close to what a Canadian Tire is able to offer. I for one am glad about the new Canadian Tire and will use it often.

Average walking speed is 5km/hour, Bay to Spadina is about 1.3km.

Going to the one at Yonge and Church is a bigger effort that does require a real reason to go.

Agreed. Since I moved downtown, I find any trip North of Bloor to be an expidition, requiring advance planning and NASA-like go/no go decision making. I pretty much draw the 905 boundary at the Cumberland cinemas now, because I need never venture north of there.

Well then ap, for a grand night out some time, I suggest an expedition to Whole Foods up here in the wilderness. If you gingerly edge your way north a couple of blocks beyond the Cumberland you'll find the cool arctic breezes a refreshing respite from summer's doldrums, and nicely prepackaged organic meals to boot.

I sometimes venture to Whole Paycheque, which I adore, but I never really need to, St. Lawrence Market being on the next block and all.

Now, if they were to open a downtown location (and I dearly wish they would, say in Spire or Vu) I would do the gay handclaps of happiness.

Keep in mind that a Metropass, or lack thereof, may affect one's auto-less travelling/commuting/shopping decisions...

if yonge and bloor is not 'downtown' to some, then what is it? uptown? i always ask this question to friends because it seems that to call everything south of bloor 'downtown' is far too broad a distinction.

Its still downtown but for those of us that don't drive its far away. Kind of like Scarborough is still suburbs to people in Etobicoke. Same but not some place you visit on a regular basis.

Yes, people who usually drive to get around forget that the scale of the world is a lot different for us pedestrians.

oh i completely agree, i'm not a driver myself so i know what you mean. i'm just wondering what some of you might consider the boundaries of 'downtown' to be, and what is the area surrounding them is.

Back