News   Apr 26, 2024
 478     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 363     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 563     0 

Ryerson: Master Plan

Presumably only north of the parking garage would be closed.

The north end of Bond could be closed too.

They only plan to close it north of the parking garage entrance. There's also recieving docks for the university on Gould between Victoria and Yonge, so access needs to be maintained to those as well.

Most interesting, however, is the mix of uses; in addition to Ryerson, which will have the top three storeys, the building will contain a Canadian Tire, Best Buy and three-floor parking garage.

I wonder what Hume thinks about Jorgenson Hall, with its "mix of uses"... classrooms, library, food court, offices, bank, theatre, etc.

"For decades, people have been complaining about the lack of a hardware store in the city"

There are numerous other hardware stores downtown, including another Canadian Tire.

There are numerous other hardware stores downtown, including another Canadian Tire.
Hardware stores downtown are very few and far between. There's one on Dundas St E, one on Queen St W, one down Sherbourne near Front and that's about all I can think of. Moreover, the Yorkville Canadian Tire isn't exactly downtown.

There's the good Home Hardware on Parliament, and another one on College over by the good paint store.

There's also a Home Hardware in The Annex. I'd say almost eveyone downtown lives within a 10-15 minute walk of either one of the stores you listed, the Home Hardware, or the existing CT.

^Some people wouldn't consider Yonge and Church downtown...

I always thought Ryerson didn't have much of a street presence too, but I think the new buildings are really marking the university.

There was a Canadian Tire around the Yonge & Richmond area until the late 80's. If memory serves it closed when the Yonge & Church sts. store opened.

I think it was at Yonge and Temperance. Closed when the original Bay Adelaide started construction.

There used to be a five story Aikenhead's Hardware store at 17 Temperance. That company had a history in Toronto going back to the 1840's.

If memory serves it closed when the Yonge & Church sts. store opened.

The Yonge and Church location dates from the 1920s, and is the original CTC store.

There's also a Home Hardware in The Annex. I'd say almost eveyone downtown lives within a 10-15 minute walk of either one of the stores you listed, the Home Hardware, or the existing CT.

Not really. A number of people in my office have mentioned how nice it will be to have access to a hardware store downtown. None of the stores mentioned is readily accessible to downtown office workers. I'm going to walk to the Annex to do an errand during my lunch hour?

It's interesting what some people see as downtown. I think those who live in the inner city see it differently than those who live in Scarborough, North York, and Etobicoke.

Back