News   Apr 15, 2024
 956     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 650     0 

Russell Carhouse (was: Leslieville streetcar yard)

For a self-described "TTC Transit Fanatic" your posts frequently display an amazing lack of knowledge of the TTC system, earlier Reports and simple geography. (Also interesting that, despite your fandom, you have yet to visit Russell! "I am visiting Russell today, I haven't been to Russell before personally, ") As the 512 St Clair streetcars can only get to St Clair by using Bathurst, I think you might assume that the track is OK (and much of it was rebuilt fairly recently). Whether Hillcrest is a suitable streetcar yard any more is quite another question and there are several TTC Reports on how best to use the whole complex. After your excursion today you might want to spend some time on research - your posts may then be based on facts and history and worth paying attention to.

I know a lot about the TTC system, I do not however go to certain areas as often as others ( like the area near Russell ), and I do a lot of research too. The problem is, if there is a delay that holds up 511, there's gonna be NO streetcars. If there's is no streetcars, how do you expect people to get places? I have knowledgeable on the TTC system, you honestly need to stop complaining because this is a public forum!

From TTC July 2023:

TTC Russell Carhouse Upgrades

Timeline: Ongoing – February, 2025
What we are doing and why:

To improve streetcar service, the expansion of TTC’s streetcar fleet requires additional maintenance & storage space. TTC is upgrading storage capacity at streetcar yards across the City. As part of this program, TTC will be modifying the carhouse and storage area at Russell Yard.

What is happening:

The Russell Yard upgrade project includes:
 Replacing all yard tracks with concrete-embedded track rail and switches
 Providing track lubrication to all storage tracks to reduce streetcar noise (wheel squeal).
 Replacing all underground utility services and providing a storm water retention management system.
 Upgrading the overhead electrical system for streetcar pantograph operations.

Schedule:

To maintain service for TTC customers, construction is completed in stages.

Stage 1:  Concrete/track work removal and excavation in the eastern part of the yard, daily until November 2023*. A concrete breaker, backhoe, and dump truck will typically run weekdays between 7 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Vibration and noise, typically associated with construction is expected during road compaction and caisson installation.  Augering will be carried out at locations around the perimeter of the yard to allow for future pole installation. Additional lighting will be installed

 Starting as early as July 21, 2023 for a period of approximately 8 weeks, overnight streetcar rail replacement work is scheduled to re-commence. Work will begin in the eastern portion of the yard and move towards the west and southern portion of the yard.

Crews must work around the clock on track installation specifically, to ensure effective concrete curing and long-term quality of the rails. Crews are pre-assembling as much rail as possible at an offsite location to expedite the process and reduce the amount of work for assembly in the yard. The assembly and installation of the new track includes rail cutting, rail welding, and fastening the rails in place, followed by concrete work. Construction vehicles are equipped with a backup alarm, and staff will work to limit the reversing of vehicles during night work.

Stage 2/3:  The western portion of the Russell Carhouse Yard will undergo the same scope of work from November 2023* to February 2025*

Next steps:

Carhouse extension and modifications (start date: as early as 2025 – 2028, TBD*):

 Construct the west extension of the carhouse to allow for an additional maintenance bay for new streetcars.
 Upgrade the existing carhouse building to accommodate new streetcars.
 Reconfigure maintenance tracks and pits in the carhouse for maintenance.

Back