470     0 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 683     0 

rogers, city news & iphones

Prometheus The Supremo

►Member №41+⅜◄
Member Bio
Reaction score
city news felt tonight that the iphone should be the first news story. they went on and on about it, even sending a reporter to the maritimes to cover the first sale in canada. i think they spent over 5 minutes talking about it.

it's amazing how the local news is used as a sales tool for rogers & how a "cellphone that makes pancakes" trumps other stories. not a surprise though, since rogers owns city news.

man, no shame whatsoever.

Just a few days ago, they ended a news broadcast by congratulating Ted Rogers for winning some lifetime achievement award. That was a bit strange.

Just a few days ago, they ended a news broadcast by congratulating Ted Rogers for winning some lifetime achievement award. That was a bit strange.

lol! i remember that. there's something movementarian about the whole atmosphere over at citynews these days.

If you think this news was exclusive to CityTV you'd be mistaken. Even CNN had major coverage.

The Star's website was heavy on this, but, if course, you don't have to click on the link (newspapers and newssites allow one to choose to read what they are interested in, who needs TV news?). The CBC National had a story about 10 minutes in, also covering the criticism of Rogers.

If you don't want pro-Israel news, don't watch Global. If you don't want pro-Republican news, don't watch Fox. If you don't want pro-Rogers news, don't watch the shadow-of-itself Citytv (it's been particularly downhill since Zneimer was forced out of CHUM, way before Rogers took over).

It can seem pretty minor at the Toronto local news level, but if you look at it in a macro sense, you'll have stories that aren't covered by -- for instance -- NBC as GE is involved in nuclear bomb technologies. It's one of the reasons why a publically funded and operated broadcaster is imperative.

City TV is toast... Once they complete their move it'll be nothing but just a logo of its former entity. That said, I hear that City will be airing Curb Your Enthusiasm this fall so all is not lost I suppose.

^That's possible. They're already getting rid of Speakers Corner, Ed the Sock, etc. Along with the shows they didn't retain rights to (like Fashion Television) it doesn't leave City TV with much.

CityTV isn't news - it's a daily report of shootings/stabbings, accidents mixed in with some feel good human stories. Getting rid of Howard Hussein was the last straw.

AoD

On the Citynews website, 5 out of the 8 "top stories" were iPhone-related. I'm glad they at least went over the top with it, leaving nobody in any doubt about what sort of outfit the station has become.

Thanks for posting this thread. And I thought I was the only one who was annoyed.

Plus - what's with the people who feel they need to camp out overnight so they can be the first to buy one?

Thanks for posting this thread. And I thought I was the only one who was annoyed.

Plus - what's with the people who feel they need to camp out overnight so they can be the first to buy one?

Apple marketing.

Back