621     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually things like women being able to request stop at night is the product of using a gendered lens to look at transportation and transportation planning. Who is the idiot now? And yes, always count on someone with a history of demeaning women to understand and vote in these things eh?

AoD

I think investigating intermediate stops on a train is a pretty stupid idea. I also think that SmartTrack will already stop at all stops. It may be an issue for buses, not for trains.

I think investigating intermediate stops on a train is a pretty stupid idea. I also think that SmartTrack will already stop at all stops. It may be an issue for buses, not for trains.

You missed the point - which is consideration of how women uses transit and factor that into public transportation and spaces. It's simply good planning - and straight up reinterpretation of my example to illustrate your supposed point just comes off as an attempt to cover up your own ignorance.

AoD

Last edited:
Actually things like women being able to request stop at night is the product of using a gendered lens to look at transportation and transportation planning. Who is the idiot now? And yes, always count on someone with a history of demeaning women to understand and vote in these things eh?

AoD

I've always wondered why that program is only for women travelling alone. Why are men not allowed to request a stop, and why wouldn't two women travelling together be qualified?

Are you one of those people who sees the words "gender equity" and automatically dismisses whatever comes after as rubbish? In any case, way to miss the point BurlOak. You're in good company with Rob Ford, who was one of only two who voted against the motion. Thanks AoD for two consecutive sharp rebuttals.

I've always wondered why that program is only for women travelling alone. Why are men not allowed to request a stop, and why wouldn't two women travelling together be qualified?

It's a safety measure for women travelling alone after 9PM, as she's at greater risk of assault than a man or two women.

Progress!

Despite Rob being an obstruction with his calls for recorded votes. In Rob's term, it took 51 hours to get through 9 items. As long as he can keep attending council meetings, he'll keep up this "lone wolf" nonsense, but eventually no one will care, not even CP2Ford, (not that many probably care now). The more likely scenario is that if the chemo hasn't made any improvement, we won't be seeing him in the future.

I think it's a moot point. I disagree that Ford Nation will be an enduring brand. Four years is a very long time. Rob has a worse than even chance of being dead by then, and an even worse chance of being disease-free then. I don't think Doug has the political smarts to do this all again, and he almost certainly will not have the necessary professional or financial backing.

It's certainly possible that some calamity will befall Tory that sees him out of the running in 2018. But if he doesn't complete his term, there will still be an incumbent who might be running. It's true that at this point there are no obvious other candidates, but it's a long way away.

Despite Rob being an obstruction with his calls for recorded votes. In Rob's term, it took 51 hours to get through 9 items. As long as he can keep attending council meetings, he'll keep up this "lone wolf" nonsense, but eventually no one will care, not even CP2Ford, (not that many probably care now). The more likely scenario is that if the chemo hasn't made any improvement, we won't be seeing him in the future.

Why should council be obligated to listen to Ford's request for recorded votes?

"A member may request a recorded vote on any matter and must make the request immediately before or after the vote is taken."
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/municode/1184_027.pdf

It's true that at this point there are no obvious other candidates, but it's a long way away.

For the good of the City, I hope Mayor Tory keeps getting re-elected like Mayor McCallion did.

Last edited:

Toronto Municipal Code, Chapter 27 Council Procedures

§ 27-103. Recorded vote.
A. When a member may request a recorded vote.
A member may request a recorded vote on any matter and must make the request immediately before or after the vote is taken.
B. If request for recorded vote is made after first vote the first vote is nullified.
If the request for a recorded vote is made immediately after the vote is taken, the first vote is nullified and a second, recorded vote must be held.
C. Clerk records name and vote of members.
When a member requests a recorded vote the Clerk records the name and vote of every member on the matter.
D. Electronic voting for records.
When a recorded vote is requested, members will use the electronic voting system, or another method as determined by the Clerk, to vote.

www.toronto.ca/legdocs/municode/1184_027.pdf

AoD

Beaten by casita to it!

Also lawyer Dennis Morris is quoted as saying: "Because of who he was, who his family was, through osmosis he ended up getting involved in criminal activities at different phases of his life, but that was not his (whole) life."

He's talking about Danny Boy Gravelle, of course, but how long before "osmosis" becomes a defence for members of families with a propensity for criminal activities such as, oh, say, the Fords?

When I hear "osmosis" for some reason I think amoeba.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back