195     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 948     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't say he's okay. Said it is probably overboard to say he's someone who has been unable to cope as a functioning adult. None of us know him personally. Early on the story was that Gord Perks was good for hanging in the smoking area with him.

As for how he would have turned out without the family money, how would any of us had turned out without the particular circumstances in which we were raised or the people who took us under their wing along the way? Doug's siblings grew up with family money, and they more clearly have difficulties finding a stable life for themselves.

Smoking areas are usually full of disparate people who wouldn't have much to say to each other if they didn't have a butt in their hand.

I say if someone's a verbally abusive, threatening, lying prick, they're a malfunctioning adult, not a functioning one. Just being able to pay your bills and not get tossed in jail doesn't cut it, in my opinion.

"people's" , "real" - there's them words again folks
And there's "People's Shock Troops" (Mussolini), "People's Liberation Army" (Chinese Communist), "People's Republican Army"" (Irish troubles, not a Yankee militia), and "People's Jewellers" (tyranny of a capitalist sort)

Volkssturm 1945

View attachment 35889

"How old-school is it? Women members (they call them ladies) have restricted tee times; men get first dibs."

Of course women-as-second-class-citizens continues at the Rosedale Golf Club, which is entirely reasonable, it seems.

Good to know. Excellent rebuttal to the concerns about racism.

"My advice for young women who want to get ahead in their careers is to learn to play golf. Of course you won't be able to play WITH me or my business friends, at least not at my private golf club, so it won't advance your career with US. But if you want access to the work-friendly men's only tee times, you should really get further ahead in your career first."

I'm going to bet that John Tory never referred to anyone as a Kike or a Nigger. And if you are a woman or or a minority, knowing what you know would you feel 'safer' working for Tory or Doug Ford? It's frustrating that Tory is so clean they have to go back 20 years for dirt and the Fords are constantly producing so much you can't keep up.

Definitely more pleasant to work for someone who is polite in letting me know my place as second-class citizen, and who is content to participate in structures that perpetuate inequality while denying those structures exist. It hasn't been nice having Doug call me, by name and sometimes to my face: garbage, lazy, a professional protester, "that nasty lady", a member of "the dirty dozen", and someone who growls at him.

But sure, Doug is pulling my strings on this count. This board cracks me up, sometimes.

"people's" , "real" - there's them words again folks

And there's "People's Shock Troops" (Mussolini), "People's Liberation Army" (Chinese Communist), "People's Republican Army"" (Irish troubles, not a Yankee militia), and "People's Jewellers" (tyranny of a capitalist sort)

I forgot to add this one, L -D.

Peoples Temple:

It is best known for the events of November 18, 1978, in Guyana, in which 920 people died at the Peoples Temple Agricultural Project (informally, and now commonly, called "Jonestown") and nearby airstrip at Port Kaituma, and Georgetown in an organized mass suicide/killing. The mass suicide and killings at Jonestown resulted in the greatest single loss of American civilian life in a deliberate act prior to the events of September 11, 2001. Casualties at the airstrip included, among others, US Congressman Leo Ryan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peoples_Temple

"My advice for young women who want to get ahead in their careers is to learn to play golf. Of course you won't be able to play WITH me or my business friends, at least not at my private golf club, so it won't advance your career with US. But if you want access to the work-friendly men's only tee times, you should really get further ahead in your career first."

Do you have a published source for that quote?

Last edited:
Most of the postings on IHTWOMRF say that John Tory is a Liberal, which of course just confirms that 27% crazification factor again.
I wonder how Doug reacted to the news, I can't wait to hear the spin his camping team will put on the Sun's endorsement of Tory. This is going to be good.

Worse yet, they call then Liberals "leftists", despite clearly being a centrist party. Ford Nation is and has always been an extremist group. They just happened to rope in some oblivious voters last time around.

Doug Sr. pulled up to the warehouse with a truck and bought all kinds of things from there..

LOL, Doug can't even talk about the vases without lying. (*I think this is a simple misspeak, but...)
The Ford Family Vase lore was Doug Sr scooped in when the Mirvish's were closing Ed's Warehouse and bought them for a song.

However Doug Sr. was a noted cheapskate, so maybe he did buy them at Honest Ed's.

I'm going to bet that John Tory never referred to anyone as a Kike or a Nigger. And if you are a woman or or a minority, knowing what you know would you feel 'safer' working for Tory or Doug Ford? It's frustrating that Tory is so clean they have to go back 20 years for dirt and the Fords are constantly producing so much you can't keep up.

What are you suggesting? That Tory's racism and sexism is better because it's less overt and hostile than Ford's? That Tory's refusal to grasp or acknowledge systemic inequality is somehow preferable for women and minorities??

Btw, there is no need to go "back 20 years for dirt" on Tory. In very recent memory he has attributed women's inequality in the workplace to their inability to ask for raises or play golf, denied the existence of white privilege, and belongs to a golf club that institutionalizes sexism.

Way back in the olden times of November, 2013, I listened to the Fords do damage control on their radio show. It followed Rob's statement that he had, in fact, smoked crack cocaine in a drunken stupor. Doug talked about the fix: Rob drinking in the basement.

Waaaaay back last year, that show was followed by a panel discussion. On that panel was political innocent and super nice guy John Tory. Mr. Tory agreed that it would be a good idea for Rob Ford to keep his drinking at home, in the basement.

As was and is the case with the Fords, I have never supported John Tory's political position, which was and is firmly Conservative. A whole year ago, I learned what I needed to about Mr. Tory's understanding of domestic violence as well. And please, do go ahead and claim that last year nobody knew the scope of the troubles in Rob Ford's home.

It was a nice follow-up to Tory's absolute unwillingness to support those of us who had tried to keep the Fords accountable since they gained power, and Tory's eagerness to participate in cheap distractions like Cut the Waist, cheering the brothers along.

But thanks for the lesson in preferring the nice ones to the ones who say bad words. And for the pretence that those of us with concerns are stuck with going back to ancient days to illustrate those concerns.

Last edited:
What are you suggesting? That Tory's racism and sexism is better because it's less overt and hostile than Ford's? That Tory's refusal to grasp or acknowledge systemic inequality is somehow preferable for women and minorities??

Btw, there is no need to go "back 20 years for dirt" on Tory. In very recent memory he has attributed women's inequality in the workplace to their inability to ask for raises or play golf, denied the existence of white privilege, and belongs to a golf club that institutionalizes sexism.

The private golf club stuff was a stupid move in his part. The women playing golf comment made some sense but was delivered in a tone deaf manner. The white privilege comment was taken out of context.

That's three examples in 40 years of business, two of which were clumsy delivery. Has any female or minority employee or volunteer ever alleged that he mistreated them or held back their careers? Has he ever said anything patronizing in public about his wife or daughters? His biggest misstep seems to be being a 60-year old rich white guy.

In absolute terms (let alone relative to the competition), the smears just don't hold water.

Way back in the olden times of November, 2013, I listened to the Fords do damage control on their radio show. It followed Rob's statement that he had, in fact, smoked crack cocaine in a drunken stupor. Doug talked about the fix: Rob drinking in the basement.

Waaaaay back last year, that show was followed by a panel discussion. On that panel was political innocent and super nice guy John Tory. Mr. Tory agreed that it would be a good idea for Rob Ford to keep his drinking at home, in the basement.

As was and is the case with the Fords, I have never supported John Tory's political position, which was and is firmly Conservative. A whole year ago, I learned what I needed to about Mr. Tory's understanding of domestic violence as well. And please, do go ahead and claim that last year nobody knew the scope of the troubles in Rob Ford's home.

It was a nice follow-up to Tory's absolute unwillingness to support those of us who had tried to keep the Fords accountable since they gained power, and Tory's eagerness to participate in cheap distractions like Cut the Waist, cheering the brothers along.

But thanks for the lesson in preferring the nice ones to the ones who say bad words. And for the pretence that those of us with concerns are stuck with going back to ancient days to illustrate those concerns.

Yeah, Tory's pandering to the Fords is a strike against him. However, I'm just not seeing the characterization that Tory is a slime ball hiding behind a shiny veneer.

Left leaning has nothing to do with it, at least to me, it did have to do with the above, and bolded, statement.
Ohhhh! JWBF, I *think* the issue is a missing comma before "insinuating". I read it as a direct response to the post that had been quoted, which didn't merely insinuate that, IIRC - it stated it outright, or strong implications to that effect. I don't think this was meant to imply that the forum in general tended to insinuate this. pw20, please correct me if I'm the one who misunderstood your post, though.

Yeah, Tory's pandering to the Fords is a strike against him. However, I'm just not seeing the characterization that Tory is a slime ball hiding behind a shiny veneer.

Agreed. Tory as a slime ball is as much a chimera as Olivia Chow living in subsidized housing IMO. If you don't like Tory - that's fine; but do so because you disagree with his policies, you think Smart Track is going to cost billions more than he's anticipated, but don't look to his membership at a golf course as evidence of some sort of latent racism. The guy's work at Civic Action and their work supporting minorities through the Diversecity initiative is more telling than trying to find hidden clues in taken out of context sound bytes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back