440     7 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 346     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 438     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was under the impression that someone else started that. yes, MM picked it up, but so did many others. And apparently there were police cars in the area, but not to pick up RoFo or search his house.

Yes on both counts, but that doesn't negate what I said. My point is not that MM is making things up (I don't think he is) but that if I were him, I would take great care how I word things, lest my words be taken out of context by the many people who read my words. For what it's worth, I've defended MM elsewhere on the internet when I've seen people trash-talking him in a way I felt was unwarranted or unfair, and - as I said - I remain grateful to him for the insight he has provided.

Was the thread aware that the Iron Sheik has just been & gone from the Mayor's office?

Someone on Ford's block tweeted that there were cop cars outside his house. Other people retweeted it. Then MM started posting speculation. Goldsbie and Dale and the like remained silent, until Goldsbie tweeted to confirm that it was not Ford-related.

You're not being entirely fair, SUV. Yes, MM said a search warrant might be being executed at Casa Ford, but he also clearly stated that his comment was speculation based on sightings of a bunch of cop cars on the street. He was also prompt in reporting the false alarm.

Sad but true. Spoke to a person today who said she really hopes Ford gets in again. She says yes, he's done some things wrong, but no one is perfect (Grrrrrr!). And that he's done good things for the city. Not that she could tell me just what those good things are, of course.

Same with my neighbours. Many are ashamed of RoDoFo.

But, when asked if they intend to vote for him again, it's "Effin A! He keeps their hands out of the cookie jar!"

Same with my neighbours. Many are ashamed of RoDoFo.

But, when asked if they intend to vote for him again, it's "Effin A! He keeps their hands out of the cookie jar!"

"No, he sold the cookie jar to buy drugs, then relieved himself on your front lawn. At 2pm. On a Tuesday. After that, he sent you a bill you for watering your flowers, all the while claiming he was saving you money."

Gnargh.

Was the thread aware that the Iron Sheik has just been & gone from the Mayor's office?

I saw Don Peat's tweet about it and I know he's in town for his film at HotDocs. I checked the Sheik's twitter feed and there was no torrent of abusive language directed at the mayor, though, so I don't know. :p

(I am ashamed to confess that I find the Iron Sheik's tweets ROFL funny even though they are racist/sexist/ homophobic/violent/ juvenile, etc. :eek: It's just so over-the-top outrageous I can't help but laugh every time)

You're not being entirely fair, SUV. Yes, MM said a search warrant might be being executed at Casa Ford, but he also clearly stated that his comment was speculation based on sightings of a bunch of cop cars on the street. He was also prompt in reporting the false alarm.

No, I think people cut him entirely too much slack. If he had waited 15 minutes, he would've realized it was not search warrants being executed, but he wanted to be the first guy to tweet it so he just guessed based on the formula (cop cars)+(Ford's street) = shit going down. Really unimpressive.

Hey, I just saw an ambulance go by! Rob Ford dead of heart attack! You heard it here first. Oops false alarm guys.

"They are saying, we would rather have a guy on crack, than a mayor who will raise our taxes. They are saying, we don't care if he drives his Escalade drunk through the city, we care that he wants to privatize garbage collection. They are saying, we will vote for a gerbil if we get a dollar back."

Rick Mercer

I think Rick Mercer projects too much rationality on Ford supporters - as if they're carefully weighing the pros of tax cuts against the cons of having a mayor on crack. Ford's appeal seems to be this deep resonance that he strikes with some members of the public that he's "one of us". That's why he can (and did) raise their taxes, and they still support him. That's why non-crack smoking candidates who promise tax cuts are ignored.

I think it was Matt Elliott who tweeted earlier today that Ford supporters are looking for a saviour figure.

"No, he sold the cookie jar to buy drugs, then relieved himself on your front lawn. At 2pm. On a Tuesday. After that, he sent you a bill you for watering your flowers, all the while claiming he was saving you money."

Gnargh.

True dat.

But, wait, there's more.

He appeals to the "Lumpenproletariat", as NYC Boy has pointed out.

Where is our La Guardia?

No, I think people cut him entirely too much slack. If he had waited 15 minutes, he would've realized it was not search warrants being executed, but he wanted to be the first guy to tweet it so he just guessed based on the formula (cop cars)+(Ford's street) = shit going down. Really unimpressive.

If he had waited 15 minutes, and the "perp walk" was not caught on camera, people would have never forgiven him.

Hey, I just saw an ambulance go by! Rob Ford dead of heart attack! You heard it here first. Oops false alarm guys.

I don't disagree with you. But on the other hand, there are loads of people chasing him for chatter. (He's giving the taxpayers what they want!) To me, the bigger mystery is why people put so much faith in the guy. It's third-hand gossip and should be treated as such. Yeah, the guy's in a bit of an echo-chamber and has been sipping on his own Kool-Aid. But I can't get worked up about it. I guess that makes me a slack-cutter. LOL.

Screen Shot 2014-04-25 at 6.22.10 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-25 at 6.22.10 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-04-25 at 6.22.10 PM.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 821

That's not what he said though. He said there were cop cars on Ford's street, and wondered whether it was going down. He didn't outright say "it's going down right now!" at any time, and was prompt when the explanation came out.

Like a lot of people here, he's probably guilty of wishful thinking and wanting it to happen, but at no time then did he state that it was actually going down, just that there was a chance it might be happening, and we'd need to know more before we could say for sure either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back