669     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 595     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 734     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really enjoyed her coverage of the Caledonia crisis(ongoing) as well as her fair factual outline of the nova Scotia rape incident.

I really enjoyed her coverage of the Caledonia crisis(ongoing) as well as her fair factual outline of the nova Scotia rape incident.

As did I. <....Recognizes no small amount of personal hubris here...> So it's fair to say that I do enjoy her writing when her outrage mirrors my own ;)

It was clarified several pages ago that this discussion was NOT about small-time cannabis dealers, but higher-level dealers of more serious drugs. E.g. crack. So, organized crime is almost certainly involved in those cases, and apparently several UTers are OK with that.

Sorry about that, I must have just skimmed those posts. Point taken.

I don't recall "I think all drugs should be legalized" or "I have nothing against drug users" or this nuance of "it's not Ford's drug use per se, it's his hypocrisy/irresponsibility/slacking off work/over-use/whatever" coming up when the crack allegations were first made or following Ford's admission or following the ITO release. But now that it has, I guess we can stop criticizing Ford for his drug use - ALL the drugs he uses - and his drug associates, right? Otherwise, we would be the hypocrites.

This sounds fair. In my case, the only criticism I've made of Ford's drug use is specific to Ford's choice to use crack cocaine being an indicator of his poor decision making skills; especially when coupled with the gangsters, and Ford holding public office.. My primary issue with Ford has always been his lying, and disdain for facts. I have public social networking posts to back this up, as well as at least one Disqus comment. I would have posted such opinions here as well if I had been more than just a lurker at the time. The "war on drugs" is a waste of money, and the only thing prohibition has been good for is establishing a lucrative black market.

Well, that worked to keep his job in his conflict of interest debacle.

No it didn't, it's what got him nailed in that debacle.
What got him out was the fact the integrity commish didn't have the authority to fine him in the first place. He didn't know that when he voted or when he testified he was allowed to do it. It was a technicality among technicalities and the same strategy (i.e. thinking he gets to make up what constitutes a conflict or a libellous remark) won't play this time. Even if he somehow actually believes Dale was in his backyard armed with a DRL and a zoom lens, where the kids were playing tag in the nude and Ford himself was reading the writings of Marcus Aurelius with a nice and innocent glass of chablis in hand, it still wouldn't be a defense.

Just saw this and had to chuckle: RoFo getting laughed at - for getting his football knowledge mixed up. Say it ain't so?!?! ;-)

Why Toronto mayor Rob Ford liked the Giants this week ... then didn't

Articled lede: "It's understandable: You do enough crack and spend enough days, self-admittedly, in a drunken stupor, and, hey, you might forget where you left your pipe (or, say, a video of you smoking crack), let alone remember where all NFL teams play.

That seemed to happen to Toronto mayor Rob Ford, the world's most partying politico..."

First comment on story is from a Rofo defender. Cue vomit.

Last edited:
Sorry about that, I must have just skimmed those posts. Point taken.

This sounds fair. In my case, the only criticism I've made of Ford's drug use is specific to Ford's choice to use crack cocaine being an indicator of his poor decision making skills; especially when coupled with the gangsters, and Ford holding public office.. My primary issue with Ford has always been his lying, and disdain for facts. I have public social networking posts to back this up, as well as at least one Disqus comment. I would have posted such opinions here as well if I had been more than just a lurker at the time. The "war on drugs" is a waste of money, and the only thing prohibition has been good for is establishing a lucrative black market.

The war on drugs has been excellent for the private prison industry in the states as well.
I have a huge problem with Ford drinking and driving. I have a problem with Ford's extensive and seemingly indiscriminate use of different kinds of drugs. He is drinking and drugged at work, while driving, all the time. He is not fit to represent our city.
If he were an average person, no one would have an issue. We might feel concern that he is an addict, but that would be his life.
But he is representing ALL of us, and he is a very poor choice for that.

Your knowledge is lacking. 2 other notable one-on-one confrontations with a reporter:

Mary Walsh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5t-r2OHoWU
John Barber
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra_NkjdjI3k

Those were not "one-on-one" in the sense I meant it. Other people were around. Both were recorded and the video is available to the public. Ford's confrontation with Dale is the only one I'm aware of in which no one else was around. He doesn't have the same room to lie about what happened with Barber or Walsh.

Have you ever met Daniel Dale? He's over six feet tall, and a big sports fan - particularly Bills football, ironically.

I admit I've never met him. I was going off Edward Keenan's description of him as a "little guy" and a "thin wisp of a young man." I was not aware of his height. Everything else I've said is accurate, and I doubt his being a sports fan endears him to the likes of the Fords.

Last edited:
Those were not "one-on-one" in the sense I meant it. Other people were around. Both were recorded and the video is available to the public. Ford's confrontation with Dale is the only one I'm aware of in which no one else was around. He doesn't have the same room to lie about what happened with Barber or Walsh

the Warmington episode may fit your criteria - where Ford went off on him on the phone (not thinking that loyal Joe would go public with it) for not towing the line.
his relationship with the media, or even his idea of what a relationship with the media is, is terrifying.*

*I must add that I, in no way, recognize SUN media as "media journalism" in any sense (!).

the Warmington episode may fit your criteria - where Ford went off on him on the phone (not thinking that loyal Joe would go public with it) for not towing the line.
his relationship with the media, or even his idea of what a relationship with the media is, is terrifying.*

*I must add that I, in no way, recognize SUN media as "media journalism" in any sense (!).

True. But the confrontation with Warmington was on the phone. Hard to claim that a phone call presents a threat to your kids. I suppose he could allege that Warmington said something ludicrous, but it's not really the same golden opportunity as a physical meeting that no one else saw. And as you note, Warmington is the Fords' stenographer.

The war on drugs has been excellent for the private prison industry in the states as well.
I have a huge problem with Ford drinking and driving. I have a problem with Ford's extensive and seemingly indiscriminate use of different kinds of drugs. He is drinking and drugged at work, while driving, all the time. He is not fit to represent our city.
If he were an average person, no one would have an issue. We might feel concern that he is an addict, but that would be his life.
But he is representing ALL of us, and he is a very poor choice for that.

Great points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back