320     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 427     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's reading as though people are confusing two different things. Rob Ford lost his own phone. This loss was not reported to police. The ITO indicates that Sandro Lisi was going around with a bag of pot, trying to get the Mayor's phone back. Sandro Lisi is now charged with extortion relating to a video shot using a whole other phone. It is still unclear how this phone and the footage recovered from a hard drive tie in together. It is clear that these are two different phones, owned by two different people, using two different approaches to gain possession of them.

In other news, Rob Ford, who is known to police, makes a throat slashing gesture during today's budget meeting.

Last edited:
O/T but I have an old computer and I've been wondering about getting it recycled. (By old I mean OLD -- Windows 2000 old :p). It died abruptly so I couldn't reformat the hard drive or delete stuff (just couldn't get back into it to do anything, obviously wasn't worth paying to fix such a relic).

I don't have any sensitive/illegal stuff on it but I am worried about identity theft, which is why I haven't given it to be recycled. Instead it's been sitting on my balcony for the last 4 years. Do you think data is still recoverable even after 4 years of rain, snow, heat, etc?

Probably not but take a drill and run a hole (or two) through it just to be safe (top to bottom on the flat side). I have had to crush drives and you need a small hydraulic jobby to be able to do it (that way) without killing yourself.

It's reading as though people are confusing two different things. Rob Ford lost his own phone. This loss was not reported to police. The ITO indicates that Sandro Lisi was going around with a bag of pot, trying to get the Mayor's phone back. Sandro Lisi is now charged with extortion relating to a video shot using a whole other phone. It is still unclear how this phone and the footage recovered from a hard drive tie in together. It is clear that these are two different phones, owned by two different people, using two different approaches to gain possession of them.

In other news, Rob Ford, who is known to police, makes a throat slashing gesture during today's budget meeting.

Unless someone sent the original video to Rob Ford and he had THAT on his phone as well when he lost it.

No "unless": they are still two different phones. There were still two very different approaches taken: pot for the Mayor's cell phone; something being called extortion to secure the video months later.

O/T but I have an old computer and I've been wondering about getting it recycled. (By old I mean OLD -- Windows 2000 old :p). It died abruptly so I couldn't reformat the hard drive or delete stuff (just couldn't get back into it to do anything, obviously wasn't worth paying to fix such a relic).

I don't have any sensitive/illegal stuff on it but I am worried about identity theft, which is why I haven't given it to be recycled. Instead it's been sitting on my balcony for the last 4 years. Do you think data is still recoverable even after 4 years of rain, snow, heat, etc?

Check out 'dban'. Apparently it is what the US gov uses (or once used) to erase old hard drives. It's a free download.

I used it on my old laptop before I gave it to charity (it was my personal tax data that I had to clobber). Dban does seven passes with binary zeroes ... Too techie info for most folks, for sure.

first one of these I've received in a while:
Dear Friends,

Here is a summary of my remarks from today's Budget meeting:

Today, I'm proud to tell Toronto taxpayers that I am continuing to do the work for which I was elected.

Through this budget, the people of Toronto can rest assured that its City continues to:

hold the line on property tax
increasesinvest in priorities like the Scarborough Subway
deliver the services that they need
be a competitive city to do business
invest billions of dollars into Toronto's growing infrastructure needs
Since amalgamation, the City has carried an annual budget shortfall which in recent years has grown.

Each year's shortfall was solved with one-time fixes. These one-time fixes actually contributed to our financial issues, leaving us with an even bigger shortfall every year.

But I want to remind you that last year, my administration turned the corner. We looked at our services and determined which ones were our core services and found permanent savings.

And in 2013, because we found these savings, we were able to - for the first time since amalgamation - eliminate the unsustainable use of surplus money from the previous year to fund annual expenses.

I am happy to say that the 2014 City Budget is balanced, protects core services, and for the second year in a row, it is balanced without the use of prior year surplus funds.

However, I do not agree with the proposed residential tax increase of 2.5%; this is higher than the 1.75% increase which was agreed to back in January. I will be continuing to speak with the City Manager and Budget Chief to bring this number down.

The original 1.75% proposed included a buffer to allow for subway funding, and I also see no mention of a Land Transfer Tax reduction.

I find it hard to believe that in a budget of over $12 billion, we cannot find a further $18 million in efficiencies – that's less than two-tenths of one percent.

So far in 2013, City Council has approved over $12 million in spending that went against staff recommendations.

In just one short week since my powers were reduced, we can see the old ways of tax and spend have returned to City Hall. I will not stand by and let this happen, and the taxpayers of this City should not either.

I'd like to thank City Manager Joe Pennachetti, CFO Rob Rossini Josie LaVita, Director of Financial Planning, and the Budget Chief, Councillor Frank Di Giorgio for their work - and I'd also like to thank all the staff - for their efforts in drafting a proposed budget for City Council to consider.

Thank you for helping to usher in a new era in the City's history – one that's built on a strong foundation of accountability, transparency and strong customer service.

As always, please contact me at 416-397-FORD (3673) or email me at mayor_ford@toronto.ca if I can ever be of assistance to you.

Yours truly,

Mayor Rob Ford

Thanks for the advice themarc. I'll wait till spring as I don't feel like opening it up now that it's cold outside, and I don't want to bring it indoors as it might have a colony of spiders living in it by now for all I know. TonyV, as I said, I couldn't get it to even start up, so no way to download anything on to the old PC now (even less likely after it's been outdoors for 4 years LOL).

And someone's already making money off the RoFo scandal :D
Alex Ballingall ‏@aballinga 22m
I went in this tour today, led by a troupe of "satan worshippers." Story to come in the @TorontoStar

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BZ87UKNIMAAPPHP.jpg:large
(It's a poster for the ROFO Bus Tour -- pic is pretty big so I'm just posting a link)

first one of these I've received in a while:

...The original 1.75% proposed included a buffer to allow for subway funding, and I also see no mention of a Land Transfer Tax reduction.

I find it hard to believe that in a budget of over $12 billion, we cannot find a further $18 million in efficiencies – that's less than two-tenths of one percent.

Lets spin this differently: I find it hard to believe that in a budget of over $12 billion, we cannot afford to pay only $18 million more – that's less than two-tenths of one percent.

Lets spin this differently: I find it hard to believe that in a budget of over $12 billion, we cannot afford to pay only $18 million more – that's less than two-tenths of one percent.

How about this: Mayor Ford throws tantrum over a $13 annual tax increase.

which he voted for with his subway

Right. This is the way to say it:

"Ford refuses to pay for Scarborough Subway"

Plaster this on the headlines and you'll start making people doubt.

Remember that to Ford Nation, even $18 million is a lot- you can't attack him through common sense.

Has anything more come of his campaign donations from the deceased?

Was that all nonsense? Why didn't the media pick it up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back