574     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 542     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 1.5K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
So being concerned about the environment is 'kooky'? Why is Elizabeth May considered a kook?
I think there have been so many toxic elements introduced to our physical environment in the past 50 years or so, with not enough independent research being done into the long term effects.
A person can be concerned about all of this, without being a 'conspiracy kook', or being part of Ford Nation.

CBC reports an APB was put out for Ford after he got in his car from the Harper BBQ. Witnesses had called 911.

How did he make it from Sunnybrook to Jarvis/Dundas in a large Black Escalade with an APB out for him and isn't found until he is snug in his hotel room? WTF?

Maybe they put one cop car (marked or not) in front of the Escalade, one behind, and just hoped if he hits anything, it's one of them.

it's one thing to be uninformed, or even misinformed, about westminster parliaments and the ontario legislature particularly. that is acceptable, to me. but to know better - to argue semantics that the premier is unelected because she hasn't led her party in a general election - and to still throw around these terms, is reprehensible. you're aiming for a very specific political effect, a very partisan effect, by misleading people.

as a public servant who does some pretty ridiculous things to try and keep track of taxpayer dollars being spent, i really resent how online partisans misrepresent government finances.

"Unelected" is definitely overstating the case. Wynne is clearly elected on the basis of being elected in a party based electoral system. However, there is legitimate criticism to be made, regardless of PC precedent in Ontario, about switching leaders almost immediately after the election.

It takes almost equal sophistry or naivete to deny that people vote for leaders, regardless of what they're punching in at the ballot box. That absolute. literal interpretation is incredibly simplistic.

There's a reason the Liberals under Ignatieff flopped beyond the party or it's policies. There's a reason the Progressive Conservatives flopped under Hudak when by all accounts they should have won given frustration with the Liberals. There's a reason the Liberals will do better in the next federal election beyond Conservative political scandals. Trudeau raised Liberal numbers almost immediately.

People do in fact vote for leaders, consciously or not, officially or not, at the ballot box.

Why is the distinction being made between land lines and cell phones regarding telephone surveys?
Are robots not capable of dialing area codes that are largely used for cell phones or are they programmed to ignore "647" etc because they are not specific to small definable geographic areas and for that reason considered less likely to provide useful responses than "416"?
The NNX section of a phone number such as 416 NNX 1234 is geographically defined but not in any other way.

Just curious.

Most modern day phones (i.e.; cordless, 'cause it's damn hard to find a corded one nowadays) require a wall-wart, which means unless you're keeping an old princess phone around for emergencies, you're not likely to have phone service anyway.

I'm in the same age group and I haven't had a true land-line since 2006, when we got a vonage line. That vonage line was finally ditched a few months ago.

There are now telephones that have USB connections with cell phones, have batteries for power failures, and bluetooth connections. See link.

Interesting thing about wind farms: in Alberta, where they don't hold up wind farms on private property if the owner wants to build a wind farm, there are zero complaints about the health effects. Zero. I suspect folks who don't like the aesthetic appeal of wind farms suddenly catch 'wind farm disease' much more readily when that is a way of slowing their development. N'est-ce pas?

One right-wing woman on twitter has regularly spammed #TOpoli with anti-windfarm stuff. Why? Well, one is being built about a half km from her place. She always argues about how many birds are killed by windmills, and when I hit her with facts, she changed course and raged about property values and how the view from her front door will be besmirched. Co-opting environmental issues to cover up your own self-interests is the epitome of hypocrisy.

Why is the distinction being made between land lines and cell phones regarding telephone surveys?
Are robots not capable of dialing area codes that are largely used for cell phones or are they programmed to ignore "647" etc because they are not specific to small definable geographic areas and for that reason considered less likely to provide useful responses than "416"?
The NNX section of a phone number such as 416 NNX 1234 is geographically defined but not in any other way.

Just curious.

Toronto has 416, 647, and now 437 area codes. However, if a former cell phone owner moves from the Toronto to Mississauga (for example), they may not change their cell phone number to the new area code. I've have a friend living in Mississauga with a 905 land line, but has a 647 cell phone number.

So being concerned about the environment is 'kooky'? Why is Elizabeth May considered a kook?
I think there have been so many toxic elements introduced to our physical environment in the past 50 years or so, with not enough independent research being done into the long term effects.
A person can be concerned about all of this, without being a 'conspiracy kook', or being part of Ford Nation.

Nobody is accusing anyone of being part of Ford Nation, just pointing out the irony of people outraged by the Fordian conspiracy theories only to reference similar myths. May's wifi fears have even less scientific basis than Ford's claim that LRT's are streetcars, if you want some perspective.

Exactly. In that sense, the people never elect the Premiere or Prime Minister -- instead, we elect a party, and that party chooses who its leader is, and thus who gets to be Premiere or Prime Minister.

Seriously, this is Civics 101. No one who lives in this country should be confused by a parliamentary system of governance.

A side note, it's worth noting that premiers and prime ministers don't always have seats in their legislative bodies. We see it from time to time, when the party elects a leader who is not a sitting legislator. That was the case last May in B.C., for example. Christy Clark lost in her riding, although her Liberal party won the election. She was voted into the legislature in a July byelection. Digging further back, John Turner never held a seat in Parliament during his brief turn as Prime Minister. Instead of running in a byelelction, he called general election. He won his riding, but Liberals lost power, and Turner became leader of the opposition (this time with a seat in Parliament).

Because most (if not all) mobile phone users, unlike land line users, have to pay for incoming calls. So the practice of pollsters or telemarketers calling mobile phone numbers is frowned upon.

FWIW, I know someone who received one of the recent Forum poll calls on her cell phone. She didn't actually go through with the poll, because she gave the 'wrong' answer to one of the 'qualifying'/screening questions at the beginning. Not sure, but that question might have been, "Is this a mobile phone?"

Holy crap. "Cell phones cause brain tumours"? I liked you, UT. I freakin' liked you. Some goddamn stupid shit has been said in this thread, but don't do this to me.

That photo essay was dumb.

Rob Ford being Rob Ford.

I also doubt he was smoking crack at the BBQ. Popping Oxy's, maybe. Bathroom bumps, probably. Giddy to meet Harper, extremely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back