988     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 632     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm willing to bet that he doesn't actually have a heavy drinking problem. He more likely has a problem with harder drugs. Maybe it's crack, maybe it's cocaine or oxy. Either way, the fact that the Fords are so eager to have us talk about booze rather than other matters is reason enough to believe that this story is just one big smokescreen.

I'll take that bet. Someone who, from the surveillance report, never seems to leave the house without two bottles of cheap vodka has a problem, and a heavy one. I think he also does hard drugs but the booze is absolutely concerning as well.

I actually think Ford does coke on the weekends, and got caught trying crack once which happened to be caught on video. I dont think he smokes crack regularly, or is addicted to crack. He's too fat to be a crackhead.

I do think he should get help for his coke problem and his excessive drinking though

Every single person who has a second degree connection to Ford knows he does a lot of blow. I think the crack thing was an experiment.

I'm willing to bet that he doesn't actually have a heavy drinking problem. He more likely has a problem with harder drugs. Maybe it's crack, maybe it's cocaine or oxy. Either way, the fact that the Fords are so eager to have us talk about booze rather than other matters is reason enough to believe that this story is just one big smokescreen.
I agree. This is Canada, almost everyone drinks. It's not an illegal substance. He can gain sympathy from his supporters if they think it's just alcohol that he has a problem with. But coke? Crack? That is going to the dark side, a side which his supporters don't necessarily understand. I'm not sure they can even tolerate it. Therefore, Ford must ignore that side of the story.

Hello everyone, long time lurker, first time poster....

I'm looking for a non-1010 archive of yesterday's show. Rob quickly mumbled something before a (maybe the 2nd) commercial break about "all this for a lost cell phone...[something]...this off my chest..."

I can't seem to find that part in the 1010 stream anymore, may have been edited out at around the 13:45 mark, when Rob says "...it's challenging..." and Doug takes it to commercial.

https://soundcloud.com/the-city-with-rob-ford/the-city-nov-3-hour-1

Any sources for an unedited version?

FWIW I'm a "she" but thanks for the source. I wouldn't take anything on twitter as proof of much, but as I said the only place I've ever seen the mayor is at the liquor store and, anecdotally, anyone at work or in casual conversation who's seen him has been either at an event or the LCBO. Man definitely has a drinking problem (which even he doesn't seem to quite admit to - downing whole mickeys of vodka and driving around is a far cry from "a few cold ones").

Oh, sorry about that---assumptions! Anyhow, yes, there've been lots of twitter sightings at LCBOs in the past, plenty enough to at least conclude that smoke probably leads to fire. It wouldn't be hard to find out if he bought alcohol last night if you found an employee or witness willing to talk---but as I said, better yet to ask him directly. He's got his guard up now, being more cagey about lying and denials, and might assume someone already had the goods on his liquor purchase, thus forcing him to cop to it.

Nobody here is suggesting protest at his house.
Actually it was suggested a number of pages back and other forum members supported the action even going on claim he himself has harmed his children irreparably so such a protest would be fine.
To this point I completely disagree. I was disgusted when it was done to Kathleen Wynn by First Nation protesters. When someone gives themselves up to public service, that does not mean they abdicate all rights to privacy. If you want to attract quality individuals to politics, you have to ensure they have some guaranty of privacy for their personal lives.

You want to protest at City Hall, go ahead, that is your right. I have yet to see anyone protesting Harper's senate scandal because it is not going to accomplish anything. There is a long list of problems with the Harper government and if you feel like protesting them, go ahead.

Ford is an embarrassment. I wish he would quit, I wish he could be pushed out by council or the courts. At this point it seems unlikely.
He will likely run again and I hope that some centre right individual (John Tory would be my choice) draws all of his support and he gets soundly trounced at the polls.

So it seems that Chief Blair doesn't have the power to release the crack video. What about the lawyers? Is there a legal procedure that can be initiated to have it released or do we have to wait until the trial, if there is one, to begin?

It's my understanding that a judge may permit the videos to be released if it's in the public interest. However that is unlikely since it may compromise the trial. In the meantime we will likely have those wiretaps released to the public.

I'll take that bet. Someone who, from the surveillance report, never seems to leave the house without two bottles of cheap vodka has a problem, and a heavy one. I think he also does hard drugs but the booze is absolutely concerning as well.

Maybe I missed those pages, but I only seem to recall seeing a report involving two mickeys-- one of which was likely consumed by Lisi when the two met up. Whatever the case, it's barely worth mentioning when compared to all the other damning evidence that's currently on the table.

It's my understanding that a judge may permit the videos to be released if it's in the public interest. However that is unlikely since it may compromise the trial. In the meantime we will likely have those wiretaps released to the public.

If the wiretaps are released, Ford will say it's not him but rather someone who sounds like him -- like Ian from Etobicoke!

Fortunately, Ford is stupid and didn't use burner cell phones but made repeated calls from his OnStar phone, his cell phone and if I remember correctly a number that was identified in the ITO as being a possible second landline in his home. Maybe that's how he thought he could trick the police -- install a second landline!

He's too fat to be a crackhead.

I'm astounded at how many people still believe that crack makes people thin. It doesn't. Crack literally never made one person on earth thin and please stop spreading this meme.

The reason why crack addicts are often thin is because they're addicts, and usually impoverished. They have $10, that's going to buy crack and not food. Rob Ford is staggeringly wealthy, and can afford copious amounts of both crack and food if that is his desire.

Maybe I missed those pages, but I only seem to recall seeing a report involving two mickeys-- one of which was likely consumed by Lisi when the two met up. Whatever the case, it's barely worth mentioning when compared to all the other damning evidence that's currently on the table.

I think it's absolutely worth mentioning because it seems to be his drug of choice, and because he can drink in public with relative impunity, has a far greater to affect the day-to-day duties of his job.

edited to replace fat and thin. whoops.

Last edited:
List of city councilors:

http://app.toronto.ca/im/council/councillors.jsp

Find yours, get emailing.

Dear Councilor McConnell:

I am upset at how Toronto has been shamed on the world stage and how Rob Ford’s behavior has become the focus of our attention rather than issues we should be dealing with.

What are you personally doing, as my city councilor, to convey to the mayor that he cannot currently lead the city?

And presuming he is not in a listening mood, what will you do to try to contain the harm he is doing to Toronto? For instance, completely defunding the mayor’s office; walking out whenever he attends a meeting, etc.

I hope you will realize this is a very serious issue for Toronto and I look forward to hear that you are trying to do something about it.

Thanks,

Kevin Speight
25 George St., Toronto

This is one aspect of Ford's tenure no one wants to discuss. What's the financial equivalent of productivity lost with all the time spent by councilors, the mayor, etc. dealing with all of these scandals and lies? I'm willing to bet it's in the millions.

I'm astounded at how many people still believe that crack makes people thin. It doesn't. Crack literally never made one person on earth thin and please stop spreading this meme.

The reason why crack addicts are often thin is because they're addicts, and usually impoverished. They have $10, that's going to buy crack and not food. Rob Ford is staggeringly wealthy, and can afford copious amounts of both crack and food if that is his desire
While that maybe true, I still dont think he's a crackhead.

If he was he would eventually cave to his addiction and get caught buying crack, or get caught doing something stupid while wasted (like driving his car drunk and high).

Cocaine however, is something you can hide for a long time without people catching on

The Star reports this:

“Doug will be provincial — he will be premier one day. It has nothing to do with me,” Ford said.

“The guy is 10 times smarter than anyone I’ve ever met. To say Doug is associated with me? We love each other, we’re best friends, but don’t put him in the same boat as me.”

If Doug is 'ten times smarter" than anyone Rob has ever met I fear he is not meeting the enough people. :->

The Star reports this:

“Doug will be provincial — he will be premier one day. It has nothing to do with me,” Ford said.

“The guy is 10 times smarter than anyone I’ve ever met. To say Doug is associated with me? We love each other, we’re best friends, but don’t put him in the same boat as me.”

If Doug is 'ten times smarter" than anyone Rob has ever met I fear he is not meeting the enough people. :->

The fact that he is trying to distance Doug from himself in radio interviews makes me think he's not confident that he's staying Mayor, and doesn't want his actions to impede his brothers chances. Otherwise it would be an odd thing for someone who literally sees nothing wrong with their actions to say.

Sent my email to the executive. Haven't heard back from Pam McConnell (who I emailed yesterday).

to: councillor_crawford@toronto.ca, councillor_crisanti@toronto.ca, councillor_digiorgio@toronto.ca, councillor_kelly@toronto.ca, mcrover2@toronto.ca, councillor_mammoliti@toronto.ca, councillor_milczyn@toronto.ca, councillor_minnan-wong@toronto.ca, councillor_palacio@toronto.ca, councillor_perruzza@toronto.ca, councillor_shiner@toronto.ca, councillor_thompson@toronto.ca
exc@toronto.ca

To the Executive Committee Members:

Reports of the unprecedented behavior of Toronto’s mayor Rob Ford are making worldwide headlines, including The Economist and The New York Times. Our city is being shamed on a global scale. Much of the story is not so much that a mayor did stupid things, but that the citizens of Toronto are tolerating it and allowing him to continue to represent him.

You, as Executive Committee members, have the power to take a loud and clear stand on this issue.

What do you plan to do to let the world know that Toronto does not wish to be represented by this man?

I believe if you do not take clear action, all of you will be held accountable by voters at election time for enabling this continuing debacle.

Thank you,

Kevin Speight (ward 28)

Great letter Kevin. I will take some of your points when I speak with some of the Executive Committee members in person through the week. I already know that Michael Thompson has rescinded his support but others have yet to make firm demands. One or two members stepping off the Executive is not enough. We need a near total exodus to send a clear message that the Mayor no longer has support in his Executive. We need Toronto Council to formally and explicitly censure Ford. They need to speak with one loud voice that he has lost legitimacy to lead the city and so they no longer recognize him as the leader of City Council and demand that he step down. A Mayor is an honourable position of trust. Ford has no honour and has lost the city's trust.

Statements about continuing business should be appended by "in spite of the Mayor". They should not work with him and insist that he step down every time they address him in City Council.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back