2.6K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.8K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 661     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea. I suppose they don't want potential bad press.

I suppose in Toronto we don't bring a whole lot to the table in terms of progressive transit ideas. It would be a waste of time to discuss transit solutions with Toronto when it's very clear any ideas to move forward would be vetoed by public opinion supported by the Mayor?

Hopefully Gloria Lindsay Luby got some bad info, or there were reasons other than our latest torrent of news.

I suppose in Toronto we don't bring a whole lot to the table in terms of progressive transit ideas. It would be a waste of time to discuss transit solutions with Toronto when it's very clear any ideas to move forward would be vetoed by public opinion supported by the Mayor?

Hopefully Gloria Lindsay Luby got some bad info, or there were reasons other than our latest torrent of news.

The TTC and MTA have worked together in the past. Usually on smaller issues that aren't widely publicized.

The Layton tribute was so beautiful and (seemingly?) spontaneous that I'd hate to see it tarnished for this. I'm also skeptical of the optics of either (a) what looks like a lynch mob or (b) [more likely] a small band of protestors, easily dismissed. I'd rather a letter writing campaign, myself. People tend to only take to the streets en masse when it affects them directly (cuts) or is a life or death issue (war protests). I could be wrong, but I'd hate to see this help Ford's position in any way. And frankly millions of people in the streets around the world did nothing to curtail the escalation of the war in Iraq, and Ford is even more pig-headed than Bush.

Doug Ford says they have support from immigrants because many of them come from countries loaded with corruption, and that Rob is 'an honest guy that goes to people's doors'.

These clowns are unbelieveable.

Though they do have a "point"...that is, if you interpret "corruption" liberally; that is, they come from places where the ruling elites are commonly deemed "corrupt" (and, all too often, they opted for Canada in the name of "freedom" from such perceived-to-be-corrupt ruling-elitism), and, fueled by the Fords, they're projecting such attitudes upon the non-Ford political network here.

Of course, all too often coming from faulty or non-democracies, they can have a clumsy grasp of what properly functioning Western democracy is all about.

Hence the TTC having stuff that can create a mockup of a New York City subway station using Lower Bay station.

They've also coordinated on safety strategies and campaigns before. I believe that some of the safety advisories on the TTC were designed by MTA and vice versa.

The meeting that MTA canceled with the TTC may have had something to do with the order of articulated trains they're considering.

Last edited:
Presumably he's implying that the video will prove he wasn't smoking crack and that the public can judge for themselves.

Obviously he's in denial about how obfuscating the facts for the past 4 months has eroded his credibility and caused him to effectively lose the trust of the people.

If I'm reading this right: if CN Tower is questioning Ford, then Ford's in real trouble.

Councillors Kelly, Nunziata, Mammoliti and of course Doug will all kiss Ford's ass until the second before he exits the door. Mammo will then say he never liked him anyway, Nunziata will appear shocked like she didn't know all along, Kelly will say the city needs to move forward despite making no serious attempts to force Ford out and Doug won't shut his face until he too is kicked out.

I've always looked at Holyday and Nunziata as serving as RoFo's watchful yet protective "mom & dad" figures at City Hall--and with Kelly, right now, serving as a stepfather or cross-town uncle figure. Which explains their "softness" against apparent common sense.

Are you referring to the media, or commenters, as you mention both and they are far from the same thing. Also, provided you actually have found a media source for this, how have you inferred the souce is "left wing" if they are simply reporting on something the MTA has done? Unless its an editorial, reporting something relevant to the readers does not make the source left wing unless an opinion is attached.

Edit: wow, just noticed the National Post is reporting this.

Left wing / Right wing - it doesn't matter; I shouldn't have used that term ... I hate fold with all my heart ; - ) ... but for all the right reasons, and it has absolutely nothing to do with what he does after 9-5. I've never witnessed anyone as incompetent; No, bush had / has nothing on Ford in this regard.

My comment regarding the media stems from this observation; I think the media have done a great job propelling Ford (though rather indirectly and unintentionally) in the early days; Do you recall the countless silly articles in the star and other papers about trivial matters. This drove this whole media vs Ford mentality; Which it in self I don't mind but simple folk (this may come out as derogatory but how else should I refer to current day Ford supporters?) view this as "the big bad media conglomerates" vs a poor citizen (i.e. Ford) ... only fueling their love for him.

Oh and the whole conservative cut / reduce tax ... I don't mind at all, not that I agree with the notion, but its a valid argument ... this has nothing to do with why I consider Ford incompetent ...

Last edited:
Childish demonstrations like John Clarke's crowd and “Occupy whatever†gathered at NPS to stamp your feet in petulant tantrums proves that you have no solutions, only complaints and are guaranteed to earn not the support but the scorn of the thinking public.

"Thinking public" as a euphemism for the equally euphemistic "we can think for ourselves" public, of course.

As for the Ford children being harassed by the media, their father is now officially a middle-aged drunk with a number of other undisclosed secrets and few employment prospects. I think that irreversible damage has already been done to that family and that has nothing to do with the media.

Look at it this way: if he, himself, seeks to literally harm his children as part of some huge in-house altercation, that's his prerogative. Sad, yeah, but "at the end of the day", to use his words...

Of course, he'd blame endless media et al harassment, hounding him a la Di & Dodi's paparazzi, no wonder he snapped, etc etc etc...

If it were to be used as a site for demonstrations, it would be great to see NPS become a message board of sorts, the way it did after Layton passed away.

Chalk could be given to pedestrians who would be encouraged to write "RESIGN" as many times as they care to. I suggest just the one word because it's more direct and would keep the really nasty statements to a minimum. That one word repeated thousands of times across the square would be quite a poignant symbol, imo. Things like this have a better chance of succeeding because they're based on a simple act that participants are more likely to partake in because it doesn't involve stereotypical organized protest behavior. The words may very well get erased at the end of the day, but so be it. Protesters only tend to hang around for a couple of hours at most before heading back home. I'm willing to bet the words will be there longer.

Y'know...this might be the best model for any such protest. And all the more when one considers how genuinely, virally "spontaneous" Jack-chalking was in the first place--it didn't require being a "formalized" social-media event, it simply happened by itself. (Not to mention that it transcended urban-lefty-pinko-elitism in a way that appearances by Broken Social Scene or similar characters wouldn't.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back