News   Apr 22, 2024
 267     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 673     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Collective Madness– sick and tiredly submitted by Cityslikr

"This isn’t just about a white hot glowing hypocrisy or double standard. No, no. We’re talking about a complete and utter lack of conscience. There is no ability or requirement to distinguish between right and wrong. Caught with your hand in the cookie jar? Hey. You don’t want your cookies stolen, don’t leave them within reaching distance."

http://afuitbs.com/

With or without all the stuff Ford seems to have involved himself with, there's one thing that should be noted. Quite simply, he seems to have LIED to his employers (citizens of Toronto). Not sure about all of you, but if I lied to my employer....grounds for dismissal if caught. What's the difference here?

I can't make it tomorrow, but I could probably do Tuesday afternoon. It would be good if people had banners/music/puppets etc to attract others over.

Councillors Kelly, Nunziata, Mammoliti and of course Doug will all kiss Ford's ass until the second before he exits the door. Mammo will then say he never liked him anyway, Nunziata will appear shocked like she didn't know all along, Kelly will say the city needs to move forward despite making no serious attempts to force Ford out and Doug won't shut his face until he too is kicked out.

This non-apology was meant to save Ford Nation from abandoning him entirely but those who accept this as all they needed to hear would never abandon him anyway. I don't expect Council as a body to stop pressuring Ford to leave and of course more bad news -- the worst is yet to come ---will be arriving from the ITO soon. Yet, there's nothing we can do if Ford doesn't voluntarily leave. Even if he's charged and arrested, he'll be out on bail and will be able to run in the election. It's going to be a long year and we're stuck with this idiot until at least December.

We need an eject button, one that is hard to push but it needs to be legislated. An absolute super majority of council should be able to evict the Mayor or any other member of council if there is an argument that can be made as just cause. An absolute super majority requirement will prevent this from becoming a political weapon that is misused. Three quarters would be a good threshold.
Didn't you MM mention a 'de-fund' option? Someone mentioned it earlier. Council apparently discussed this in the summer?

I walked into a nice wine bar for lunch today, here in San Jose. Imagine my shock when, as soon as I walk in the door, I see a video of RoFo on CNN, apologising on air, with the commentators saying that he still has strong support in Toronto. The proprietor behind the bar must have thought I had ADD as I stood there, slack jawed and gobsmacked, staring at the screen. One patron at the bar asked "why are they allowing him to remain mayor?" excellent question....

Last edited:
Why is he still mayor? Comatose executive committee, slack media lackeys (I'm talking Warmington, Honickman, LeDrew among a few others) and puppet-master Doug still pulling the strings. Sad days for Toronto...

I went to the planned protest today at 11am. There was media from CTV, CBC, CP24, and more, starting footage and interviews. Unfortunately only about a dozen people showed up, so the media left. I did note media reported on a lone protester with a catchy sign outside 1010.

I remember the protest after the Star/Gawker stories broke. There were hundreds of people (looked like over a thousand to me), and it got decent coverage.

Who organized that one? They knew what they were doing. Had the usual 'professional protesters' from OCAP etc (no offense). They have the network and call lists to make it happen and a critical mass gets the media interested.

I assumed this protest was similar. People who make the time and effort to show up at a protest that fizzles are less likely to come next time.

Let's figure out how to do it right.

Seems to me the media are hopeless at getting any comment out of Ford. Pickets on the sidewalk outside his house by normal citizens would be interesting, although for us downtown elites it's hard to get there.

The public seems able to go into that fishbowl area where the media camps out (I did). Can protesters go there? With signs? Without signs? 10 "normal citizens" who start a chant or a song right as the mayor's presser starts would sure get attention.

List of city councilors:

http://app.toronto.ca/im/council/councillors.jsp

Find yours, get emailing.

Dear Councilor McConnell:

I am upset at how Toronto has been shamed on the world stage and how Rob Ford’s behavior has become the focus of our attention rather than issues we should be dealing with.

What are you personally doing, as my city councilor, to convey to the mayor that he cannot currently lead the city?

And presuming he is not in a listening mood, what will you do to try to contain the harm he is doing to Toronto? For instance, completely defunding the mayor’s office; walking out whenever he attends a meeting, etc.

I hope you will realize this is a very serious issue for Toronto and I look forward to hear that you are trying to do something about it.

Thanks,

Kevin Speight
25 George St., Toronto

I went to the planned protest today at 11am. There was media from CTV, CBC, CP24, and more, starting footage and interviews. Unfortunately only about a dozen people showed up, so the media left. I did note media reported on a lone protester with a catchy sign outside 1010.

It really wasn't organized well - it seemed like it was pretty much somebody's facebook event and it was announced last night, or something. For critical mass you really need a week or two for it to brew, and it has to actually be organized - to get 1000+ people out you actually need politicians or prominent people to show up, which requires a PA system, you kinda need SOME form of entertainment... it needs to be more like a rally. You can't just stand around with a few signs and stare at each other, and then leave after an hour or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back