720     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 950     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 564     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. While that may indeed be what Cook is getting at, lets hear it actually said and from some additional sources.

By the way, has anyone else been having an exceptionally difficult time concentrating at work these past few weeks?

Oh jesus, have I ever. I still get my time in, but it seems to take a few hours more from my day.

Maybe we can stop quoting this person? That's being stated as fact and seems way premature in my opinion.

Premature is a bit of an understatement, chances are this is just some random troll just trying to stir things up and see how much attention they can get.

Assuming it's not RF, the next mayor is going to have some giant shoes to fill in order to be newsworthy. I have to admit that I'm finding all this very exciting, like a train wreck.
As fun as this saga is, I'm really looking forward to a boring but competent city hall...

Assuming it's not RF, the next mayor is going to have some giant shoes to fill in order to be newsworthy. I have to admit that I'm finding all this very exciting, like a train wreck.

In my opinion, the news that comes out of City Hall should be that of city building, community building and progress. Not that of scandal, bridge burning and community dividing.
As much as I am compelled with this news, I can't wait for this city to have a new, focused administration. Rob Ford couldn't cut it then and he can't cut it now.

And I speak as one who when Ford was elected, said "give him a chance, he can't be all that bad!" and was promptly sucked in by his ideology.

Sorry guys! :(

Last edited:
Spoke with one councillor. They're remaining mostly quiet for a reason: Ford is stepping all over himself and they want him to have all the limelight. Says there's a nuclear option: call special meeting to adjust mayor's office budget to $0.00 to take control out of mayor's hands. No staff, no work gets done. Ford isn't allowed to use his own resources to pay staff. I think it won't need to get to that because by the end of the weekend, Ford won't have any staff anyway.

To be fair I don't think even the most ardent anti-Ford person would ever expect things to get to this level. This isn't simple blundering or incompetence like we all expected from Rob and Doug.

Sadly I think it'll be years before we find out the full, complete story of what's going on here. I can't wait to see who writes the first book - Towhey, the dismissed staff, or maybe the Fords themselves (hopefully with a ghostwriter).

We are in the news again, this on BBC website.

Second arrest over death linked to Toronto mayor scandal Mr Ford said video of him smoking crack cocaine "does not exist"

Toronto's Ford denies 'crack video'

A second man has been arrested in the death of a man linked to a video purported to show Toronto Mayor Rob Ford smoking crack cocaine.

Hanad Mohamed, 23, is due to appear in court on Friday on a murder charge.

He is accused of killing Anthony Smith, 21, seen posing with Mr Ford in a photo reported to have been provided to news media by the people who have the video.

Mr Ford has denied the video exists, accusing the media of stoking a scandal that has roiled city politics.

Journalists from the Toronto Star and US website Gawker say they have seen - but not obtained - a video that appeared to show Mr Ford smoking the drug.

In a photograph they say was provided to them by the people who showed them the video, Mr Ford can be seen posing with his arm around Smith.

Mr Mohamed was arrested on Wednesday in Alberta and is charged with murder.

In April, 23-year-old Nisar Hashimi turned himself in over the killing and also faces a murder charge.

The video has not been released publicly and has not been verified.

Gawker used a crowd-funding campaign to raise $200,000 (£140,000) to buy the video, but the website said it lost contact with the people in possession of the footage.

Mr Ford has said he does not smoke crack cocaine and is not an addict.

"I cannot comment on a video that I've never seen or that does not exist," he said last week.

The mayor has come under mounting pressure to resolve the issue as city councillors have called openly for him to step aside or seek help.

Earlier in May, Mr Ford sacked his chief of staff Mark Towhey. His office has denied reports that it ordered emails and phone records to be destroyed after other city hall aides were fired or quit in recent days.

Spoke with one councillor. They're remaining mostly quiet for a reason: Ford is stepping all over himself and they want him to have all the limelight. Says there's a nuclear option: call special meeting to adjust mayor's office budget to $0.00 to take control out of mayor's hands. No staff, no work gets done. Ford isn't allowed to use his own resources to pay staff. I think it won't need to get to that because by the end of the weekend, Ford won't have any staff anyway.

I hope they do the "nuclear option" if this story continues to go out of control. Will be an interesting experiment to see if Toronto really needs a mayor at all. I have a feeling that the downtown/suburb divide will be reduced without one .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back