45     0 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 633     1 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
So with about 56 hours to go and $27,000 before reaching the target I suspect that Gawker will kick-in whatever is necessary at the last minute to bring the fund over the top. They have too much riding on this video not to. Unlike the Star that used very careful language saying the video "appears" to show Rob Ford "apparently" smoking crack - Gawker has called Ford "Toronto's crack smoking Mayor". Obtaining this video is their best defense against a defamation lawsuit which will cost far more than $27K. Also another thing to consider is Gawker will most likely own the rights to the video and I am sure that they can make a lot more than $27K off of the rights to this video. I can see it getting over 30 Million hits on Youtube. How much would that be worth to Gawker?

They really don't have anything to lose by not getting the video. Defamation in the US is much harder then in Canada, where as you only have to say something untrue here, in the US you have to prove it was malicious.

So with about 56 hours to go and $27,000 before reaching the target I suspect that Gawker will kick-in whatever is necessary at the last minute to bring the fund over the top. They have too much riding on this video not to.

gee I wish i had thought of this and said it twice already

I cannot believe what I just heard on the radio. It must have been the most manipulative and dishonest interview I've ever heard.

First the radio guy mentions that Doug Ford is in a G & M article and he asks Doug how he's holding up.

Doug replies that the media is out to get him and his family and that his family has always given everything they have to Toronto and that they give to many charities.

Then Doug goes on to say that he's being attacked for smoking a joint in high school and who hasn't smoked a joint in high school. He says he admits to smoking a joint but it's ridiculous for the G & M to attack him for it, especially since he has done so much good for Toronto.

And that folks, is where the interview ends. The interviewer never asks him what he's talking about, or about being a drug dealer, or Rob smoking crack, or where he even got the story about him smoking a joint. For any radio station to play this bull-s**t, is just wrong. It's one, big, fat lie.

This interview was intentionally meant to mislead people who only read the headlines and have no idea what the G & M article was about. The next person I hear say that the Fords are honest men, I'm going to tell them to shut the F up!

What a manipulative, dishonest, lying sack of s**t!

Last edited:
Yes. The metro government, in my opinion, actually worked fairly well. The problem was that the city grew beyond the scope of Metro.

This is just my own opinion, but what I think may make the most sense (in a perfect world) is mayors (or ministers) of Toronto, North York, Etobicoke, Miss, Brampton, etc... with a regional "head of state".

As I said - I don't think amalgamation was necessarily a mistake, the mistake was the failure of the greater Toronto services board (GTSB) that was established around the time of amalgamation to actually grow into a quasi regional government.

I agree, Harris pooched the job, or did he, when downloading costs to Toronto, and something like a TRA would have to many teeth.

Last edited:
Is, or was, there ever a thread on UT that was formed to discuss the merits of the forced Amalgamation we are now living in and with? If not let's start one and remove the pros and cons debate from this thread and others that tend to detract from the real subject being discussed.

He's said that before. When Princess Warrior "Marg Delahunty" famously nailed Rob in his driveway she also got a minute with Doug outside City Hall and questioned him on the billions of dollars in savings. How can we trust someone who says they have saved the city billions of dollars, with a "b"? I mean seriously, this is what these guys are made of. Remember when they hired KPMG to find efficiencies after they found little and even KPMG had few recommendations, all at the cost to "the taxpayer"? Other examples could be easily found.

I did not look anything up now - just going be memory. Lets say City budget was $10B when Ford took over. Miller was increasing budget by 4.5%, Inflation was 2.5%, and Ford increased by <2% (say 0%, 1.5%, 1.5%). Then we look at what the yearly budget would be under 3 scenarios and total them up.

Miller, Ford 1, Ford 2, Ford 3, Total, "savings"

$10.0, $10.0, $10.2, $10.3,,, $30.5,
$10.0, $10.3, $10.5, $10.8,,, $31.5,,, $1.1
$10.0, $10.5, $10.9, $11.4,,, $32.8,,, $2.3

So it seems reasonable to say the Ford has saved the City "billions". If someone is really ambitious, they can look up some more accurate numbers and prove me wrong.

Adrienne Batra just outed Ford:

What his current and former experienced staffers have advised him to do is to get a driver, stop calling constituents late at night, get some rest, and as the Sun reported, go to rehab.

As his former Press Secretary she would know.

Seeing this kind of writing in The Toronto Sun gives me hope that this will all be over soon. The Fords have only stayed in office because they claim "the people support us". You've got The Sun, the most rapid pro-Ford paper out there confirming that the mayor has a problem and that he's finished politically, then where are his supporters?

Last edited:
I'd like to see City Council and the Province call Doug Ford on his bluff. He said he'll step down if there's an election called tomorrow. Council should call a meeting and vote on a motion requesting the province call an early election. I imagine all but those councillors who don't think their seat is safe will vote to end this uncertainty and have an election in 60 days. Wynne would only be conceding the city's request so she wouldn't take a hit politically. The NDP would go along with such legislation. It would surely pass. I don't think Rob would survive but Doug may because he only has to face his his Etobicoke constituents, many of who are family friends... or to whom Doug sold hash in the 80s. He'd be impotent without his brother in the Mayor's office.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back