71     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is definitely a system wide issue, much of which is due to patients clogging ER beds that require complex continuing care somewhere else. The 'offload delay' that you're talking about where you're seeing multiple crews stacking up waiting to transfer care is actually much better now than it used to be with increased nurse availability. The Toronto average is about 40 minutes from a crew entering the ER to being available to take another call, which is actually a pretty good number.

With all due respect, and I do value and respect your contributions, 40 minutes is not a good number considering that your function is to stabilize and deliver the patient to the hospital not to continue to treat and monitor them for 30 minutes after arrival. Your workplace has wheels because it is primarily a delivery system not an extension of a hospital.

The more Ford tries to shut out the Star, the more they hound him. Rob Ford misses deadline on releasing itinerary
So much for transparency. :rolleyes:

Unlike previous Toronto mayors and the current mayors of many U.S. cities, Ford does not release a basic daily schedule, leaving the media and city residents in the dark about public appearances.

Early in his term, reporters requested his complete itineraries, which list both his appearances and closed-door meetings, under access-to-information law. Ford’s office provided the documents within the legal limit of 30 days.

The Star and Globe and Mail later revealed which businesspeople and politicians Ford had met with.

His staff then began removing the names of his meeting partners from the itineraries and listing them in a separate document.
Ford criticized government secrecy on the campaign trail. In a letter to councillors a week after he took office, he wrote, “Transparency and accountability in governance is extremely important to me personally and is a major priority of our government.â€

In a Friday CBC interview, he brushed aside a question on his decision not to release a schedule.

“With all due respect to the media, I worry about the taxpayers. The taxpayers know where I am. The taxpayers — I go to people’s houses, just like I did yesterday,†he said.

He added: “People know where I am. People call me. I return all their calls. . . . I’m very accessible, very transparent.â€

I'm a taxpayer (how I hate that term). I don't know where he is. He hasn't returned my emails (apart from an autobot response). Who are these mysterious taxpayers who tell him he's doing a great job, hear from him and know where he is? I haven't met any.

With all due respect, and I do value and respect your contributions, 40 minutes is not a good number considering that your function is to stabilize and deliver the patient to the hospital not to continue to treat and monitor them for 30 minutes after arrival. Your workplace has wheels because it is primarily a delivery system not an extension of a hospital.

Sorry that's my fault let me clarify that number. That 40 minutes is an average and includes:
Triage/Registration - So we walk in, give report to the triage nurse, they'll decide where they want the patient, and then a chart is made. This normally takes about 15-25 minutes from beginning to end. If the patient is unstable/dead or dying, most of the time we can get in immediately.
Transferring Care - About 5-10 minutes, whether it be sending them to the waiting room, or taking them to a bed, hopefully the bed is made and hopefully there's a nurse around to give report too. This is where the offload delay comes in, if there's no appropriate bed available or they can't sit in the waiting room then we wait.
Paperwork - The system is computerized so once the triage nurse pushes the 'transfer of care' button our clock starts and we generally have 20 minutes for paperwork/shoving food down our throat before dispatch starts hounding us. Some nurses hit the button right after triage, some will give us time to actually transfer the patient.
All that together makes up that 40ish minutes i was talking about, it's the time until we are available to take another call.

That's generally a good/average day. Some hospitals are great and really try to move us along, others not so much. The system needs work for sure but IMO it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be, medics used to spend an entire 12 hour shift with a single patient rotting away on there bed.

Last edited:
As if there weren't enough to dislike about Ford... he's a Tebow fan! :eek:

Globe and Mail: Mayor Ford on a leaner Toronto: 7,000 city job cuts 'give or take'

Q: You have said the city gained about 7,000 workers since amalgamation. To become leaner still are we going to have to lose those workers?

A: We should be coming down at least to where we were at amalgamation.

Q: So you are looking at losing 7,000 jobs?

A: Give or take.

Q. Your advisor Gordon Chong has said that you’ll only get 10 per cent or maybe 30 per cent private funding for the Sheppard subway. How disappointed are you?

A. I’m not disappointed at all. I’m very confident we can get a shovel in the ground this year and at the latest next year. You look at the federal government, they’ve come to the table already with $333-million, and the province has committed funding, what’s left in Eglinton and probably more. So we’ll have to go talk to the Premier again about it. The private sector’s all over it. There’s people in our office every week about this.

Q. You get home much for dinner?

A. Oh, no, no, no. Tim Hortons and McDonald’s have become like best friends.

Q. Any Super Bowl predictions?

A. I think Green Bay is in trouble. I don’t know what it is … I like Denver. I like Tebow.

He played a tough game against New England. I love that guy as a quarterback. Everyone hates him, but I love him.

Last edited:
"Q. You get home much for dinner?"

"A. Oh, no, no, no. Tim Hortons and McDonald’s have become like best friends." (Rube Fraud)

You are what you eat.

Hiding something? Globe and Mail: Mayor’s office destroys records of business card purchase

Mayor Rob Ford’s office destroyed documents pertaining to the specially embossed business cards procured for the mayor and his staff from his family-owned company Deco Labels and Tags, according to a document obtained by The Globe and Mail.

In late March, Deco sent him an invoice for 20,600 business cards produced at a cost of $1,579.15. After the invoice became public in October, the mayor’s office produced documents indicating that his office had sought two other quotes before selecting Deco as the low-cost supplier. The two companies quoted the mayor’s office rates much higher than Deco’s, the documents said, but the names of the competing firms had been redacted. (Mr. Ford has since reimbursed the city $4,000 to cover the cost of the cards and other office expenses.)

When a subsequent access to information request was made, a letter from the city clerk’s office said that the mayor’s office had destroyed documents relating to the competitive quotes after deeming them “transitory.†According to Toronto’s Municipal Code, transitory records are considered insignificant or unrelated to city business. The letter from the clerk’s office cites a policy that says the city does not require competitive bids for purchases under $3,000.

Wow.. he adds corruption to his list now.. When will this buffoon be forced out of City hall before he does too much permanent damage to the city?

I have a wood fireplace, and will be getting some coal to see how it heats. Thought about sending a couple of chunks of coal to the Mayor and my Councillor (who supports him), but don't want to end up being a supplier of heat for him. So will be keeping the coal for myself.

xmas-stocking-coal.jpg

You all may remember my infamous 2010 tagline, "Have you voted for a Ford...lately." Well I did vote for him for a joke but here's another little rhyme I just made up on my twitter feed that suits the image above:

"'twas the nite before Christmaseve and all through the dark, not a dollar is rejected not even a credit card. The bankers are hang'n smok'n with glee...
...in the hopes that our dear leader Rob Ford will Flee."

edit: dear leader Rob Ford=Scrooge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back