1K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.1K     12 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 558     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overall, the lanes have made cycling safer and more convenient with minimal impact to vehicle traffic. Removing them benefits no one and is a waste of money.

You say this as if you think it makes a difference to somebody whose main concern is undoing anything and everything done by Miller :p.

As I only ride my bike, and never take a car anywhere, I have noticed that many roads are poorly used by cars. Therefore, these roads should be taken over from cars and redistributed to bikes and pedestrians. After all, my anecdotal evidence is infalliable, unbiased and not motivated by base thoughts of revenge.

My initial reaction was to chuckle at this message assuming it to be sarcasm. Apparently I am alone.

Either way it doesnt bother me but if indeed they are pocketing the fees, i say scrap it .:eek:

Ford targets bag tax

Mayor Rob Ford says he hopes to scrap the bag tax by the end of the year.

Ford noted that he never supported the five-cent a bag charge imposed by retailers.

“I think we’re going to deal with that but again there was more important things to do,” he said. “Obviously, contracting out garbage and everything we’ve done in the first six months, I think, and again I can’t say for sure, I think we’ll get around to it this year.

“I’ll try, I can’t guarantee it, but we’ll try to get rid of that five-cent bag tax.”

Although it brings in no revenue to the city, deciding to toss out the five-cent fee — brought in by former mayor David Miller’s city council — wasn’t a slam-dunk decision for the fiscally-conservative mayor.

When Ford took office last December, he said he could see the merits of the charge but questioned where the money was going.

“In the grand scheme of things, is it better for the environment? Yes. Are people using less plastic bags? Yes,” he told the Sun at the time. “But ... if we’re going to use that five cents, let’s put it towards some sort of environmental program or let’s just scrap (it).”

Under the existing rules, retailers can pocket the fee although some have dedicated portions towards environmental initiatives.

By January, Ford said he’d received enough feedback from the public that scrapping the fee made sense.

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/05/23/ford-targets-bag-tax

Last edited:
I'm more upset about what happened last year in regards to the QuAIA. Miller's government (!!!) told them they couldn't participate or forfeit funding, Pride said ok, city gave funding, and Pride let them participate anyway!

That kind of backstabbing from Pride's organizers is incredibly short sighted. I'm not surprised Ford is out to get them.

Yikes..“Rob is Caught Between a Rock and a Hard Place,â€

Pride funding controversy heats up

The controversy over municipal funding for Pride Toronto will snare the attention of civic leaders at City Hall on Tuesday.

More...http://www.torontosun.com/2011/05/23/pride-funding-controversy-heats-up

Either way it doesnt bother me but if indeed they are pocketing the fees, i say scrap it .:eek:

Ford targets bag tax

Mayor Rob Ford says he hopes to scrap the bag tax by the end of the year.

Ford noted that he never supported the five-cent a bag charge imposed by retailers.

“I think we’re going to deal with that but again there was more important things to do,†he said. “Obviously, contracting out garbage and everything we’ve done in the first six months, I think, and again I can’t say for sure, I think we’ll get around to it this year.

“I’ll try, I can’t guarantee it, but we’ll try to get rid of that five-cent bag tax.â€

Although it brings in no revenue to the city, deciding to toss out the five-cent fee — brought in by former mayor David Miller’s city council — wasn’t a slam-dunk decision for the fiscally-conservative mayor.

When Ford took office last December, he said he could see the merits of the charge but questioned where the money was going.

“In the grand scheme of things, is it better for the environment? Yes. Are people using less plastic bags? Yes,†he told the Sun at the time. “But ... if we’re going to use that five cents, let’s put it towards some sort of environmental program or let’s just scrap (it).â€

Under the existing rules, retailers can pocket the fee although some have dedicated portions towards environmental initiatives.

By January, Ford said he’d received enough feedback from the public that scrapping the fee made sense.

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/05/23/ford-targets-bag-tax

I doubt the retailers would get rid of the fee now anyways,

in response to tkip and the Vaughan Road bike lane: Seriously? I live there. There is a bike going each way every single time I drive up to Nonna's. Enough to be annoying to me (a motorist!) particularly above Kenwood and near Atlas bustops. The bikes take the job left from Bathurst on lower Vaughan and then scoot up to Oakwood. All the time. When do you go out, 12 am? ;)

Exactly, the bag fee is standard all over Ontario now. Ford's probably going to throw a fit when retailers keep charging the fee after Council stops requiring it.

Bigger ones wouldn't. You see bag charges at major stores across the country. It's not like the small stores are charging it anyway.

I really can't imagine a dumber move than removing the charge. No one could justify such an idiotic move.

in response to tkip and the Vaughan Road bike lane: Seriously? I live there. There is a bike going each way every single time I drive up to Nonna's. Enough to be annoying to me (a motorist!) particularly above Kenwood and near Atlas bustops. The bikes take the job left from Bathurst on lower Vaughan and then scoot up to Oakwood. All the time. When do you go out, 12 am? ;)

I've been on that road on many occasions riding the bus. I actually haven't seen one person on a bike. Where are these hordes you seem to be hinting at? I'm there mid day/night. I've seen no on a bike.

Exactly, the bag fee is standard all over Ontario now.

I guess Aurora must have separated from Ontario, Walmart bags and double bags everything in plastic with no Fees in sight.

I guess Aurora must have separated from Ontario, Walmart bags and double bags everything in plastic with no Fees in sight.

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.

All the major grocery chains in the GTA charge the 5 cent fee. Whether you're in Toronto or Mississauga or Whitby or Newmarket.

I think the bag tax has been a complete success. People that were using plastic grocery bags in their hundreds are now using reusable bags. Perfect. Why is this a bad thing? As it is, the tax is small enough to not be a major financial burden, but still seems to be annoying enough that most people consider switching to reusable bags. Maybe re-directing where the tax goes would be wise, but I don't think scrapping the tax is the answer.

It's certainly better than the alternative. For instance, in NYC, they'll double bag whatever you have - even if it's only a single bottle of shampoo. What a disgusting waste.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back