1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think in a head to head election, Olivia ("I lived in subsidize housing while on council with my husband") Chow will lose to Ford. If the best people this city can put forward are Chow and Ford, we are in trouble.

As always, take polling numbers with a grain of salt. But they do show that Chow would easily defeat Ford. It will be even easier then this video of Ford smoking crack comes out.

"In a one-on-one match-up between NDP MP Olivia Chow and the mayor, Chow wins with more than half the vote, 56 per cent, to about a third for the mayor (36 per cent), according to a poll released Sunday by Forum Research Inc."

So you believe that the poll is more than 20 points off?

Yes, I think that poll is off. Plus if they just did the poll during the latest scandal, the numbers are skewed.

Well the NDP had heavily politicized City of Toronto politics before the mega city. As well as the heavily politicized unions. The Fords used the entire "lefties" thing as a campaign focus, but I wouldn't attribute partisan politics in City Hall to them.

I think partisan politics have no place in municipal government. The whole "left wing" "right wing" thing is ridiculous at the municipal level.

Fair points. But the Ford's haven't been helpful at all. Councillors should be leaving party politics at the door when their on chamber.

Olivia ("I lived in subsidize housing while on council with my husband") Chow

Welp, there goes any credibility I thought you might have. Why people won't give this false accusation a rest, I have no idea. I guess the idea of it is just too precious to let go, so you hold onto it in hopes that repeating it makes it true?

No I think it makes sense. How much did Ornge cost? Ehealth? The gas plants? The "Green Energy" debacle?

Not to mention the G20 scandal and HST.

For me, the G20 Scandal is the worst of the bunch. Way worse than anything Rob Ford has done.

And I won't even start on the disaster known as Stephen Harper.

Some people are holding Rob Ford to much higher scrutiny than higher levels of gov't (that have much more power over our lives, and have serious scandals).

People are very upset about the various scandals you mentioned - the difference is that none of these scandals are any secret, and the party based nature of Federal/Provincial politics leads to a certain expectation that corruption will arise at some point, regardless of political leaning (though that's obviously a factor for many in deciding whom to criticize). All of these issues can be viewed as systemic failures, with an entire party taking the blame (which doesn't neccessarily allow one to draw particular personal conclusions about the politicians and individuals involved).

Municipal politics are not party based; decisions and legislation can't simply be pushed through due to a majority. The need for cooperation, consensus building, transparency, etc. are far beyond that expected in Federal/Provincial politics. Since the Mayor is the highest level leader at the local level, people have a more vested interest in his/her behaviour and personality.

Ford is a disaster on every level; he's not just a failure in terms of policy and execution, but his own personal code of ethics is terribly lacking. He simply has no respect for the office or others on council; it's all about him. Unlike the provincial Liberals or federal Conservatives, he's turned his jurisdiction into a laughing stock due to his antics. Compare him to previous Mayors and he's on another level entirely.

The scrutiny is the product of his position and behaviour.

Last edited:
all you Fraud haters are going to be embarrassed.

the truth will come out that Fraud and co. were recruited by the RCMP and CSIS 30 years ago for their sting of Somali drug lords.

yes, there's a video of him smoking crack but it was all in the duties of his role to catch these drug lords.

every foolish and incompetent thing that's happen all these years was all scripted to make RF seem like a neanderthal, when in reality he's a debonaire sophisticated ivy league trained under cover operative with a muscular physique under the fat suit.

psyche ... LOL

Last edited:
Been doing some digging regarding the Crackstarter on Twitter. John Cook issued a tweet shortly after it hit $200K with the message "Well what do you know?" A Star reporter replied to it with "@johnjcook Hello John, this is Andrew from the Toronto Star. Could I talk to you really quickly about Crackstarter, my #: 416-869-4350" https://twitter.com/johnjcook/status/339107958048825346

Doing some more digging on the subject (kind of necessary since Twitter fails so badly at handling replies), I was reminded that Cook was going to be on Q on CBC Radio tomorrow. I don't know if he is going to be in Toronto for the interview, or if he will be at one of their satellite studios. If it is the former, he may be trying to keep a low profile while in the city in order to find the guy without attracting a lot of attention.

I've also seen that CP24 has said that Cook has been unreachable today.

Retire. Leave this city alone.

I'd think he'd make for an excellent Don Cherry-like commentator on football. It'll be his dream- pigskins all day and when work is done, he can go coach his own team (not TCDSB-related).

The problem is finding which news network would be willing to take him in. The Sun would, but who knows how long they'll last?

Metroman, I've been told that a copy of the video is now in NYC. Don't know in the hands of whom. And it seems someone eluded to this in the Gawker comments section yesterday.

I'd think he'd make for an excellent Don Cherry-like commentator on football. It'll be his dream- pigskins all day and when work is done, he can go coach his own team (not TCDSB-related).

The problem is finding which news network would be willing to take him in. The Sun would, but who knows how long they'll last?

In the US, disgraced former celebrities can always appear on 'Dancing with the Stars' or 'Celebrity Apprentice'. He doesn't really have these options here.

I'm guessing he'll just retire to Deco labels having the same distracting, entitled "show up and embarrass yourself" role that Lindsay and GOB have on the Bluth Company Board in Arrested Development.

I think in a head to head election, Olivia ("I lived in subsidize housing while on council with my husband") Chow will lose to Ford. If the best people this city can put forward are Chow and Ford, we are in trouble.
They never lived in subsidized housing. They lived in market unit in a mixed building. But you probably knew that already.

Welp, there goes any credibility I thought you might have. Why people won't give this false accusation a rest, I have no idea. I guess the idea of it is just too precious to let go, so you hold onto it in hopes that repeating it makes it true?
And even if it were true, if that's the best that people can come up with to criticize Chow, she'll win in a landslide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back