189     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 325     0 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 846     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
But how would the police actually do so? Trail the Gawker reporter from the moment he enters Canada (assuming the transaction takes place in Canada) and forcibly take it from him? How would they prevent the reporter from uploading the video to a cloud server or whatever the moment he gets the phone? And if the police somehow got the phone, the reporter would tell the world about it. On what grounds could the police refuse to release it to the public? If it is evidence in a criminal case, it would eventually be viewed in court.

Toronto Police don't need to trail the Gawker reporter. They almost certainly know the identity of the seller and I would not be surprised if they have rounded up this person already on trumped up charges.

Anyway, I've already read elsewhere that there is nothing illegal about the video or its sale. I don't think the police are much of a threat to this whole endeavour.

Your'e right there is nothing illegal about the video but for some reason the notion that it is illegal is being pushed by Bill Blair and certain media outlets. I could imagine a scenario where the seller is arrested on trumped up charges and the phone confiscated only to have charges dropped and the phone returned to the seller minus the video!

I think it's much more likely that Ford's people made the seller a better offer and now have the video. Best we can hope for is that there are copies and they eventually surface.

If they could be sure that only one copy of the video existed I am sure that Ford's people would pay almost anything for it but even they must realize that many copies must be in existence for safe keeping and that the seller would happily sell copies to Gawker or other outlets. The only way that the Fords can be certain that the video remains buried is if police get involved.

What I can't figure out is: what were Gawker and the Star thinking? Why didn't they snap up the video the first chance they got? I know it would have been an expensive and ethically messy purchase, but AT LEAST THEY WOULD HAVE IT NOW. They would have made back the money in ad revenues from all the pageviews.

I agree that whoever made the decision at the STAR not to buy the video is an idiot. Had they acquired the video and released it to the world I am absolutely certain that there would be no debate over the ethics of buying the video. Had the STAR purchased the video they would have owned the exclusive rights and probably could have made money off the video! I just don't understand their decision. The STAR has spent $100,000's on push-polls in an effort to elect Olivia Chow and yet they won't spend this kind of money to sink Ford?

I'm gonna call it right now - Gawker will top up the amount that's needed to hit $200K minutes before the deadline hits in order to at least have a reasonably good chance of getting the tape out - they can stall for as long as is necessary until the drug dealer comes out of hiding. They have too much riding on it now to let $20K or $30K be the deciding factor between getting their brand tarnished, and being the heroes that got the video out into the open. Worst case scenario is that they take the $200K to a charity and are forever labelled Good Guy Gawker.

Crackstarter is really erratic (ha!) right now. You'll go an hour without a single donation and then all of a sudden there's a flow of smaller donations. It's definitely not dead: in the last 10 minutes people have donated $100 and $150 along with smaller donations. I'm hoping it get within $30K tonight. Maybe a close goal will convince the seller to come out and announce that he still wants it. I mean, who leaves $200K on the table? There's got to be a good explanation for this. Either some pretty powerful people have intimidated him into fearing for his life or a bigger or more immediate offer came through.

I was thinking that Photostream on iOS automatically copies camera files and it can be recreated by simply logging into another phone. Just realized that that doesn't work for video, only photos. But there's iCloud backup. If this guy had that turned on, all he'd need would be his Apple ID and a new iPhone and he'd have the video again.

Crackstarter is really erratic (ha!) right now. You'll go an hour without a single donation and then all of a sudden there's a flow of smaller donations. It's definitely not dead: in the last 10 minutes people have donated $100 and $150 along with smaller donations. I'm hoping it get within $30K tonight. Maybe a close goal will convince the seller to come out and announce that he still wants it. I mean, who leaves $200K on the table? There's got to be a good explanation for this. Either some pretty powerful people have intimidated him into fearing for his life or a bigger or more immediate offer came through.

I was thinking that Photostream on iOS automatically copies camera files and it can be recreated by simply logging into another phone. Just realized that that doesn't work for video, only photos. But there's iCloud backup. If this guy had that turned on, all he'd need would be his Apple ID and a new iPhone and he'd have the video again.

He'd have to be really stupid not to have a copy on the internet somewhere for whatever contingencies arise.

My source said he saw Rob Ford tonight. "He was beaming".

I can't help but admit to my deflated expectations that Rob Ford has destroyed the video. Crap. :mad:

shit ... that sucks but would explain the complete change in his demeanour from last week.

I can't help but admit to my deflated expectations that Rob Ford has destroyed the video. Crap. :mad:

on another note, according to some comments on indiegogo, people have started to link the fundraising to their FB page

Rob may have the phone (sorry dude who paid $10000), but I'm sure there is more than one copy of the video. I can't imagine that the seller would put all his eggs in one basket or that he'd be honest enough to only have one copy -- he's got a back-up plan. If Rob doesn't have the phone, he knows the guy has been arrested or is "unavailable" .... now, how would he know things like that????

Welp, if Rob's beaming, that means he's smug and feeling invincible, so he'll probably carry on smoking crack and with any luck, someone else will get a video of it. We all now know that the going rate is $200K - a pretty good incentive.

The police already know the area and the gang that was involved. the police said they were investigating. They would have advised the drug dealers you're involved in a crime, provide us with the video, if you don't have the video we can't do anything to you, as no crime took place. However, if they say they don't have the video & turn around and sell it, they have obstructed justice as well as the original crime. So is $200,000 worth it. And I don't like saying this but they also may have mentioned that immigration could get involved with them and their families.

Welp, if Rob's beaming, that means he's smug and feeling invincible, so he'll probably carry on smoking crack and with any luck, someone else will get a video of it. We all now know that the going rate is $200K - a pretty good incentive.

Or someone mistook the irrepressible goofy look of an embarrassed, guilty child for beaming.

There are murmurs on twitter that this weekend the Globe will be releasing a "long-gestating" and potentially scathing story on the Ford family's past drug ties.

There are murmurs on twitter that this weekend the Globe will be releasing a "long-gestating" and potentially scathing story on the Ford family's past drug ties.

Excellent news gentlemen. This is a most welcome development. Surely this will be the downfall of Rob Ford! He will withstand our international liberal conspiracy no longer!

Last edited:
Surely this will be the downfall of Rob Ford!

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that I would have bought myself a $200,000 iPhone last week....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back