159     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 307     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
new Doug Ford campaign video, Have you seen the people's mayor?

[video=youtube;ivKJ0-ToeuQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ivKJ0-ToeuQ[/video]

Strangely they left out the footage of Doug yelling and threatening the public gallery in council chambers the day Robby knocked over Pam McConnell.

new Doug Ford campaign video, Have you seen the people's mayor?

[video=youtube;ivKJ0-ToeuQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ivKJ0-ToeuQ[/video]

Strangely they left out the footage of Doug yelling and threatening the public gallery in council chambers the day Robby knocked over Pam McConnell.

Must have been hard to find footage of him not frothing at the mouth shouting.

I see the Sun has officially endorsed Tory. Poor Warmington.

I thought it was a pretty good editorial, although the first half was all about how they aren't supporting the Fords and only after that do they talk up Tory. Great headline though. And critical because it's one of the few media publications that FN gives attention to.

Well I've just been reminded that advance voting ends TODAY so I'm off to do my civic duty. And like so many have discussed at length in this thread, still entirely undecided who to vote for. Tory if strategic although I do not like his dithering on the Island Airport expansion especially as he has endorsed several pro-Jets council candidates. Olivia if I vote for who I think would make the best mayor, day in day out, poor campaign notwithstanding. And Ari if I follow my natural tendency towards creative disruption and fresh thinking. *Goes for long walk in the snow.*

And yet John Tory chose to join the white-only Rosedale Golf Club. Sure, he later fought to change the rules and let a white Jew in ... but really ... who'd join a white-only club in the first place?

John Tory might not particularly believe in the racism that the white elite in Toronto have been practising since the 1800s - but he certainly grew up with it, and works within it for some change, rather than denouncing it and walking away from it.

How has shouting from outside worked in Toronto? I my opinion not very.
Tory has it right working from the inside out. There is fulcrum at this specific point in Toronto history where a seachange will happen given the demographics of the City. This fulcrum was not there twenty or even ten years ago, it made no difference how progressive you were, change was going to come by the thimbleful. That is not the case today where upwards of 80% will not accept the status quo. And Tory will either be at the forefront or be trampled.

Maybe Tory gave support because he had made that deal with Mama Ford a few years earlier. Maybe because he's a man who above all knows the value of connections and a good network he spreads the money around to many political hopefuls. Maybe because he's a bit of a panderer he supported the Fords because he saw they had popular appeal. Many people who should have known better lined up behind Rob Ford in his first couple years when his base in the community was strong. The Rob Ford story is in some way about the failure of all the political, business and social leadership to call Ford on his abuses. (And it still is - much of the disappointment with Chow and Tory is with their hesitation to confront either Ford.) John Tory doesn't appear to have great promise as a Mayor, but he's far from the failure of the system that was Rob Ford. Maybe instead of starting in with the 'Shame' or scornful repudiations of the population because not everyone shares their perspective, progressives might want to look at why they can't come up with a candidate who stands stronger, delivers more coherent messaging and has greater appeal to the broad center than did Olivia Chow.

My bolding. 110% agree. Not just leadership but all of us, should have grabbed pitchforks and run Rob out of town.

Last edited:
instead of starting in with the 'Shame' or scornful repudiations of the population because not everyone shares their perspective, progressives might want to look at why they can't come up with a candidate who stands stronger, delivers more coherent messaging and has greater appeal to the broad center than did Olivia Chow.[/QUOTE]

Lets ponder for a moment what creates a left or right minded politician. Left. Often people are drawn to leftism as a reaction to unjustice witnessed, found to be intorerable, and wanting remedied. Right. Often people a drawn to the right because they see large govt. chiseling away at their wealth by taxing for social programs. So.... its a huge assumption (but where smoke usually fire) those on the left are often products of poverty and those on the right are often products of wealth. Who best to fire up the expensive machine it takes to run a campaign? Also who is drawn to pure power? I think of the Bushes of U.S. tons of money was not enough to satisfy them. Power was the only drug they couldn't buy outright. (Seem familiar?)

If perchance the left produces a viable candidate with enough rich friends to help them get into a political arena, he may be ridiculed for having humble aspirations, instead of a background in big businesses he might have been oh say a school teacher ( or rafting guide?)

It does not surprise me that our two lefty candidates were disadvantaged as youth, that both worked with poor and did not have all the advantages of a Ford or Tory household. The bona fides of the left rarely incubate in a scenario that has the impetus to get them elected. The fact that a few get any attention at all is what inspires me.

um... are we going to retire this thread?

the Mayor John Tory's Toronto thread hasn't seen any activity for about 5 weeks... maybe it's time?

Rob will still be mayor after election day. It's not over until his chain of office goes to John Tory (or whatever's supposed to happen in Nov). Until then, it would be nice to keep this thread open in my opinion.

Tory has it right working from the inside out.
100 years ago perhaps. Who in the 1990s would join a white-only social club in the first place?

It speaks tons about character. As does supporting the likes of Rob Ford and Randy Hillier. You just walk away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back