427     7 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 340     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 436     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
CityTV News just aired a promo advertising an "exclusive" behind-the-scenes with Karla Ford on her husband's campaign that will be aired tomorrow night.

Will we see scenes of her attending a synagogue to highlight her Jewish heritage, or will there be a sudden revelation at tonight's debate that she's actually Latina?

"My wife is Jewish". I wonder if they will ask her to confirm that?

Or show a slideshow of shopping photos?
http://imgur.com/a/PXU7h?gallery

Last edited:
That's why I have trouble with the word "distant." The lungs and liver aren't far apart, but they are different kinds of tissue. So, the cancer cells are swimming around in the body as what most of us would call a Stage 4 cancer. But if a second tumor develops near the primary tumor in the same kind of tissue, is it Stage 4 or a "regional" spread? A few sources I've looked at, though not many, talk about regional spread in earlier stage cancer.

In any event, don't mind me. I'm not trying to make a point. I'm just obsessing on a detail and thinking out loud. I drive my wife nuts when I do this. So, apologies and thanks for you patience.

A "distant" metastasis is any tumour mass that is distinct from the "primary" tumour (as Rob's second lesion is). The type of tissue involved need not be different; for example, someone with a lung mass who is found to have a tumour in the other lung has Stage IV lung cancer. Abdominal liposarcomas like Rob's commonly do not spread to other organs, but involve nearby tissues as it has in this case. The issue is that the presence of secondary "macroscopic" disease implies the presence of metastatic "microscopic" disease. Hence the reason why chemo is (generally) the only first-line potentially curative treatment for solid Stage IV tumours.

That's what I meant. I'd say it's very strong. That's one stubborn man.

He wasn't strong enough to lose weight, or stay clean.

On the other hand, he's likely taken enough drugs and alcohol in his lifetime to kill a horse. So, maybe he can tolerate chemotherapy.

Let me add this.

View attachment 35674

Hmm, though surely some don't have strong will to live.

I remember asking healthy looking lady why she was threatening to kill herself. She told me if just one person had smiled at her that day that she wouldn't have considered it. You never know what's on the minds of people you pass on the street.

Last edited:
A "distant" metastasis is any tumour mass that is distinct from the "primary" tumour (as Rob's second lesion is). The type of tissue involved need not be different; for example, someone with a lung mass who is found to have a tumour in the other lung has Stage IV lung cancer. Abdominal liposarcomas like Rob's commonly do not spread to other organs, but involve nearby tissues as it has in this case. The issue is that the presence of secondary "macroscopic" disease implies the presence of metastatic "microscopic" disease. Hence the reason why chemo is (generally) the only first-line potentially curative treatment for solid Stage IV tumours.
That's what I was trying to say, except you made it sound so professional. Must be why you're the doctor and I'm not. :) Thanks JGHali.

Last edited:
when do we get to bring up the "White Power" clubs Kathy and her boyfriends belonged to? Y'know if Doug's already gonna go there...

Nah, clearly being a member of a country club is WAAAAY worse! I mean it must be a terrible crime for Douglas to be milking it so. Or is he just dense? ;)

Last edited:

Thank you. I have another question — far less fussy — if you have moment. Rob has an abdominal primary tumor. Does that mean his prognosis is worse than if the tumor was in one of his limbs? I ask because because the 50% five-year survival number gets tossed around from time to time. But that's an average. It seems to me that a patient with a pleomorphic liposarcoma in a limb has a better chance because the doctors can take out more surrounding tissue (i.e. not damage major organs). There's less room to manouvre in the abdomen. In general terms, does that mean there's a greater chance that surgery won't remove all the cancer cells?

Thank you. I have another question — far less fussy — if you have moment. Rob has an abdominal primary tumor. Does that mean his prognosis is worse than if the tumor was in one of his limbs? I ask because because the 50% five-year survival number gets tossed around from time to time. But that's an average. It seems to me that a patient with a pleomorphic liposarcoma in a limb has a better chance because the doctors can take out more surrounding tissue (i.e. not damage major organs). There's less room to manouvre in the abdomen. In general terms, does that mean there's a greater chance that surgery won't remove all the cancer cells?

The only way to beat Stage IV cancer is to die of something else before it gets you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back