360     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 459     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to squint - but you can kinda make out some details from the image Katie Simpson tweeted:

KatieSimpson24: Two Ford stories on the front page of @TorontoStar tomorrow. Poll support growing, and FOI on football coaching docs http://t.co/j80zT12tdb

After zooming in on the image, I can make out the first few paragraphs:

"Mayor Rob Ford made his high school football players "roll in goose scat", threatened to beat up a teacher, showed up intoxicated to the final practice before the Metro Bowl, ignored requests to complete criminal background checks, stuck the school with a $5000 tab for helmets he promised to pay for, and held an improper summer practice at which a player broke his collarbone, according to internal documents from the Catholic school board.

The documents, obtained by the Star on Wednesday after a 15-month freedom of information battle, show that the board's problems with Ford went far beyond the comments he made in a Sun News interview last February, which the board had identified as the sole reason for his dismissal three months later."

Last edited:
I can make out some of it, but not all. He threatened to beat up a teacher, ignored requests to complete criminal background checks, and left the school with a $50 000 tab for helmets that he promised to pay for. He showed up intoxicated to the last practice before the metro bowl. It says something about him making the players roll in "goose" something but I can't really make it out.

View attachment 32039

A lot of you guys forget that the campaign is really about to kick into high gear. The election is still 2 months away. So, numbers are pretty useless right now. Anything can happen.

My best effort on interpreting the text:

School documents paint Ford as football coach acting way out of bounds

Newly released records from Catholic school board allege he ‘made players roll in goose scat’

Daniel Dale
and Jennifer Pagliaro
City Hall Bureau

Mayor Rob Ford made his high school football players “roll in goose scat”, threatened to beat up a teacher, showed up intoxicated to the final practice before the Metro Bowl, ignored requests to complete criminal background checks, stuck the school with a $5,000 tab for helmets he promised to pay for, and held an improper summer practice at which a player broke his collarbone, according to internal documents from the Catholic school board.

The documents, obtained by the Star on Wednesday after a 15-month freedom of information battle, show that the board’s problems with Ford went far beyond the comments he made in a Sun News interview last February, which the board had identified as the sole reason for his dismissal three months later.

The mayor did not respond to questions posed to him at city hall. His campaign manager, Councillor Doug Ford, did not respond to a request to respond to the board’s spokesperson’s allegation - in one of the documents - that he himself directed a “racial slur” and a threat towards Don Bosco Catholic Secondary School principal Ugo Rossi shortly before the mayor’s termination.

What I find surprising is that so many people were expecting Tory to be this great leader who saves Toronto from Ford. Did everyone just forget about Tory's time as the Conservative leader and how badly he bungled things? So now all of a sudden you expect a guy who has a history of bad judgement and failure, to be a great leader? It's no surprise to me at all, that Tory is under-performing and not saying much of anything. NEWSFLASH, John Tory is not a leader, he is a guy who takes opinion polis before he forms an opinion on anything. His fear of failure prevents him from taking even the smallest risk or coming out with new ideas. Don't expect any great ideas from Tory because it just ain''t gonna happen. I also see way too many similarities between Ford and Tory, two rich boys who were given everything on a platter and achieved very little by their own doing.

Actually, maybe the thing with Tory is that he wasn't cut out to be a provincial leader because his true strong spot was as a potential *municipal* leader--as his 2003 campaign vs Miller proved.

And let's remember that you can blame in large part said 2003 municipal campaign on his tenure as provincial PC leader: with a party in tatters after Ernie Eves' defeat, as a fresh mainstream face with promise and without Mike Harris's baggage, Tory wound up practically parachuted into the leadership on the back of his municipal near-victory (and how reluctantly, I don't know)

Man. That sucks. The only possible consolation is that Forum also published a poll that put Rob at 23% a while back. The 31% is roughly within the margin of error for his 27%, which has been pretty cosistent. Now, if we get another poll with this result, we're in big trouble.

Well maybe Olivia Chow will start, uh, trying now, FFS.

My head hurts. This guy could be right. Yet he too hopes he's wrong. I sure do.

Fordland is a place where you can't win with logic, because logic doesn't work there. Think Alice in Wonderland, but harsher. Think crack, not grass. Think, and feel frustrated.

Soks is the anti-Ford, in that he has ideas, policy, and granular fiddly things. Even if you gloss over the details with a yawn, there's some kind of refreshing appeal for a city hall leader who knows and cares about that kind of stuff.

But that appeal is only a tidbit or a garnish. For the main course, we want somebody with character. You can't get down and feel tingly about a guy who brings a calculator to a knife fight. Can we vote Soks for Deputy Mayor?

I agree that the main contender has to get down there and get visceral. You can't wrestle in the mud with Ford, for the same reasons you wouldn't mud-wrestle with a pig.

The main contender needs to hit voters in the guts with the message that Ford More Years is toxic, as in radioactively bad for you *and* your bowels. Seriously double-plus-ungood.

No more pranks on city hall. He doesn't have $60 to give you for gas money. Late night TV may laugh at Ford, but they think Torontonians are milquetoast with weaksauce for tolerating him. Low self-esteem is in Toronto's DNA, but this amounts to cutting yourself with a rusty blade.

The main contender needs a main message, maybe something like:

Rob Ford pushes your hate buttons. The things you think you hate. The people you think you hate.

As your mayor, what he does hurts you where you live. Don't shit where you sleep.
Don't do it again. Don't vote Ford. Vote for somebody who won't wreck your home.

Up to this point, the reason Tory and Chow haven't taken the gloves off is that they weren't afraid of losing to Ford, they were afraid of losing to each other. Hopefully these recent developments have shaken them up a bit, although I have to say, every time they opt out of really going after Ford hard, I feel a little comforted that that must mean they have reason to believe he's still not a real threat.

At least, I hope that's that case, and that they're both not just idiots.

"A number of online observers have asked us about the background of Dan Rath, given his op-ed in the Toronto Star today about events in the campaign." http://www.soknacki2014.com/statement_regarding_former_staff

Another thing dug up about Dan Rath: he was in with a group contemplating a John Nunziata mayoral run in 2000. (Which didn't happen; I don't know if Rath was involved with Nunziata's 2003 run; and we all know who Frances Nunziata is...)
http://nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=123414

My frustration level with the Ford F-up has reached critical mass. Why can the electorate of Toronto not see the shit storm that is Rob Ford, Doug Ford and wee, useless Mikey almost-Ford?

The other candidates appear to consist of milquetoast, lily livered, unmitigated asses. Do none of them have the wit or intelligence to address the rabidity of this cretinous simpleton and his merry band of miscreants?

<burying my head in the garden - la-la-la-la-la - I can't hear you>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back