1.4K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 612     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Official response and my official quips:

Statement from the Office of the Mayor

Funny the statement about not being in bed with lobbyists is not on city letterhead, yet his charity solicitations to lobbyists were. I guess the "Statement from the Office of the Mayor" makes it offishul however.

I am fully committed to transparency and the rules set out under the Members Code of Conduct regarding lobbying.

"… except when they may in any way interfere with things I want to do, like solicit lobbyists for money and guarantee sweetheart deals for friends."

My office and I make every effort to comply with these important rules.

"… well, at least the rules I didn't bother to read the four times I've been elected because my dad was an MP."

I also have a proven track record of saving the taxpayers of Toronto millions of dollars.

[insert irrelevant stump speech]

RR Donnelley approached us, as we were exploring potential savings around printing as part of the Core Service Review in 2011.

Us as in? Doug and Rob? Because the Mayor and a councillor are always the first people you need to approach when wanting to discuss printing for the city?

Their representatives claimed they could save the City of Toronto millions of dollars in printing costs.

We helped organize a meeting with the appropriate City Staff to explore their claim.

As a couple of goofs who own their own printing company, the Fords could probably (and fairly accurately) verify RR Donnelley's claims before they even got in the door. Why the need to introduce them to a cadre of city staff?

At no time did I, or anyone in my office attempt to influence the decisions of City Staff during or after the meeting with RR Donnelley

Doug's not a part of Robbie's office, last I checked. Regardless, influence isn't the same as trying to convince someone. Influence comes in all shapes and sizes, including the inherent intimidation from a position of power. Rob and Doug should have refused *any* contact with Donnelley.

this really, really resonates with that article about how ford lacks the capacity for abstract thinking. this is just like the conflict case about coaching - he kept insisting that it was fine because it was all about the kids. that it was fine because he didn't profit from it. that it was fine because look at the long list of schools that have football teams now.

the thought process is so tortured:
-i can't remember
-it's not my business even if i could remember
-it doesn't matter even if it was my business
-it's not relevant even if it does matter
-ok, yes, it IS my business, but it's private
He's not faking it, he isn't capable of understanding beyond "black or white". He doesn't see shades of grey in life, just black or white. He might have been brighter before the booze and hard drug use, but I don't think so. He strikes me a as "plodder", a guy who struggled to get through school, probably a C student at best.

Official response and my official quips:

Funny the statement about not being in bed with lobbyists is not on city letterhead, yet his charity solicitations to lobbyists were. I guess the "Statement from the Office of the Mayor" makes it offishul however.

"… except when they may in any way interfere with things I want to do, like solicit lobbyists for money and guarantee sweetheart deals for friends."

"… well, at least the rules I didn't bother to read the four times I've been elected because my dad was an MP."

[insert irrelevant stump speech]

Us as in? Doug and Rob? Because the Mayor and a councillor are always the first people you need to approach when wanting to discuss printing for the city?

As a couple of goofs who own their own printing company, the Fords could probably (and fairly accurately) verify RR Donnelley's claims before they even got in the door. Why the need to introduce them to a cadre of city staff?

Doug's not a part of Robbie's office, last I checked. Regardless, influence isn't the same as trying to convince someone. Influence comes in all shapes and sizes, including the inherent intimidation from a position of power. Rob and Doug should have refused *any* contact with Donnelley.

It's been known from the leaks that Robbie insisted on being part of at least one meeting in the talks.

Robbie's statement smacks of legal wordsmithing.
remember the first apology to daniel dale, the one given in council? i think that was mom's or doug's work

the second one, the written one, where he had to totally come clean and retract everything, that was legal wordsmithing

another solid theory is that RR Donnelly, who are a global multibillion-dollar company, called doug on the phone this morning and said, "fix this, you idiot."

An excellent point.

Moore, and the parent company RR D, will have already composed their statement, with the help of their lawyer(s) - did not seek any favour in the outcome, blah, blah.

Doug cannot sue without inviting his own defeat. Deco could not sue without losing all credibility if Doug did not testify. Prediction: he will blather and bluster that everyone is a liar except him and beg off suing because too much trouble and money to take on the "elite" Globe (actually, the Globe's libel insurers) - hoping that will be enough so that Moore does not pull its business.

Back to business. < I kid >

"Thanks @deadmau5 for stopping by City Hall this afternoon, and for the great chat!"
View attachment 30564

"In regards to the Assault at #FordFest on Friday. The victim has informed police they do not want the matter to proceed any further. ^lm"
https://twitter.com/TorontoPolice/status/493797428924272641

deadmau5 doing Coffee Run with ford... interesting. That he answered in the affirmative if he supported and was a fan of rob ford... disappointing. deadmau5 cool factor has been lost on me now.

Even the apologies are getting recycled...

ddale8 5:29pm via Twitter Web Client
Here's how Rob Ford responded to a formal complaint about his racial slurs - quoted his previous general apology: http://pic.twitter.com/okdvUpMCPb

Exactly as many predicted at the time - the vague 'apology' about 'some' unspecified events = the universal solvent.

An excellent point.

Moore, and the parent company RR D, will have already composed their statement, with the help of their lawyer(s) - did not seek any favour in the outcome, blah, blah.

Doug cannot sue without inviting his own defeat. Deco could not sue without losing all credibility if Doug did not testify. Prediction: he will blather and bluster that everyone is a liar except him and beg off suing because too much trouble and money to take on the "elite" Globe (actually, the Globe's libel insurers) - hoping that will be enough so that Moore does not pull its business.[/QUOTE

The biggest benificiary to this kerfuffel is probably going to be Metro Label...

deadmau5 doing Coffee Run with ford... interesting. That he answered in the affirmative if he supported and was a fan of rob ford... disappointing. deadmau5 cool factor has been lost on me now.

From Twitter.

"I'll say it again after another celebrity visit: unless it's Sgt. Gary Giroux, I don't care who's been visiting Rob Ford's office."

Also.

"A reminder, Rob Ford won an appeal by admitting he didn't know the true meaning of conflict of interest"

ETA

"Deadmau5 just got more play on @CTVToronto than Ford Deco story. This city is in desperate need of an enema."

Last edited:
An excellent point.

Doug cannot sue without inviting his own defeat. Deco could not sue without losing all credibility if Doug did not testify. Prediction: he will blather and bluster that everyone is a liar except him and beg off suing because too much trouble and money to take on the "elite" Globe (actually, the Globe's libel insurers) - hoping that will be enough so that Moore does not pull its business.

One can only hope that this is the beginning of the end not just of their political clout but also their business "success"

Grandma used to say that it wasn't necessary to leave a fortune to the smart ones because they will find their way and leaving a fortune to idiots was folly because they'd squander it. Grandma was always right ....

This looks like the law that Rob should be concerned about:

"The behaviour of municipal politicians is subject to certain statutory and common law principles. One such example is breach of trust under the criminal code.
Municipal politicians as well as federal and provincial office holders are subject to section 122 of the criminal code for committing fraud or breach of trust in connection with the duties of his or her elected office. A breach of trust is any act, or neglect to act contrary to the duty imposed by statute, regulation, employment, contract of official directive where the politician benefits personally, whether directly or indirectly. In other words, the politician performs official duties but in return for consideration, benefits or rewards. Such breach is punishable by up to five years in prison."

http://renelarson.com/MunicipalLaw/munpol.php

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back