70     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 702     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 611     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

The article says it's a TTC substation at Queen and Greenwood. That is quite a distance from Russell yard (I used to live @ Dundas & Greenwood). But there is a Toronto Hydro substation on Queen at the foot of Greenwood. (Perhaps located there to support the TTC yard?) The reporter may have confused the ownership of the sub-station. But there's no doubt about high voltage. And apparently, Ford spawn were getting illegally into places they oughtn't to have been, even back then.

A note on Doug Sr’s possible family history during the 1930s:

My parents grew up in North Bay during the 1930s, and the highest level of paid public education was Grade 8. Most graduates were 14 years old. To go to any high school, fees were payable. My mother, for example, made it to the end of Grade 10 before finances sent her to work. (She ended up in NYC before she found any, but that’s another story.)

Forgive me, but what with the olde-tyme cigar-chomping Politico persona you've chosen, one can't help but wonder if you're In Character here, or testifying. I assume the latter, as it rings of lived lore. To which I would only add, hard rains a-fell once, they gonna fell again. Let's hope the ol' levee holds. All drink!

Long story short, my computer and data went poof, and now I am living on a tablet.

So, what's been happening while I've been exiled to the electronic frontier? :)

No change at Edenbridge, still just the CR-V in the driveway. Where is Renata? Where is the Ford Escape? (for that matter, where is Rob's car?)

I peeked into Mama Fo's street for the first time today, and saw Randy. Gosh, he does always wear that hat, doesn't he? He was unloading his white Escalade. That street dead ends quicker than I thought, so you feel quite conspicuous, and the neighbours were out, too. All wondering what I'm doing in there street, no doubt. I took a pic of my rearview mirror after I turned my car around.
am7dQCi.jpg

No change at Edenbridge, still just the CR-V in the driveway. Where is Renata? Where is the Ford Escape? (for that matter, where is Rob's car?)

Her parents' place probably, with the kids. Wanna drive by there?
Kat, you are not the Steak Queen, you are the Stakeout Queen. :)

Last edited:
Forgive me, but what with the olde-tyme cigar-chomping Politico persona you've chosen, one can't help but wonder if you're In Character here, or testifying. I assume the latter, as it rings of lived lore. To which I would only add, hard rains a-fell once, they gonna fell again. Let's hope the ol' levee holds. All drink!

Well-spotted hper. Must confess you’re right.

The FoFam is electrifying to watch because each drama presents so many personal issues that resound – often negatively – with an unbelievable diversity of observers, both in Toronto and out. So many situations give one pause to ask “what would I do in the situation?â€, or at least “WTF?!â€. Their stories push the boundaries of our moralities and expectations. They touch our sore spots. But that doesn’t necessarily translate into “Rob’s a regular guy, just like me.â€

As so many have said about FoFam, the best part is that you just can’t write this stuff.

“Sometimes a cigar is nly a cigar.â€

A note on Doug Sr’s possible family history during the 1930s:

My parents grew up in North Bay during the 1930s, and the highest level of paid public education was Grade 8. Most graduates were 14 years old. To go to any high school, fees were payable. My mother, for example, made it to the end of Grade 10 before finances sent her to work. (She ended up in NYC before she found any, but that’s another story.

Not dissimilar to the Deco and Herriott embellishment, IMHO.

I've never heard of them requiring tuition for secondary school in Ontario, but maybe the northern location made that necessary (?) In cities, Windsor's my reference, secondary school was free (both my grandmother and mother attended the same secondary school roughly 22 years apart) and I'd assume the same in Toronto. I know lack of resources still force some First Nations youths into cities to get secondary education.

I peeked into Mama Fo's street for the first time today, and saw Randy. Gosh, he does always wear that hat, doesn't he? He was unloading his white Escalade. That street dead ends quicker than I thought, so you feel quite conspicuous, and the neighbours were out, too. All wondering what I'm doing in there street, no doubt. I took a pic of my rearview mirror after I turned my car around.
am7dQCi.jpg

so smart!

My wife use to want a Escalade because her dad use to work for Cadillac. RF messed up her image of the SUV so much I might be getting a Porsche Cayenne after all. Anyone here embarrassed to have the same car as ROFO? Anyone here also have a tainted image of the caddy after ROFO. My mom has one and I mock her everytime she goes to get it serviced if she bumped into mr rehab there.

The article says it's a TTC substation at Queen and Greenwood. That is quite a distance from Russell yard (I used to live @ Dundas & Greenwood). But there is a Toronto Hydro substation on Queen at the foot of Greenwood. (Perhaps located there to support the TTC yard?) The reporter may have confused the ownership of the sub-station. But there's no doubt about high voltage. And apparently, Ford spawn were getting illegally into places they oughtn't to have been, even back then.

i was trying to see if there was a ttc substation there historically, but instead (so far) found this... from a completely different year and location, but the similarities are shocking. (was that too much?)

Staff at the Firehall #17 (at Herbert Street) saved the life of a seven-year boy who was badly electrocuted when playing around the nearby TTC substation, a cordoned-off danger area behind two fences. They found him lying face down in the gravel, having received 13,000 volts of alternating current. He was resuscitated, taken to Toronto East General Hospital and treated for second degree burns.

http://www.beachmetro.com/2011/06/14/1978-year-elections/

My wife use to want a Escalade because her dad use to work for Cadillac. RF messed up her image of the SUV so much I might be getting a Porsche Cayenne after all. Anyone here embarrassed to have the same car as ROFO? Anyone here also have a tainted image of the caddy after ROFO. My mom has one and I mock her everytime she goes to get it serviced if she bumped into mr rehab there.

Apparently they're popular with rappers, y'know gangsta stylee.
There's a political aspect to the 'Lade in the US, too.
It's a Bling King ride, homies

And to think, Doug and Randy got it for him, as they thought it was a more appropriate image for T.O.'s mayor....

Last edited:
The FoFam is electrifying to watch because each drama presents so many personal issues that resound – often negatively – with an unbelievable diversity of observers, both in Toronto and out. So many situations give one pause to ask “what would I do in the situation?â€, or at least “WTF?!â€. Their stories push the boundaries of our moralities and expectations. They touch our sore spots. But that doesn’t necessarily translate into “Rob’s a regular guy, just like me.â€

As so many have said about FoFam, the best part is that you just can’t write this stuff.

“Sometimes a cigar is only a cigar.â€

True enough. And Freud would have a field day. Oedipal/Elecrtra-Kal/Icarean/Sysiphean - the whole gang's here! It's special moment for our fine city. Though we should make the most of it, the 'WTF?' is prolly the more likely response to this ghastly mythopoedia, as the resonance beyond the True Believers is likely negligible at best. For most, I expect, the boundaries of morality and expectation are now shards of an unexpectedly busted ethical ceiling. Give pause? No way. The better question is "Do you wanna go faster?" (as the guy at the CNE's Polar Express ride used to goad). Yes, yes we do!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back