377     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 854     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I searched the Toronto Star archives for the 1954 Lake Ontario swim.

Lots on Marilyn Bell, but I saw nothing about "Douglas Ford" or "Doug Ford". Not saying it's not true, but I couldn't find any evidence of it in the Star's 1954 online archives.

Also, if DoFo Sr. was born in 1933 ( according to Wikipedia ), that would have made him 19 in 1954.

http://www.thegridto.com/city/politics/5-crazy-things-we-learned-from-crazy-town/

1. Historical tidbits: In 1954, 15 years before the mayor was born, his dad, Doug Ford Sr., set out with Marilyn Bell in her attempt to swim across Lake Ontario. Bell made it to the other shore; Ford did not.

I searched the Toronto Star archives for the 1954 Lake Ontario swim.

Lots on Marilyn Bell, but I saw nothing about "Douglas Ford" or "Doug Ford". Not saying it's not true, but I couldn't find any evidence of it in the Star's 1954 online archives.

Also, if DoFo Sr. was born in 1933 ( according to Wikipedia ), that would have made him 19 in 1954.

His bio also says that he didn't complete the swim, so one of Doug Sr's greatest accomplishments actually ended in failure. Must be a Ford thing.

Actually, I'mm 99% sure it's the same Jim McMillan that ran for mayor in 2010 (and possibly same guy you're referencing). I remember seeing him on Yonge St. hanging up posters, and also on the subway serenading me and my wife with that version of This Land is Your land. :)

[video=youtube;73-16POxLgw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73-16POxLgw[/video]

"1. Historical tidbits: In 1954, 15 years before the mayor was born, his dad, Doug Ford Sr., set out with Marilyn Bell in her attempt to swim across Lake Ontario. Bell made it to the other shore; Ford did not."

Yes. I've seen that many times in recently published material. But, what ( or who ) is the source of this information?

I could find no mention of it in the 1954 Toronto Star ( available online through Toronto public Library ).

Last edited:
Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 17s

The solo pro-Ford protester has migrated to the Star office, where he's failing in his impossible attempt to goad Royson into non-calmness.

WTH is under her jacket above her right hip? It seems too high to be a fat bulge. It's like she's carrying another bag under her coat or something.

Maybe she was shoplifting a few hams from the local supermarket and still had a couple tucked beneath her pettycoats?

Gotta agree she's looking rough as hell. Don't expect the Family to stage any kind of intervention, though. It's not like she's running for public office, or is in any way important.

You know, I kinda like this guy. Freedom of speech and all that. I hope he doesn't get booted for singing.

Uh...yeah. If he's being deliberately disruptive on the premises, then why should he be held to any accountable standard any more than his heroes, the Fords? :rolleyes: Rules are for commie pinko elitists.

Aha! Exactly! I thought that I may have had a photo of him when we met on the subway or Yonge St., but I didn't.

Cheers,
Vic

I love this guy. He should stay in the race. Rob can drop to concentrate on his health, safe in the knowledge that the Nation is in capable hands.

Speaking of Rob, what's the over/under that'll he'll call Wormington tonight and try to get in front of the debate coverage?

Gotta agree she's looking rough as hell. Don't expect the Family to stage any kind of intervention, though. It's not like she's running for public office, or is in any way important.

Well, if she dies in the next few years Mikey can always use her as part of his origination myth.

1954 Lake Ontario swim

One September night, Bell started her swim across Lake Ontario from Queens Beach Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario to Toronto at virtually the same time as world famous United States long-distance swimmer, Florence Chadwick. The Canadian National Exhibition (CNE) in Toronto had offered Chadwick $10,000 to swim the lake as a publicity effort for the annual exhibition. Bell, who felt the offer snubbed Canadian swimmers, took on the challenge without pay with the encouragement of Alexandrine Gibb, a Toronto Daily Star reporter. After several hours, Chadwick was forced to give up with stomach pains and vomiting, while 16-year-old Bell completed the swim, the first person ever to swim the thirty-two-mile (52 km) distance when she arrived in Toronto the next day. A third swimmer, Torontonian Winnie Roach, also attempted the swim at this time, but failed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marilyn_Bell#1954_Lake_Ontario_swim

No mention of any other swimmers. Which is why I tried to verify the story in the Star archives.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back