662     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 592     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 734     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grimes, Mammo and Lindsay Luby vs.Layton and Perks, acrimonious between Mammo and Perks, but no, a citation of Grimes and Mammo being feted never came up for me.

Citation? I'm afraid you lost me there.

Could Grimes or Mammo not have been "entertained" at Muzik without it being public knowledge or leaving a trail?

From what I have seen on-line (a couple of dozen docs, many by various penny stock follower-types plus the parent company's recent SEC filings), it does not seem that the 'strategic' (in single quotes because it is boring bumpf that I would be ashamed to use myself with a straight face) financing proposal went anywhere.

Strategic = BS decible level 100+.
Stategic proposal = BS decible level 125+.

Any number of things doubtless have happened without being public knowledge or leaving a trail.

Indeed:

"Reports that say there's -- that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things that we know that we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know."
—Donald Rumsfeld, then-United States Secretary of Defense

Indeed:

"Reports that say there's -- that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things that we know that we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know."
—Donald Rumsfeld, then-United States Secretary of Defense

From wikepedia:

The Plain English Campaign gave Rumsfeld its Foot in Mouth Award.[SUP]
[/SUP]

However, linguist Geoffrey Pullum disagreed, saying the quotation was "completely straightforward" and "impeccable, syntactically, semantically, logically, and rhetorically".[SUP]
[/SUP]

As for the substance of his statement, Rumsfeld's defenders have included Canadian columnist Mark Steyn, who called it "in fact a brilliant distillation of quite a complex matter", and Australian economist and blogger John Quiggin, who wrote, "Although the language may be tortured, the basic point is both valid and important ... Having defended Rumsfeld, I'd point out that the considerations he refers to provide the case for being very cautious in going to war."[SUP]

[/SUP]Psychoanalytic philosopher Slavoj Žižek extrapolates from these three categories a fourth, the unknown known, that which we intentionally refuse to acknowledge that we know:* "If Rumsfeld thinks that the main dangers in the confrontation with Iraq were the "unknown unknowns", that is, the threats from Saddam whose nature we cannot even suspect, then the Abu Ghraib scandal shows that the main dangers lie in the "unknown knowns" – the disavowed beliefs, suppositions and obscene practices we pretend not to know about, even though they form the background of our public values."

In his 2007 book The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable, Nassim Nicholas Taleb tells of a presentation on uncertainty he was requested to give to the United States Department of Defense shortly before Rumsfeld's speech. The core message of The Black Swan is that unknown unknowns are responsible for the greatest societal change.

Rumsfeld named his autobiography Known and Unknown: A Memoir.

The event has been used in multiple books to discuss risk assessment

*As in, "I cannot comment on a video that I have not seen or does not exist."

Last edited:
^^
It's also a standard tool of project management. You can price out and estimate known knowns quite well and take a reasonable stab at known unknowns, but unknown unknowns really throw a wrench into things.

For example, if you need to estimate the cost of renovating union station you first factor in all of the labour and material required, which you know based on past work. Then you build in contingencies for things like currency fluctuations and labour unrest, where you know that you don't know what will happen over the course of the project. But you can take a decent stab at guessing likelihood/cost and plan accordingly. However, let's say a Russian blockade of pacific shipping causes your supplies to get held up. The costs to your project can be huge but there is no way you would have considered that when you drew up the budget five years ago. Those are the unknown unknowns, and your inability to estimate the risk is what makes planning hard.

I'm not even sure pud99's not just teasing, as I had the Rumsfeld quote in a sig for awhile.

youtube - Donald Rumsfeld Unknown Unknowns!

Errol Morris on Donald Rumsfeld, The Unknown Known, and Evidence-Based Journalism

Our job is to figure out, 'Were there wmd in Iraq, Yes or No?' Not the 'unknown unknown' and some excursion into fanciful epistemology. Our job is to separate fact from fiction...my job is to deal with the evidence, in a way it's my only job, that's THE JOB, the job is evidence, the job is thinking, the job is ratiocination, the job is separating truth from untruth.

Last edited:
GreeneStone is going to have a serious PR issue on their hands when Ford makes his spectacular fall off the wagon.

Yeah, no kidding! Hard to sell $100K rehab when your most famous client inevitably flames out in very public fashion.

This occurred to me as well. It may also just be a matter of Thug doubling down the pandering to "the base" because he realizes they're all he has left. And let's face it, beating up on smaller, weaker targets - like autistic kids, say - gets right to the heart and soul (such as it is) of Ford Nayshun.

Whatever the specifics, it had the feeling of a calculated move to me. Thug's been AWOL in his ward for weeks now; months, even. And he decides to resurface to make this nasty little stand? No, he obviously figures he has something to gain here. Though in fairness, I should mention I do think he was expressing his opinion honestly, being that he's a worthless piece of scum and all.

I have a hard time believing he's gonna gain any new votes with this. As for old votes:

Blakegk ‏@Blakegk May 18
what's worse? Place where kids with #autism live or urbrother's house? You tell me Doug. Ashamed I voted for Rob, wont happen again #TOpoli

Blakegk ‏@Blakegk 13h
Proud of the support MTS and RTs I've gotten. Respect the taxpayer but how about just common respectful decency Doug? #TOpoli #autism

I think anyone who has a kid with autism or other special needs who voted for them is feeling sick right now, as this guy is.

Windsor native makes Toronto-themed Cards Against Humanity game

01-12-arts-Scotty2Naughty-RobFordCards2-700x393.jpg
01-12-arts-Scotty2Naughty-CardsAgainstToronto3-700x503.jpg

http://urbanitenews.com/2014/05/19/windsor-native-makes-toronto-themed-cards-humanity-game/

Attachments

• 01-12-arts-Scotty2Naughty-RobFordCards2-700x393.jpg
    01-12-arts-Scotty2Naughty-RobFordCards2-700x393.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 799
  • 01-12-arts-Scotty2Naughty-CardsAgainstToronto3-700x503.jpg
    01-12-arts-Scotty2Naughty-CardsAgainstToronto3-700x503.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 793
Shawn Leon, one-time coke trafficker (busted with 8 kilos by TPS, and faced three distinct charges in the U.S., each for 5 kilos or more), Real Estate Developer, Chairman, Chief Executive Officer and President, Greenestone Healthcare Corporation (a Colorado Corporation incorporated under Colorado Law), and avid golfer? Pic via bayviewgolfpro.com
Presidents-Cup-Runner-Up.jpg

Shawn Leon has..."experience in various industries including Industrial Minerals, Aggregates, Oil and Gas, Mining, Financial, Technology, Hospitality and Medical. Mr. Leon has provided financing and capital markets oversight for many of these ventures in Canadian and US markets."

The company was formerly known as Nova Natural Resources Corporation and changed its name to Greenestone Healthcare Corporation in May 2012.
wtf? So, when you're done doing resource extraction, you create bucolic retreats for the "Executive" class. Nice work, if you can get it.

Apologies for the portions of this that have been previously posted.

Attachments

• Presidents-Cup-Runner-Up.jpg
    Presidents-Cup-Runner-Up.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,281
Last edited:
Jordan ‏@JordanApps

What happens when Rob Ford is in rehab? A deer holds up traffic, makes for top story. Welcome back Toronto, I missed you

I'll take this over the zoo we've had over the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back