663     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 359     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 462     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think Gene Jones's biggest shortfall is not conveying to the senior government mandarins the dire need TCHC has for seed money...I think he left it in the hands of pols rather than getting his feet dirty or else he didn't know how to do it the Canadian way...

Whoa whoa whoa... let's leave Olivia Chow out of this.

7lS3LR5.jpg

Tory is an every-man too apparently ... just like you or me ...

Which also throws focus upon the fact that by nature, TCHC provides housing to those who're "on assistance". Including those w/some kind of mental problems or some kind of impairment that prevents them from leading "normal existences", or even a "normalized" perspective on how things really work.

Wouldn't mind knowing what makes those "dozen loud ones" tick.
TCHC doesn't just have subsidized housing. They have lots of market rent buildings too. One bedrooms might be $1050 or 1100/mo. (Edit: whereas I used to work with dual-diagnosis clients who only paid $175/mo for their subsidized apt.)
They are not a slum lord, but you can tell they aren't the best caretakers either.
My sister lives in a co-op complex near Christie and Dupont.
There are some TCHC market rent townhouses near by. The TCHC places have no landscaping in the front or anything to make it look nice. Just concrete meeting brick.
The front of the co-ops is in stark contrast, with nice shrubs and gardens.

Last edited:
Funny thing is, it may not necessarily be Watts-type violence. Remember that a number of pages back, I speculated on the hypothetical of a Boston Marathon-type calamity at World Pride, perhaps fueled by Ford Nationers frightened that "their jig is up" (and more likely the IHTWORF end than the Dicon Bloods end)

I was the first in this forum to speculate on "municipal civil war" potential--and here, through RoFo's bluster, you can speculate on how such a thing could start. (Though admittedly, my original speculation was on "what if he won again" grounds, yet this present speculation is more on "what if the jig was up for him" grounds.)

Do you think RoFo wants to start a reign of terror?

I don't think he wants to start one - but he'd love to be the benefactor of one... for sure - just go back to "you just invaded Kuwait" rant...

He loves to talk sh*t though. There is a big difference between running your mouth and actively causing something.
I don't even like to give energy to the thought of RF being responsible for Fraud Nayshun getting so worked up that they start hurting people. ....It seems so evil and insidious.
He is too stupid to engineer something masterful and terrifying. But in his megalomania, he could definitely try and get his people to start causing sh*t.

Belly Busters is pretty awesome, good choice. Although it's better at 2am than 3pm.

I lived down the street from BBs for about 20 years, would pass it on my almost-nightly trips to the Yonge & Yonge Loblaws. Always thought I should go in sometime. Never did...:(

TCHC doesn't just have subsidized housing. They have lots of market rent buildings too. One bedrooms might be 1050 or 1100/mo.
They are not a slum lord, but you can tell they aren't the best caretakers either.
There are some TCHC market rent townhouses near by. The TCHC places have no landscaping in the front or anything to make it look nice. Just concrete meeting brick.

One of my longest and dearest friends moved into a TCHC around Queen & Bathurst about 2 years ago, a 1990's building that's clean, safe and she raves about how great and friendly the superintendent is. She pays just under $1200 for 2/bed (market rental) with her teenage son. She's a single mom, works for the City... She recently got her parents out of the way-too-expensive College Park apartments and into another brand new TCHC over on Dan Leckie Way. 2/bed, & they pay around the same rent, also a market rental.

Some TCHC building management duties have been outsourced to Greenwin. Haven't heard much about how well its working out yet...

Repair back log when Jones came on board 751M...estimated backlog on exit 862M
Single family dwelings to be sold 2012 55...unable to find an update outside of the article in the Star about the one in the Beach they've taken off market....
Applications for residence are at somewhere around 94K in 2014 which seems to me to be an increase of 20K over 2012
Alexandra Park redevelopment is now on going (good thing)
Regent Park revitization is completing Phase 2 and getting ready for Phase 3 (good thing)
Lawrence Park redevelopment seems to be progressing albeit slowly (good thing)
I would think Gene Jones's biggest shortfall is not conveying to the senior government mandarins the dire need TCHC has for seed money...I think he left it in the hands of pols rather than getting his feet dirty or else he didn't know how to do it the Canadian way...

Thanks for replying, Greg. I also found an article on Torontoist by David Haines that offers up a more or less similar conclusion. Sounds like Gene is good with tenants, but hasn't really done much turnaround HMS TCHC. Not any easy task for anyone, admittedly. But it doesn't seem like there's much on his record that would mitigate the problems identified by Crean. It's a sorry situation.

I realized how bad this effect was the other day when in line at a restaurant. The TV screen was playing CP24 on mute, and on a day when Executive Committee voted to turn down a huge raise, the headline playing silently for all the restaurant to see was "City Council votes itself a raise." ...but they voted to keep the same one they get every year in line with cost of living instead of raising it!

If Ford opponents don't come out against and offer a good, soundbite-y rebuttal to his insane points, he runs the message.

I don't know what to make out of CP24, I am not really sure if they are "pro ford" or right-wing or whatever. Or is it more that they are just lazy. I think Ledrew and a lot of the younger reporters are just bad at their job (Simpson was okay when she was at CH) Guys like Ford can say anything without being challenged. I think Lagogianes is very pro Ford and they way he reports you can just tell it always with a Ford positive spin.

Friday Lagogianes was interviewing wacko Ford/Jones supporters before the announcement. Of course the Ford supporting parrot repeat classic Ford talking points, "Jones did a great job, Conspiracy, others wanted revenge" etc. Of course ignoring why Jones is being let go from the report. Lago looked at the camera and said "There Ford side, the other side and the truth is somewhat in the middle.

I started screaming at the TV, no it's not! If i say 2+2=4 and Ford says 2+2=8, the answer ISN'T 6. It's FOUR. When Doolittle/Donavan say they say a Rob smoking crack, and Rob replied with "no i didn't it's a conspiracy" the truth wasn't in the middle. Ford LIED. The ombudsman is an independent party who wrote a detailed report. Ford is a compulsive liar who speaks in generalizations. They both don't have the same credibility. Most of the media shrugs it off like it both opinion.

I am a big fan of Jon Stewart and that's one of this biggest pet peeves of media down there (especially CNN) they give both sides equal weight when one side has much more legit facts on their side than the other that is just spin.

TCHC doesn't just have subsidized housing. They have lots of market rent buildings too. One bedrooms might be $1050 or 1100/mo. (Edit: whereas I used to work with dual-diagnosis clients who only paid $175/mo for their subsidized apt.)

You have to remember TCHC is a conglomeration of three separate Housing Authorities and each of them had a slightly different raison d'etre...the Old Toronto Cityhome and its efforts into Co-ops, MTHA (Metro) and its subsized housing finally OHC (the Province) and its take on the social requirements of the disabled, seniors and social assistance recipients...TCHC as an entity has only been around since 2002 (12 years) so there are going to be growing pains considering how it was hatched out of the minds of the Harris Conservatives and implemented during Lastman's last term...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back