220     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 673     10 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 405     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thought this was worth a re-post. Some interesting stuff here. Not enlightening, necessarily, but interesting.

https://twitter.com/jonechr/status/440403875380465664/photo/1

Delurking to provide comment: This has been an interesting twitter day!

I originally posted this photo back in March as a response to another comment. The guy who responded (who I am currently in battle with over who gets the most retweets, and the loser get to buy the first round of beer! :D) for some reason retweeted the photo early this morning! This followed with enough retweets to rouse me out of a dead sleep and an email from Kevin Donovan asking for comment. While I've been trying to keep up, it's hard to write properly in 140 character or less!

So some background: I originally remembered of the photo existence when the Globe article came out about Doug and his, ahem, youth indiscretions posted along with yearbook photos of the terrible twosome. I spent a good four hours digging through boxes in the middle of the night trying to find it. While it's not the best photo (he was very camera shy) his name was Rob and from Etobicoke. I was 10(ish?) and regularly attended YMCA summer camp on the Islands each summer. Since I normally attended each session, I tended to get the know the councillors more than other kids because they were the more constant (and more interesting) and built a special rapport with them.

The man in this photo, did not last long. Not only was he rude and uncomfortable, it was widely rumoured that he was the provider of drugs to the other councillors. Not to decry the YMCA or their staff, because all-in-all, it was amazing and memorable experience to attend the camp -- but drug usage was rampant. After all, do you want to spend your summer between courses taking care of snot-nosed hyper kids? But perhaps the dealing was a little too much for other councillors to stomach and he was reported.

While I'm not 100% convinced that this is our "illustrious" Worship, the coincidences are a little hard to ignore. He had the same high-pitched annoying voice -- specifically when you hit him with a pool noodle -- and often attempted to organise football games, failing mostly at times. And while a poor photo taken from an angle of my youthful stature, it does look a heck of a lot like him!

Donovan has said the he personally doesn't know of him ever working there but will be making some calls and will keep me informed. After all, if he did, would he advertise it after being unceremoniously relieved of his duties? Given Rob's track-record, I'd assume: No.

Well, that was a fun first post. Back to lurking! (...and keep up the great comments and photos, I love UT! :D )

So far based on (1) Nunziata a supporter of Jones and Nunziata told press she is "disappointed" with board's decision and it looks like board will have to "start over" and (2) Ford scowling as he left. Press waiting for announcement by TCHC chair.

Now official. Jones out, immediately. Press release claims it was "mutual decision".

Last edited:

I originally posted this photo back in March as a response to another comment. The guy who responded (who I am currently in battle with over who gets the most retweets, and the loser get to buy the first round of beer! :D) for some reason retweeted the photo early this morning! This followed with enough retweets to rouse me out of a dead sleep and an email from Kevin Donovan asking for comment. While I've been trying to keep up, it's hard to write properly in 140 character or less!

So some background: I originally remembered of the photo existence when the Globe article came out about Doug and his, ahem, youth indiscretions posted along with yearbook photos of the terrible twosome. I spent a good four hours digging through boxes in the middle of the night trying to find it. While it's not the best photo (he was very camera shy) his name was Rob and from Etobicoke. I was 10(ish?) and regularly attended YMCA summer camp on the Islands each summer. Since I normally attended each session, I tended to get the know the councillors more than other kids because they were the more constant (and more interesting) and built a special rapport with them.

The man in this photo, did not last long. Not only was he rude and uncomfortable, it was widely rumoured that he was the provider of drugs to the other councillors. Not to decry the YMCA or their staff, because all-in-all, it was amazing and memorable experience to attend the camp -- but drug usage was rampant. After all, do you want to spend your summer between courses taking care of snot-nosed hyper kids? But perhaps the dealing was a little too much for other councillors to stomach and he was reported.

While I'm not 100% convinced that this is our "illustrious" Worship, the coincidences are a little hard to ignore. He had the same high-pitched annoying voice -- specifically when you hit him with a pool noodle -- and often attempted to organise football games, failing mostly at times. And while a poor photo taken from an angle of my youthful stature, it does look a heck of a lot like him!

Donovan has said the he personally doesn't know of him ever working there but will be making some calls and will keep me informed. After all, if he did, would he advertise it after being unceremoniously relieved of his duties? Given Rob's track-record, I'd assume: No.

Well, that was a fun first post. Back to lurking! (...and keep up the great comments and photos, I love UT! :D )

That's got to be him.

Now official. Jones out, immediately. Press release claims it was "mutual decision".

Press release also says Jones will get a severence payment under his employment agreement (amount not stated). Looks like the board did not have the courage to take on a fight about terminating Jones for cause - perhaps, amongst other reasons, because continuing scrutiny of his misconduct would cast continuing light on the 'abject failure' of the board to exercise any actual oversight.

/.................................

Thanks for sharing. Definitely looks like him and I keep laughing at this line "He had a high-pitched squeaky voice -- especially when you hit him with a pool noodle."

Quite the scene here. Presser didn't even finish, as soon as it was announced that Jones was dropped people started yelling. Bonnie Booth was screaming "Judas!". Ford is scrumming in the lobby and people are still yelling. One woman in a scooter is very upset with the firing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back