Status
Not open for further replies.
What could it be:

- Did drugs with the kids.
- Bought drugs from the kids.
- Sold drugs to the kids.
- Sexual assault on one of the kids.
- Physical assault on on of the kids.

Perhaps any one of these revelations would at least convince Kimmel to cut bait on Rofo Nation.

I think the football thing could be as simple as them concluding that he was not a morally appropriate person to coach a high school football team.

That's a fantastic line for his opponents -- "not appropriate for a football team -- but Mayor of Toronto? Fine"

Well Giroux wanted to interview me (I refused as I don't want my name in the papers). I'm not sure if it's because Ford was my football coach or if he thought I had other useful info. I'm really curious about what he wanted to discuss specifically but again there's no way I'm going to have my name in an ITO!

Haha, you should have agreed if and only if you got inside info on the investigation. Also, none of my business, but how long ago was this?

Regarding the Ford football firing, I wouldn't be surprised if it were partly based on the manner in which he spoke to his players. I've heard that when he coached in the TDSB, he had used extremely violent and misogynistic speeches to motivate his team (not surprising).

Can we fact check that claim that all those schools got something out of RofoBall? Seems like a lengthy list.

On the stand at trial, Ford clarified that his foundation did *not* fund Don Bosco. I challenged Warmington about a similar claim, and he backed down. The list skitters around, but the foundation has no meaningful public presence, and there is no thorough documentation to check against.

From last September (the Mayor did not reply):

Thank you very much for your prompt reply, Mr. Warmington.

With this email, I include Mayor Rob Ford in the "To" field. I want to make it very clear that this indicates I am sending a formal message to both Mr. Warmington and the Mayor of the City of Toronto. I am following up on the suggestion by Mr. Warmington to ask the Mayor directly for clarification about what, if any, equipment was located at the Don Bosco school site that was in fact purchased by the Rob Ford Football Foundation.

Mr. Mayor, a quick clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Was there any equipment at Don Bosco that can be confirmed as material purchased through the Rob Ford Football Foundation?
If so, are there associated Foundation receipts, and / or is there any documentation that establishes that it was purchased for the Rexdale Raiders exclusively?

If none of the equipment at Don Bosco can be associated with purchases by the Foundation, did the Foundation come up at all in conversation with columnist Joe Warmington for this column? If so, in what context?

I note that no correction / revision appears online in Mr. Warmington's column today. As a result, it still reads as though Foundation equipment was used by the school. In addition, I note that no mention was made indicating there was separate equipment for the Mayor's summer program with the Rexdale Raiders being stored on school grounds. Based on Mr. Warmington's statement yesterday, I now have the image of Don Bosco and the School Board being obliged to house 4 separate sets of equipment. Based on statements from the school, none of the equipment was currently being used by members of the Eagles.

In my personal opinion, this does not appear to be an efficient use of what is likely limited storage space. I am also unclear whether the past arrangement (resolved Friday with the removal of the Mayor's / Foundation's equipment) meant that volunteers for the Rexdale Raiders programme required access to the school through summer months. If so, it strikes me as reasonable to ask that such an arrangement be brought to a natural end, months after the Mayor's association with Don Bosco and the board had ended. Otherwise, TCDSB resources would continue to be dedicated to accommodate free storage and ongoing access to equipment not associated with its school.

But of course it is Mr. Warmington's column to frame as he wishes.

Mr. Mayor, I do look forward to your clarification regarding the Foundation's supply of materials for either the Eagles and / or the Raiders, with equipment stored at Don Bosco High School until last Friday.

All the best,

Jude MacDonald

On 2013-09-09, at 4:23 PM, Joe Warmington <Joe.Warmington@sunmedia.ca> wrote:

Thanks Jude.

No big deal. I paraphrased the foundation word -- to cover off the totality of it.
Mayor talked of it being gear he gathered but not that Bosco equipment was from foundation.
I didn't know there was a distinction but mayor was not indicating what your concern seems to be.
The summer program gear I believe was from foundation but you can check with him.
Sorry for confusion. Hope this helps. Jw

Subject: Involvement of Rob Ford Football Foundation with Don Bosco: Sun article makes an unattributed link between the two

Dear Mr. Warmington:

As I have communicated to you via Twitter several times today, I ask that you and The Toronto Sun clarify and confirm a specific detail included in your piece, "Catholic school board fumbles with Ford football gear."

Article published: Toronto Sun, September 8, 2013
Writer: Joe Warmington
Available online: http://www.torontosun.com/2013/09/08/catholic-school-board-fumbles-with-ford-football-gear

I have alerted the paper through various channels to the following, as you may have done the Mayor and his Foundation a great disservice by misrepresenting the Foundation's past relationship to Don Bosco and the city's Catholic School Board.

Relevant quote:

"There was no problem fielding two [Don Bosco] teams, the cost of running those teams was incurred by the civic leader and his football foundation and they had great success on the field."

(Contextual text in square brackets and emphasis in bold are mine.)

The quote above seems to indicate that the Rob Ford Football Foundation covered costs related to the Don Bosco Eagles and/or Don Bosco's football programme. Is it something that was confirmed by the Mayor, the Rob Ford Football Foundation, the charity's administrating organization (Toronto Community Foundation), or the Toronto Catholic District School Board? If not or if it is something you are asserting without any substantiation, or if your source is now unwilling to support this statement I would suggest the paper needs to revise and correct the copy immediately.

If the paper is prepared to stand by the statement as one confirmed by a reliable source, I apologize for any inconvenience in raising the matter. Please do let me know if a correction is issued, or revision occurs to the online copy. It would be a courtesy to also notify those who are also receiving this initial message from me.

Thank you for your attention,

Jude MacDonald

Last edited:
Regarding the Ford football firing, I wouldn't be surprised if it were partly based on the manner in which he spoke to his players. I've heard that when he coached in the TDSB, he had used extremely violent and misogynistic speeches to motivate his team (not surprising).

You mean to say, it wasn't a "Let's win one for the Gipper" type speech? :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI7jmCT5FEY

Last edited:
Ages ago. I went to school with Lisi and Payman. But I've wondered if they wanted scoops on his past behaviour as a coach (I never noticed anything shady btw aside from him behind hungover now and then).

I know. I could be really sneaky to try to get scoops. My wife would kill me though if I suddenly appeared in the papers.

The ITOs have a lot of people blanked out. Could you be a confidential informant?

IIRC there was a letter from Blair in the school board's information about Ford. Why would the Chief be involved in Ford coaching at Bosco? Maybe it was about the sketchy background checks on a few of Rob's associates, but maybe there is more to the story and that's why Ford is concerned about this information coming out now. Wouldn't surprise me if he hired some "entertainment" for the team or encouraged hazing as a rite of passage into manhood. All it takes is one kid letting something slip and the parents are calling the board.

I agree with this take. I doubt it's going to be something truly heinous, but the fact is any malfeasance involving children or teens gets a much different and harsher public reaction, and I would say Ford's base would take it worse than most. He probably knows that while whatever he did is less outright criminal than the Brazen 2 stuff, it might have a greater negative impact on his support.

I agree. The crack-smoking stuff is about Rob doing something to himself. The football letters are going to be about how he treats other people, notably young people. I think many people will judge that more harshly than his so-called "personal" proclivities. (Although, for the life of me, I can't understand how people accept the "personal" argument when it includes drunk-driving and showing up wasted at work.)

Pure speculation:

Something incredibly inappropriate like naked shower romps. Or a behaviour that will turn a key supporter or donor against him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back