205     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 860     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 546     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there would be any, unless he was using a city-owned car.

If you use your own car for City of Toronto business you receive a mileage allowance. It used to be a little over 50 cents per kilometre. I am sure it's gone up since I retired.

I suspect that if on City business, and through your negligence ( say being impaired ) cause a personal injury that the City can be held liable. But, I am not a lawyer.

Attachments

• rob-ford-doesnt-care-meme.jpg
    rob-ford-doesnt-care-meme.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 591
If you use your own car for City of Toronto business you receive a mileage allowance. It used to be a little over 50 cents per kilometre. I am sure it's gone up since I retired.

I suspect that if on City business, and through your negligence ( say being impaired ) cause a personal injury that the City can be held liable. But, I am not a lawyer.

Hadn't thought about that angle. I'll revise my comment to "I don't know."

Toronto has Bay Lower Station, which is used for filming subway scenes. Vancouver does not have an abandoned subway station.

The TTC earns quite some money from leasing Bay Lower station to Hollywood. In fact, the TTC at one point can quickly transform Bay Lower station into a generic New York City subway station, right down to the mosaic subway station signs and advertising, until the TTC had to scrap them due to safety concerns.

Bay Lower provides an authentic subway scene without interrupting the rest of the subway system.

Last edited:
As long as the focus on Ford's self-regarding behaviour, a decent chunk of the electorate is going to say "I don't care what he does in his spare time." I'm not saying I don't care that he smoked crack, but there are so many items that are higher on my priority list.

Most urgently, as I mentioned, is I want him to be stopped from drinking and driving. He is going to kill someone.

But there are other issues, such as: Was the mayor of Toronto blackmailed by drug dealers and gun-runners? Why were gang members calling his City Hall number? What was his relationship with Anthony Smith? Why did he suddenly feel compelled a few weeks back to call up Warmington and deny any involvement in Smith's murder? What was his involvement in the 15 Windsor home invasion? What the hell was he doing when he tried to lie his way in to talk to Bellissimo in prison? Does he feel any remorse about committing a horrific racist attack on a taxi driver?

I could go on, but the point is that his actions do not exist in a vacuum. Other people are involved and there are real world consequences. It makes me irate when the story is about "Rob being Rob", "Havin' a few pops", "Lettin' my hair down", etc. But that's the dominant narrative.

Toronto has Bay Lower Station, which is used for filming subway scenes. Vancouver does not have an abandoned subway station.

Lower Bay is not abandoned.

Nobody is going to decide to shoot an entire production in Toronto just because of the subway station, so that's irrelevant.

What's your point, anyway?

Lower Bay IS abandoned. They open it once a year for Doors Open Toronto, and you can get a permit to shoot there (I've actually physically applied for the permit once many years ago for a small shoot) But, like you say, it wouldn't be the sole reason for choosing Toronto vs. Vancouver. That has to do with money, studio space, etc.

Lower Bay is not abandoned.

Nobody is going to decide to shoot an entire production in Toronto just because of the subway station, so that's irrelevant.

What's your point, anyway?

As long as the focus on Ford's self-regarding behaviour, a decent chunk of the electorate is going to say "I don't care what he does in his spare time." I'm not saying I don't care that he smoked crack, but there are so many items that are higher on my priority list.

Most urgently, as I mentioned, is I want him to be stopped from drinking and driving. He is going to kill someone.

But there are other issues, such as: Was the mayor of Toronto blackmailed by drug dealers and gun-runners? Why were gang members calling his City Hall number? What was his relationship with Anthony Smith? Why did he suddenly feel compelled a few weeks back to call up Warmington and deny any involvement in Smith's murder? What was his involvement in the 15 Windsor home invasion? What the hell was he doing when he tried to lie his way in to talk to Bellissimo in prison? Does he feel any remorse about committing a horrific racist attack on a taxi driver?

I could go on, but the point is that his actions do not exist in a vacuum. Other people are involved and there are real world consequences. It makes me irate when the story is about "Rob being Rob", "Havin' a few pops", "Lettin' my hair down", etc. But that's the dominant narrative.

The fact the US media focuses on the partyboy angle is exactly why Ford is seeking them out for appearances. As a reelection strategy, I'm doubtful it will reengage lost supporters.

No they're not, Doug is just talking out of his ass as usual.

Also LOL @ "we get 30 minutes". Do you really think so, Doug? Is that how these things work? It's not 'Ford Nation'.
I read it as ABC charges 1.8 million for 30 seconds of ad and robby is getting 10 times that amount to advertise Toronto for free. Yes, Doug is talking out his ass. outside of super bowl stuff, even top shows like monday night football get 1/2 million or so per 30 seconds. And I don't they're getting 30 minutes. Not to mention robby won't be directing the conversation. Jimmy isn't having him in the show to let him babble about tourism in Toronto

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back