3K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 2K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 701     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounded like he was being respectful of them. But I didn't listen very far.

Why do you think it's a good interview? Does anything happen?

not my words... o.canada.com said that, and i think they meant it something like: treating them like celebrities "fits more" than treating them like politicians... which actually makes it a bad interview.

i shared easy access to the video just in case someone wanted to watch easily.

The sun has been known to make Ford look better, kind of like Fox news is to the republicans

The Sun certainly has had a history of making Ford look better, but if the reporter was aware that a second video also contained a prominent judge, even the Sun wouldn't run the story they did.

And at the end of the day, they are both FUCKING STUPID.

My wife is doing an apprenticeship right now with a Ford supporter of long standing. Ford has been able to shake his belief with all his antics. I think, despite what they might tell pollsters, that many, many Ford supporters will sit this election out and/or vote for another populist candidate.

Also -- I'm impressed at the number of commentators here and elsewhere who call Chow 'divisive'. An incredibly right-wing perspective. Conservatives say that because she gets under their skin -- that doesn't mean the center-right or -left finds her 'divisive'. On the contrary, I expect in an election year where the center wants to lean left (cough, cough), Chow will be INCREDIBLY appealing. Which, of course, will make the right wing batshit crazy, as they will not comprehend in the slightest.

I'm told Siad bragged about a judge and hockey analyst while showing Donovan and Robyn the crack video, but there's been no other info that's come to light that I'm aware of to back up those claims.

I recall those details were teased in the original Gawker piece

"Rob Ford purchases his crack cocaine from a crew of Toronto drug dealers that service a veritable who's who of A-list...Torontonians? Torontites? Anyway, a lot of prominent people in Toronto purchase and enjoy crack and powder cocaine, and they all buy it from the same folks. The same folks Ford buys it from. Ford's longtime friend, people on his staff, his brother, a prominent hockey analyst, and more."

http://gawker.com/for-sale-a-video-of-toronto-mayor-rob-ford-smoking-cra-507736569

Just a question - are the 2011 photos of Ford's foray to the Rogers Centre and environs mentioned in Doolittle's book (e.g. the time handlers didn't hear from him and split only to have him attend a sporting event shit faced)?

Also -- I'm impressed at the number of commentators here and elsewhere who call Chow 'divisive'. An incredibly right-wing perspective. Conservatives say that because she gets under their skin -- that doesn't mean the center-right or -left finds her 'divisive'.

Very good point.

Any commentator who labels a potential Ford opponent as 'divisive' either is an idiot or is on the take in some way--stands to benefit from either a RoFo reelection or some sort of less-than-totally-humiliating defeat.

I wish you all drunk stupors and enough to eat at home on this special day.

View attachment 22828

R: Interesting RF valentines here...

Everyone: I will also mention the RF YouTube channel: I have seen this mentioned on news reports and I think that
it is just another embarrassment for Toronto - RF should realize that he is living in a fishbowl and the whole world's watching...

LI MIKE

R: Interesting RF valentines here...

Everyone: I will also mention the RF YouTube channel: I have seen this mentioned on news reports and I think that
it is just another embarrassment for Toronto - RF should realize that he is living in a fishbowl and the whole world's watching...

LI MIKE

He doesn't care, Mike.

Toronto has its very own world class magician: The Amazing James Randi! He can see through lies and cuts them like a knife through hot butter!

I think the expression is usually 'hot *knife* through butter' ... seems appropriate in Doug's case.

Also -- I'm impressed at the number of commentators here and elsewhere who call Chow 'divisive'. An incredibly right-wing perspective. Conservatives say that because she gets under their skin -- that doesn't mean the center-right or -left finds her 'divisive'. On the contrary, I expect in an election year where the center wants to lean left (cough, cough), Chow will be INCREDIBLY appealing. Which, of course, will make the right wing batshit crazy, as they will not comprehend in the slightest.

I think she's "divisive" in that she is clearly an NDP/lefty with something of a niche base and will have to appeal to the centre to win. She's not divisive in the same antagonistic way Ford is; just in the sense of that she's already got her ground at the other extreme staked out. I haven't even really heard "divisive" so much as the idea that people are sick of Ford but still (allegedly) also enjoying his purported money-saving skills. So, if they can get someone else who will keep taxes low and cutting the budget (allegedly) but not hang out with gangs and do crack, that's the ideal person.

That's not Olivia Chow. She is an entirely different vision and maybe it's a better vision but she's going to have to move to the centre somewhat to win people. In a weird way she's not even running against Ford in that there is no way any Nayshun people would ever vote for her and most of her base would never vote for him (they're most definitely in the 60% we've been seeing in the polls). IMHO, he is incapable of winning anyone over at this point but (putting aside vote splitting etc. for now) she will have to add a lot of people to her existing base to win. Certainly winning over the less-liberal people outside the core will be her key move. John Tory, by contrast, has a much wider base, I think, both geographically and ideologically. Obviously right now he's seen as the Sane Conservative With a Heart, and therefore the best/most likely person to displace Ford.

So, divisive is not the right word for Chow. But it is fair to say she is the opposite of Ford in many respect and that people have strong opinions about her.

Just a question - are the 2011 photos of Ford's foray to the Rogers Centre and environs mentioned in Doolittle's book (e.g. the time handlers didn't hear from him and split only to have him attend a sporting event shit faced)?
Yeah, there's a short 5 paragraph mention of that incident.

I've been happily ignoring Sam Sotiropoulos, despite the fact that he represents the neighbourhood where I grew up. However, I made the unfortunate mistake of browsing through the guy's website. It's crazy! It's filled with all these long rambling blog posts about things like the Pythagorean theorem and the "mistakes" of Nelson Mandela. This guy really does seem to have some personality disorder and has somehow managed to install himself into public office.

Looks like someone has tipped off the teacher's federation: http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/osstf-calls-for-investigation-after-school-trustee-s-tweets-1.1687426

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back