2.8K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.8K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 673     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, it was a larger, contextual and patterned reference that clearly sailed right past you.

But, you know, cool.

What's your point? Doug is most likely a male chauvinist but many if not most parents have at some time referred to their children as their handsome/beautiful son(s)/daughter(s) or will single out some positive attribute without mentioning all of them.

For me this is not an option. I will relinquish all else to ride that buzz to oblivion. Even if it began as a timid glass of chardonnay on a ponce’s yacht, it would end with me necking the bottle, swimming to shore and sprinting to Bethnal Green in search of a crack house."

Same here. It's the only thing I have in common with Rob Ford, and a big part of what draws me to his story arc.

I see Toronto spinning its wheels (no pun intended) for the next 4 years. I don't see much change taking place for better or worse with Rob Ford as mayor.

This post is from Sept 30 2010.
I feel like spinning our wheels would have been a benign effect of Ford's 4 years. Instead, we have regressed. We have a council that cannot get it together when it sits. We have one part of the city dead set against the other. We have been distracted by Ford's shenanigans and drama. And most sadly, we have lost our pride in the city.

Last edited:
What's your point? Doug is most likely a male chauvinist but many if not most parents have at some time referred to their children as their handsome/beautiful son(s)/daughter(s) or will single out some positive attribute without mentioning all of them.

I think the point is systemic sexism. Focusing on women's appearance above all else. Ie: girls can have so much more than their looks going for them, but that is the first and (for some fathers named Doug Ford) the only thing they focus on.

+1000
Something like that. I think Ford's thinking processes, such as they are, run something like:

1) The city wants to spend money on something that's not my idea? Must be a waste of money
2) Mental health? What is that really? Can't people just pull themselves together, get a grip, get over it?
3) You can't stop people killing themselves, at least not with money. So again, waste of money.
4) What kind of people kill themselves anyway? Hmm ... well, that guy who was abused by that child molester at MLG. Maybe if we used money to nab guys like that.

In the case of the arts, he'd probably use a similar argument, except insinuate that the arts don't need money, especially if they somehow promote/hide child molestation.

Ford is very skilled at 'othering' those who don't follow his reflexive desire to withhold money whenever possible. There's something psychological to his pattern of denial of monetary assistance.

Soknacki and Ford are at U of T Scarborough campus tomorrow at 7:00.

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 2 hrs
First semi-confrontation of the 2014 mayoral campaign tomorrow night: Ford, Soknacki both going to U of T-Scarborough event at 7.

I predict this from Ford:

Soknacki = MILLER TIME

Ad naseum, plus something about Ford bringing subways to Scarborough and billions of millions of dollars saved.

I think the point is systemic sexism. Focusing on women's appearance above all else. Ie: girls can have so much more than their looks going for them, but that is the first and (for some fathers named Doug Ford) the only thing they focus on.

We can only speculate what Doug Ford's relationship with his daughters is like. I don't think a father complimenting his daughter's appearance is in any way sexist. I don't know what Doug's kids look like (other than Krista) but he would probably say the same thing even if they didn't meet the criteria for what is considered attractive by most people. Young people tend to be very sensitive about their appearance and positive comments from their parents about it can be an ego boost. I know I'd prefer the type of parent who would describe me as attractive to people as opposed to one prone to doing things like shaking my hand on the first day of school a la Stephen Harper. It wouldn't make me feel objectified.

What is sexist and patently offensive is the many comments that were made about Robyn Doolittle's appearance. I can't imagine anyone commenting about a male journalist's sex appeal or lack thereof.

Last edited:
At what point did Stintz go from thinking the Fords were insane to single-handedly delivering them their subway?

If she had stuck to her LRT position, Soknacki's campaign wouldn't exist and she'd be the consensus candidate to beat Ford.

Soknacki needs to emphasize that he is a fiscal conservative to steal votes away from Ford and shrug off any accusations of him being a Millerite, especially from the Frod Nayshun camp.

Misogyny is well and alive these days. So many Frod Nayshun members discuss Robyn Doolittle's physique and fashion, but conveniently ignore their man's niece playing in the Lingerie Football League.

If you have Crazy Town, a cat and a twitter account, take a pic of your cat with the book and tweet it to RD with #cats4crazytown. Lots of tabbies so far

Star reporting in tomorrow's paper that more Project Brazen 2 warrants were requested by police on a series of dates including Jan 14 2014 and Nov 29 2013. The Star has applied to lift the sealing orders on the court documents. The plot thickens...

BfrrMPxCAAAFJx0.png:large

https://twitter.com/goldsbie/status/430915309986250752

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back