47     0 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 454     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.1K     7 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Giorgio Mammolitti just said that by removing some of Ford's powers, "City Hall has just done more damage than any other dictatorship in the world".

That guy...I mean...seriously?

Haven't you heard? We're all communists, Rob Ford is Jesus and council is now literally Hitler.

Slip of the tongue from Robbie there "$10,000 a crack"

You need a major reality check.
Why?

Most people had no idea who Rob Ford was before the last election.
We discussed exactly what he was clearly in this thread befoore the election.

How do you know people were willing to turn a blind eye? Prove it?
I was quite clearly referring to people knowingly votiing for him. I was referring to those who did participate in this thread before the election, and still voted for him.

Do you think your average mother and father obsess over municipal politics like most people on this forum?
What does that have to do with anything I discussed.

Though it's not like one couldn't have known. When he was arrested for beating his wife, it was reported in the media. The outburst at the ACC was reported in the media. His lying about the drug charges was reported in the media. His bigoted comments were reported in the media. His faking his CV was reported in the media. Good grief, during the election, someone stuck up signs downtown about not voting for a wife-beating bigot, and everyone knew

If one is so utterly ignorant when one votes, then one shouldn't be voting.

Many older voters also don't use computers and social networking; it's very likely that many never saw what a buffoon Ford was prior to becoming mayor.
The newspapers were full of reports ... but again ... I was discussing forum members here.

By saying she must have been paid to be there, i.e. a prostitute?

Well, yeah. Getting paid to hang out with Ford is something I can understand. Work is work. I'm not even talking about anything that might have gone on in private afterwards. I'm just talking about being Ford's party companion.

Oh I was wrong, clearly, and don't mind admitting it... as for an apology? Look, a lot of people gave him the benefit of the doubt back then, excusing some of those early incidents as clumsy gaffes; in other words the 'Orientals work like dogs' comment, for example, came off less as intentionally racist, as unintentionally ignorant, to some of us at least... and at the time it was difficult to figure out to what degree attacks against Ford were merely politically motivated. We know differently now, of course, but hindsight is always 20/20.

I do agree with you that anybody who'd vote for Ford now must have deeply unsettling personal issues. For me personally, it has taught me to question popularism in politics, that maybe we should be, no must be, expecting more from the individuals we choose to serve us!
Fair enough. Heck, even I'd started to think the oriental comments might simply be innocent. His anti-gay stuff has been very consistent though for years ...

Personally, I'd never attack the likes of Tory, Stintz, or Hudak like this. I will attack them though for supporting Rob Ford. Surely they should have known better ... and were likely aware of his issues better than us! I don't think the anti-Ford stuff is political. Personally I think Mayor Lastman and Mayor Kelly are complete twits ... but that doesn't mean I don't respect them, and simply will attack their policies (though Kelly's support for Ford is difficult to excuse).

Ford held many items on the agenda for debate and on each one is asking staff if they support the work being recommended (like traffic lights, pedestrian crossings) and how much it costs. On some of the items, the staff has said they don't support the work. Ford went on a long rant about how councilors should listen to staff recommendations and not waste money when staff doesn't recommend it.

On the latest matter, Councilor Chin Lee stood up and said that the staff didn't recommend the Scarborough subway and now the city was spending billions. ZING

I am also wondering, does he usually hold so many items and argue about the cost? Or is he trying to show how alert and useful he is today?

Last edited:
So I've been out of commission for the past three days but I see 130 pages since I was last on this thread Tuesday morning. My browser took me to last viewed page in this thread, page 2011. Did something interesting happen?

Doug Ford is so useless and ridiculous in these meetings. They would get more business done if he just shut his yap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back